Improved grounding fixes DCT shudder? - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #51
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89988
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Sterling Grey

Points 1,859, Level 25
Points: 1,859, Level: 25 Points: 1,859, Level: 25 Points: 1,859, Level: 25
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 2 vegachicago Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rczrider View Post
I did a search and didn't find a thread that mentions better ground contact, but if I missed it, I apologize.

I try not to rely on one forum for everything and was poking around the Ford Focus subreddit and came across these threads:

DCT shudder mitigation.
2015 SE shudder disappeared temporarily

The idea seems to be that the grounding design is flawed, providing insufficient contact due to the ground point being painted and so contact is only using the bolt. This could cause signal problems for the TCM, producing the shudder when it has no idea what to do, and potentially damaging it over time (and part of the reason the TCM is being replaced so often). Side note: this grounding issue seems to be the cause to some intermittent A/C issues folks have experienced.

The solution is to sand off the paint at the contact point and use some dielectric grease for good measure. The video below provides a demonstration (I've skipped ahead to the demo). In the comments, someone mentioned not sanding off the paint to reduce corrosion, but to add a serrated lock washer to the grease, thereby increasing contact with minimal damage.

Thoughts? There isn't a whole lot of feedback, but of what feedback there is, it's positive. I will say here what I said on reddit: I'm skeptical for the same reason I'm skeptical of Tom's tune. If it's really this easy, I have a hard time reconciling the fact that Ford engineers have completely missed it.

But hey, this "fix" is dirt cheap and shouldn't hurt anything.

Ford Focus & Fiesta Multiple Transmission Problems One Easy Fix

EDIT: fun fact, the YouTube video was done by FordTechMakuloco, who is makuloco2000 on here and the OP of the 2012+ Transmission Shudder Issue Explained thread. The video above was made before he created the thread and as far as I can tell, he never references the video in that thread. Not sure why, but he hasn't been active since April of 2015.
Well, there is another grounding point I found on the front of the trans only visible once the bottom apron is removed. I cleaned both. Still shuddered for about 50 miles but I must say it has been much better. I'm on my third trans and must say I really doubted this fix or approach. But damn, it's been really behaving better than ever before. 400 miles and all is good so far.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #52
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 313161
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Focus SE

Points 100, Level 1
Points: 100, Level: 1 Points: 100, Level: 1 Points: 100, Level: 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 MagicCrazyThing Good Standing Member
This TSB most likely WILL NOT fix shuddering. There's other issues that this TSB addresses better.

Three things contribute to the shuddering.

Most of the shuddering is caused by the leaking input shaft seal. No amount of grounding is going to repair that seal, and these clutches aren't designed to get wet. Dry clutches start to fail, and slip when they get wet.

The second factor is heat. These clutches are not cooled properly. Clutches that are too hot wear very quickly causing them to slip more easily as time goes on.

The third cause of shuddering is TCM programming. Ford programmed these things to behave like a traditional automatic as much as physically possible. That means that they have a tendency to spend a lot of time slipping the clutch in attempts to get smooth starts, crawling, and other things that people like about traditional automatics. The problem is that slipping the clutch heats it up even further, and the now that the clutch is wet from the leaking seal, it doesn't grab like the TCM is expecting it to. That further adds to clutch slipping/shuddering.

Well, how does Tom improve/stop shuddering with a tune then?

A while back I was curious, so I asked him. This was his reply.

"I change a lot of things , times , psi , shift times , slippage allowed and much much more"

It's vague, I know. There's a lot more information here than you would think, though. Two causes of the shuddering are heat, and TCM programming. Tunning can definitely address the TCM programming, and from what I can gleam, help alleviate the heat issue. Not to mention the part where the transmission can be adjusted to suit your driving style better.

Less time with the clutch partially engaged = less heat/wear

The tunning can't make the seal stop leaking, but from what I understand, Tom can adjust the control of the transmission to make it either much less noticable, or cause it to be almost non-existent. I think this also has much to do with the transmission spending more time fully engaged after tunning seeing as it seems like most of the slipping happens when the clutches aren't fully engaged.

I imagine there is probably a few rare cases where the clutches were just too far gone as well.

So yeah, I don't know exactly what Tom does to help with the shuddering, but he's given us a pretty good idea, and I find it to be fairly believable. I actually intend to purchase the tune myself at some point in the near future.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #53
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 314697
What I Drive: 2013 ford focus

Points 186, Level 3
Points: 186, Level: 3 Points: 186, Level: 3 Points: 186, Level: 3
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 1 toolate Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I had this fix done shortly after the TSB came out. I think it helped temporarily just due to the fact that it's unhooking the battery and the TCM has to re-learn the shift strategy. My shudder eventually came back. It's probably still a worthwhile fix if the grounding actually is poor.
I agree that every time i disconnect the battery my shudder goes away temproarily.
Why does relearning solve the problem and if it does why not simply disconnect battery periodically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #54
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 997, Level 16
Points: 997, Level: 16 Points: 997, Level: 16 Points: 997, Level: 16
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolate View Post
I agree that every time i disconnect the battery my shudder goes away temproarily.
Why does relearning solve the problem and if it does why not simply disconnect battery periodically?
Because while it's "learning", it's essentially in Sport mode, meaning it's not really trying to be smooth. It's gathering data to determine the optimal shifting pattern to maximize fuel economy while providing a smooth, slushbox-like feel.

During this process, shift points occur at a higher rev, and so therefore less frequently. This leads to less feathering (slip), which may feel a bit rougher, but also means less heat and wear on the clutch plates (which are inadequately sized and made of a material that is likely too soft, anyway).

In theory, this is why Tom's tune can work (which is not to say it works for everyone, nor does it seem to be very useful if your clutch plates are already shot). Ford's software is meant to be a one-size-fits-all approach to shift strategy, but there is too much variance in individual DCTs for it to be effective. Sure, it works for some transmissions (which is why you'll hear stories of folks getting 100k+ miles on the original pack), but it's an absolute mess for others (the ones who have clutch packs replaced every 10k miles or so). If done right, Tom's tune is (theoretically) smarter than the stock one from Ford, and is customized to your particular transmission.

This doesn't fix the overarching issue of a poorly-designed transmission with defective components, but it can (again, theoretically) minimize wear and extend the life of the clutch plates. Personally, I wouldn't recommend the tune unless you're 1.) looking for a bit more performance in conjunction with mods of some kind, and/or 2.) have the last clutch pack that Ford is going to put in under warranty (and if this is the case, get the tune sooner than later).
Old 10-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #55
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52547
What I Drive: 2015 Silver SE 2.0/DCT

Points 884, Level 15
Points: 884, Level: 15 Points: 884, Level: 15 Points: 884, Level: 15
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 2 Livens Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rczrider View Post
Because while it's "learning", it's essentially in Sport mode, meaning it's not really trying to be smooth. It's gathering data to determine the optimal shifting pattern to maximize fuel economy while providing a smooth, slushbox-like feel.

During this process, shift points occur at a higher rev, and so therefore less frequently. This leads to less feathering (slip), which may feel a bit rougher, but also means less heat and wear on the clutch plates (which are inadequately sized and made of a material that is likely too soft, anyway).

In theory, this is why Tom's tune can work (which is not to say it works for everyone, nor does it seem to be very useful if your clutch plates are already shot). Ford's software is meant to be a one-size-fits-all approach to shift strategy, but there is too much variance in individual DCTs for it to be effective. Sure, it works for some transmissions (which is why you'll hear stories of folks getting 100k+ miles on the original pack), but it's an absolute mess for others (the ones who have clutch packs replaced every 10k miles or so). If done right, Tom's tune is (theoretically) smarter than the stock one from Ford, and is customized to your particular transmission.

This doesn't fix the overarching issue of a poorly-designed transmission with defective components, but it can (again, theoretically) minimize wear and extend the life of the clutch plates. Personally, I wouldn't recommend the tune unless you're 1.) looking for a bit more performance in conjunction with mods of some kind, and/or 2.) have the last clutch pack that Ford is going to put in under warranty (and if this is the case, get the tune sooner than later).
Interesting... Is there a way to force the DCT to stay in Sport mode on non-RS/ST models?
Old 10-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #56
Focus Enthusiast

Points 997, Level 16
Level Up 97% Completed
Forum Activity 36%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livens View Post
Interesting... Is there a way to force the DCT to stay in Sport mode on non-RS/ST models?
Yep. If you don't already have SelectShift (which I'm assuming you don't since you're asking about Sport mode), you can enable it via FORscan and then put it in L / Low (which will then be S / Sport on the dash). Replacing the shift knob with Hill Assist to one with SelectShift (which will allow you to select your gear while in Sport mode) is not necessary, but may be worth the $70-80 and 60-90 minutes of your time to do it if that interests you. You can replace the whole assembly (more expensive, but easier) or just the knob (which requires a little rewiring, but is cheaper).

I only did the change in FORscan, no knob replacement. I use Sport in traffic, since it prevents the transmission from shifting with every little change in acceleration. At highway speeds, I move back to Drive to take advantage of the fuel economy since (IIRC) 6th is only available in Drive.

Last edited by rczrider; 10-08-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #57
Focus Enthusiast

Points 186, Level 3
Level Up 72% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
interesting. Maybe I should just unconnect my battery every couple weeks as I like how it drives each time after i do so
Old 10-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #58
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 410021
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus 5 door Titanium

Points 381, Level 7
Points: 381, Level: 7 Points: 381, Level: 7 Points: 381, Level: 7
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 1 SupraGuy Good Standing Member
Probably better to do the Forscan mod and use sport mode in the city. There are other things that get reset by disconneting the battery that you are probably better off not resetting.

Losing things like learned fuel trim will impact economy and the life of the catalytic converter. It's also a pain to reset clocks, radio presets and the like.

1990 Toyota Supra turbo
I think the cams are still stock...
Old 10-08-2019, 09:54 PM   #59
Focus Enthusiast

Points 186, Level 3
Level Up 72% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
Funny thing is my mileage GOES UP after battery disconnect.
Why will the catalytic converter get affected? Sorry to be ignorant
Old 10-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #60
Focus Enthusiast

Points 997, Level 16
Level Up 97% Completed
Forum Activity 36%
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolate View Post
Funny thing is my mileage GOES UP after battery disconnect.
I doubt that. At least, not in any meaningful way.

IIRC, learning is generally complete after a couple of hundred miles (I suppose it depends how many of those require frequent shifting, though). That's not even a full tank. Certainly mileage can differ from tank to tank (and day to day and season to season, etc), so that's not really enough time to see any significant or permanent improvements to mileage.

I'm guessing you're looking at the dash to get your MPG estimate? Some people swear theirs are spot-on; mine has overestimated every single tank since the day I bought the car, and by at least 2MPG (and frequently 3-4MPG). I keep track of my mileage in Fuelly, and my dash MPG calculator is garbage.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in