Improved grounding fixes DCT shudder? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2018, 07:05 AM   #11
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 1,012, Level 17
Points: 1,012, Level: 17 Points: 1,012, Level: 17 Points: 1,012, Level: 17
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 47%
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Exactly !

Tom
So to be clear, you're saying this will have no positive effect whatsoever after adaptive learning kicks back in?

Personally, I'm not claiming this fixes anything. I have, however, noticed multiple users (reddit comments in the Focus and Fiesta subs, YouTube comments) claim their shudder has not come back after more than a month. I realize that the time required for adaptive learning to complete is dependent on the mileage, but I can't believe they're all folks who drive only a couple of hundred miles in a month. Maybe, though.

I would also like to point out that it's a Ford tech that posted the video, so it's not just some joe schmoe with a socket wrench and a wild idea.

In any case, I (and the community as a whole, I'm sure) would appreciate it if anyone who does this will report back after a month or so, or after 1000 miles (IIRC, that's enough time for the process to have completed). The more data we have, the more we can be confident that it does or does not do anything.

PS - Tom, while I (possibly) have your attention, irrespective of your tune, do you believe utilizing Sport mode in city traffic helps to minimize issues with DCT by increasing shift points and thereby decreasing shifts overall?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2018, 07:57 AM   #12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 290426
What I Drive: 2014, Race Red, SE HB

Points 59, Level 1
Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 93Cobra#2771 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Adaptive will have its learning done after a few driving cycles. It doesnít take as long as a lot of people think.

Will hopefully be able to drive it some next week (my teenage daughters car) and see if it made any difference.

Saw no signs of bad connectivity, no heat, no arcing, etc.

Iím not expected any change other than the trans relearning shift points for however long.

Firmly believe itís in the tune, and if I still have it after warranty is gone Iíll get toms tune for sure.

Whoever said ďmake it feel like an automatic transĒ needs to be kicked squarely in the privates.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Old 11-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #13
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52547
What I Drive: 2015 Silver SE 2.0/DCT

Points 884, Level 15
Points: 884, Level: 15 Points: 884, Level: 15 Points: 884, Level: 15
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 2 Livens Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rczrider View Post
... I will say here what I said on reddit: I'm skeptical for the same reason I'm skeptical of Tom's tune. If it's really this easy, I have a hard time reconciling the fact that Ford engineers have completely missed it.

Concerning the 'Tune' side of your argument, Ford's engineers most likely did NOT miss it. The problem is with the Managers at Ford who wanted the DTC to shift and feel *exactly* like an normal hydraulic automatic. The only way to do that was to have the clutch slip and be feathered waaay more than a manual transmission should be. I'm sure the engineers knew the clutch glazing and shudder issues this would cause... But depending on the culture at Ford they may not have raised those concerns too strongly or if they did they were completely ignored.

I do not have Tom's tune, so Im no expert, but from what Ive read about it the reason it works is that it makes it shift more like a manual transmission. This does result in jerkier shifts, but honestly I like that and think most Ford drivers would as well.

It would be interesting to get Ford's opinion on Tom's tune, or any other 'sporty' shift tune that may be out there. It seems like it would be incredibly easy to add a tune to a software update and have it available as a Sporty mode that you could toggle between in a setting somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #14
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,012, Level 17
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 47%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livens View Post
Concerning the 'Tune' side of your argument, Ford's engineers most likely did NOT miss it. The problem is with the Managers at Ford who wanted the DTC to shift and feel *exactly* like an normal hydraulic automatic. The only way to do that was to have the clutch slip and be feathered waaay more than a manual transmission should be. I'm sure the engineers knew the clutch glazing and shudder issues this would cause... But depending on the culture at Ford they may not have raised those concerns too strongly or if they did they were completely ignored.
I don't agree. I don't see them spending hundreds of thousands (probably over a million dollars at this point) in hardware and shop time to keep replacing clutch packs. And why is the TCM being replaced? Are you saying it's being worn out by too much feathering? This is a lot of money for Ford the lose just so that the ride is a little smoother. People might complain about the "rough" shifting (and only rough compared to a slushbox), but I assume they complain more about taking their cars in for new clutch packs every 15k miles.

When it comes down to it, neither of us can know and we're just swapping opinions.

Quote:
I do not have Tom's tune, so Im no expert, but from what Ive read about it the reason it works is that it makes it shift more like a manual transmission. This does result in jerkier shifts, but honestly I like that and think most Ford drivers would as well.
Doesn't the Sport mode also shift more like a real manual? Or does it just increase the RPMs at which the shifts take place?

Quote:
It would be interesting to get Ford's opinion on Tom's tune, or any other 'sporty' shift tune that may be out there. It seems like it would be incredibly easy to add a tune to a software update and have it available as a Sporty mode that you could toggle between in a setting somewhere.
Well, the guy who posted the YouTube video is (or was) a Ford tech. That's about as close to an opinion from Ford that we'll ever get.

What you just said only reinforces my view (at least, so it seems to me): if it's just tuning, you'd think it would be a nut Ford engineers could crack. Maybe Tom is a Einstein-level genius when it comes to the DCT, I don't know. Still, he claims a Ford dealership would buy his tune for each DCT Focus they sold used; seems to me word of his miracle fix should have made it back to Ford by now.

I know Tom takes offense at the very idea that I question his tune; I don't mean any disrespect or insult, I just have a healthy amount of skepticism for something that is only supported by advertisements and (by and large) the opinions of users with low post counts. No guarantee or warranty also makes me skeptical. Truly, I don't mean to imply that Tom is dishonest in any way, even though he has taken it that way several times.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:30 PM   #15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 355553
What I Drive: 15 Focus Slow Edition

Points 462, Level 9
Points: 462, Level: 9 Points: 462, Level: 9 Points: 462, Level: 9
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
FF Reputation: 2 AdhesiveTeflon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rczrider View Post
What you just said only reinforces my view (at least, so it seems to me): if it's just tuning, you'd think it would be a nut Ford engineers could crack. Maybe Tom is a Einstein-level genius when it comes to the DCT, I don't know. Still, he claims a Ford dealership would buy his tune for each DCT Focus they sold used; seems to me word of his miracle fix should have made it back to Ford by now.
Exactly Any aftermarket tune automatically voids any and all factory warranty unless they're "licensed" like Dinan for BMW.

Quote:
I know Tom takes offense at the very idea that I question his tune; I don't mean any disrespect or insult, I just have a healthy amount of skepticism for something that is only supported by advertisements and (by and large) the opinions of users with low post counts. No guarantee or warranty also makes me skeptical. Truly, I don't mean to imply that Tom is dishonest in any way, even though he has taken it that way several times.
No need to be sorry. Questioning something that affects somebody's vehicle in a large way isn't a bad thing at all. A lot of tuners (not pointing fingers, just generally speaking) tend to break out into a "god complex" where they don't feel like they should be questioned. It happened in the Evo world in 2014 and caused a huge split in the community. Almost happened again this summer.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:10 AM   #16
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 300666
What I Drive: 2015 Focus SE Auto

Points 2,188, Level 28
Points: 2,188, Level: 28 Points: 2,188, Level: 28 Points: 2,188, Level: 28
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 iceflow Good Standing Member
Folks,
Where is this frame bolt located? I'm assuming it is not the negative battery frame post. That looks nice and clean. I might monkey around with it if I have time. I remember there was something like this supposedly would cure an ABS false error on the Chevy Trailblazer family of SUV's. ......it didn't fix anything for me.
She goes in for the 250 rpm test soon, I need to do it before the 60K point. Very frustrating....fantastic looking car...what were they thinking.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #17
Focus Enthusiast

Points 59, Level 1
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflow View Post
Folks,

Where is this frame bolt located? I'm assuming it is not the negative battery frame post. That looks nice and clean. I might monkey around with it if I have time. I remember there was something like this supposedly would cure an ABS false error on the Chevy Trailblazer family of SUV's. ......it didn't fix anything for me.

She goes in for the 250 rpm test soon, I need to do it before the 60K point. Very frustrating....fantastic looking car...what were they thinking.

It is the negative battery frame post.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #18
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,012, Level 17
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 47%
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflow View Post
Folks,
Where is this frame bolt located? I'm assuming it is not the negative battery frame post. That looks nice and clean.
If this is the issue (or just one more thing that compounds the overarching issue), corrosion isn't the problem, so it doesn't matter if it looks clean.

If the Ford tech is right, it's that there's insufficient contact surface, which (might) be problematic at times of high draw.

IIRC, this was a documented issue with the 2011 Fiesta (which obviously came out a year before the first MK3 Focus, and still had a DCT) and Ford replaced the bolts with longer ones. I believe this is part of why the Ford tech advocates for improved grounding contact even with the revised bolts.

To be clear, I'm not saying this is true. Others have claimed reduced or eliminated shudder after sanding off the paint and the argument for doing seems logical to to me, in a general sense. For 10 minutes of your time a couple of bucks for dielectric grease (if you don't already have some), it can't hurt to try.

Last edited by rczrider; 11-04-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #19
Focus Enthusiast

Points 59, Level 1
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
No change for me that I can tell. 200 miles so far.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #20
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 406883
Points 1, Level 1
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 zenboy99 Good Standing Member
I recently purchased my brothers Focus for my wife and we're having the same issue. Clean up the ground contact today and it drives much better. I'll report back in awhile to see if it changes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in