Add Sport Mode and Paddle Shifter to Base 2016 SE - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #41
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 358873
What I Drive: 2016 Focus SE

Points 435, Level 8
Points: 435, Level: 8 Points: 435, Level: 8 Points: 435, Level: 8
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 FordFailus2016 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusrafaelus View Post
I could be wrong but i think you need to swap out clocksprings too? I'm confused about the forscan issue but have you a friend with a focus you can connect the elm327 to? So at least we'll know if you just got a bad elm?
I don't think so? It's supposed to be plug and play. Just swap wheels out and use Forscan to make the change.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a Focus. I thought it was a bad ELM but it's the OHP one which is supposed to work. It wasn't gonna let me into the body control module config before but I tried it again and it worked. This was before it went AWOL on me.

Someone on the Forscan forum downloaded different drivers and claimed that fixed it. Not sure if that's my problem though.

I'm also stumped that switching it to SST in Forscan did nothing. Cycling the ignition is supposed to give you S. I still have L on my display.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using FF Mobile
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #42
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 380841
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus 2.0 S

Points 17, Level 1
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 3%
FF Reputation: 1 Geniusrafaelus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFailus2016 View Post
Quote:
I could be wrong but i think you need to swap out clocksprings too? I'm confused about the forscan issue but have you a friend with a focus you can connect the elm327 to? So at least we'll know if you just got a bad elm?
I don't think so? It's supposed to be plug and play. Just swap wheels out and use Forscan to make the change.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a Focus. I thought it was a bad ELM but it's the OHP one which is supposed to work. It wasn't gonna let me into the body control module config before but I tried it again and it worked. This was before it went AWOL on me.

The next thing I'd do is to uninstall and reinstall all the software thats needed. Sorry for asking I may have missed it but the car does run fine at this point? If it is then yeah possibly just a bad elm. No way of telling unless we can use it on another focus. Nothing to lose really with reinstalling all of the software for the elm327 and forscan. Sorry i couldnt help more bud
Old 09-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #43
Focus Enthusiast

Points 435, Level 8
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
The next thing I'd do is to uninstall and reinstall all the software thats needed. Sorry for asking I may have missed it but the car does run fine at this point? If it is then yeah possibly just a bad elm. No way of telling unless we can use it on another focus. Nothing to lose really with reinstalling all of the software for the elm327 and forscan. Sorry i couldnt help more bud
Car runs just fine. Not gonna be happy if the ELM is bad. I hate buying faulty products...shouldn't I know lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 07:15 PM   #44
Focus Enthusiast

Points 435, Level 8
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
So I got back into the menu to switch over to SelectShift but the procedure keeps failing. Same thing. Failed to load secondary bootloader.

The reason I couldn't get into the SBL before and into the body control module was because my antivirus was blocking it. I made the exception on that. Now it won't work with the procedure. And it has been throwing DTCs too. I came out to the car and started it and had the CEL on.

EDIT: nope. Won't let me into body control module again after updating my PC. This is bullshit. Also, the FTDI driver site is way too confusing. I really don't get why there isn't a proper tutorial for doing this. I guess I'll try reinstalling everything, but I don't even know how to uninstall these drivers. I don't know where they are.

Last edited by FordFailus2016; 09-14-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:37 AM   #45
Focus Enthusiast

Points 435, Level 8
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
So it turns out I was missing drivers. I did the change and it didn't switch to L so I switched it back, then after an ignition cycle it switched to S, but then when I cleared the CEL it went back again.

After a couple tries I got it to switch back to S. It's all working. I find it strange that it cruises at 2500 RPM but D cruises at 2000. Also, people say it locks out 6th, but forget to realize that the paddles/gear switch can change it to 6th.

Is there any difference between cruising in 6th on S and just cruising in D? Like when I'm driving at 55-60 MPH?

I was driving in town and it just felt weird because I evidently wasn't using the paddles right. Engine felt weird. You can tell I've never driven an actual manual before lol.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #46
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 414005
What I Drive: 2015 Ford Focus Titanium

Points 10, Level 1
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 sammclaurin91 Good Standing Member
would this work on a 2015 titanium?
Old 10-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #47
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 416697
Points 1, Level 1
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 hbarcat Good Standing Member
Just a heads up. According to the FORSCan website, most of the ELM327 adapters for sale on Ebay are "bad clones" and will not work with FORSCan.

Several posts in this thread describe frustration with failure to load or implement changes and this might explain why.

See their website for details on how to differentiate compatible from noncompatable units.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:22 AM   #48
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 394106
What I Drive: 2016 Silver Focus SE Hatchback

Points 115, Level 2
Points: 115, Level: 2 Points: 115, Level: 2 Points: 115, Level: 2
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 tkassik Good Standing Member
Just to be reassured it should work, I wanted to ask a couple questions.

I have a base 2016 SE. Switched the L to S to give myself the sportier shifts. My shift knob only had the hill decent button.

If I buy a 2018 Escape wheel with shifters, it should just be plug and play? As in, remove airbag/wheel, put new airbag/ wheel on and plug in connectors, and I'm done? No worries with cruise control or any buttons?

Thanks a ton. Been wanting to do this forever lol
Old 10-29-2019, 05:04 PM   #49
Focus Enthusiast

Points 435, Level 8
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkassik View Post
Just to be reassured it should work, I wanted to ask a couple questions.

I have a base 2016 SE. Switched the L to S to give myself the sportier shifts. My shift knob only had the hill decent button.

If I buy a 2018 Escape wheel with shifters, it should just be plug and play? As in, remove airbag/wheel, put new airbag/ wheel on and plug in connectors, and I'm done? No worries with cruise control or any buttons?

Thanks a ton. Been wanting to do this forever lol
It is indeed plug and play. I absolutely love the leather wheel. So much better than that dumb, sticky, plastic foam wheel that came with my SE.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in