Radio (AHU) with USB but no Line-in Aux - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 01:38 AM   #11
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 369433
What I Drive: Focus MK3 2011, 1,6 Ti VCT

Points 1,005, Level 17
Points: 1,005, Level: 17 Points: 1,005, Level: 17 Points: 1,005, Level: 17
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 ovidiur Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
There is an extensive thread regarding dispaly in Ford Focus Tech Discussions subsection Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics
Link to this thread is:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/c...-get-them.html

It's a big thread but take your time and read it you will get many knowledge from there.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #12
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 399002
What I Drive: Ford Focus 2011 MK3

Points 476, Level 9
Points: 476, Level: 9 Points: 476, Level: 9 Points: 476, Level: 9
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 waqaslam Good Standing Member
Hi Ovidiur,
Thanks for the link. I read it all. Found a lot useful information but the same time too much information was confusing too

If I summarise my understanding correctly then I have base unit (without Sync & Bluetooth) so I only need to look for screens that start with AM5T (even though my AHU/radio's part number starts with BM5T). I guess screen part numbers are different than AHU and has nothing to do with each other. Also, I can only install OEM reverse camera with these screens (probably the ones with Nav feature).

Now it leads me to ask you few further questions:
  • Besides Nav, what is the purpose of Phone button in the new key-panel since it doesn't have bluetooth/sync?
  • How do you upload/update maps for the Nav?
  • Difference between 4.2 and 5 inches screen other than Navigation feature? or is it possible to have Nav feature in 4.2 inches screen?
  • Do we really need heat-sink for LCD screen? I live in Sweden and here we don't have harsh summers compared to winters.
  • What changes did you make in FoCCCus software in order to recognise updated LCD and radio station memory? Is there anything else that needs to be altered?
  • What screen part number are you using for your setup? That will help me a lot to find the right parts in our online junkyard

Sorry to bug you with so many questions, but I'm intrigued to know the possibilities to mod a ford focus.

Regards

Last edited by waqaslam; 06-11-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:41 AM   #13
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 369433
What I Drive: Focus MK3 2011, 1,6 Ti VCT

Points 1,005, Level 17
Points: 1,005, Level: 17 Points: 1,005, Level: 17 Points: 1,005, Level: 17
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 ovidiur Good Standing Member
Hi waqaslam
Sorry for my late answer.
If you had the cd unit like in the pictures in the first post than it is the base unit. I don't know what part number was my CD unit if it was BM5T or something else. Also my display is AM5T but don't know the full part number. Maybe later I will open it up again to install the gps antenna and than I will look.
There are two type of display regarding reverse camera. I think all AM5T will have the beige FAKRA connector which accept only OEM camera. In this case you also need an additional module.
The other type are displays with an green camera connector accept after market camera.
All 5" display have navigation and on the upper side an sd card slot only for nav card. Card for navigation you have to purchase. Search for Ford MFD navigation card on ebay
The phone button does only mute in my case because I do not have bluetooth.
I do not know if the 4,2" have navigation, I guess not but I am not shore.
Regarding cooling there is no heat sink. It is just an tube which take cool air from the vents and blow it on the area of the display where fan is (yes display has a fan).
I did not install this cooling tube and probably will not install even if in my country the temperature can be as high as 40 degree C.
The LCD will work plug and play even without any setting in central configuration with focccus.
The following setting are to be changed

172 Touchscreen: from whatever your setting was to -> 06-With display-No touchscreen, color-TFT, MFD5

and for the 0-9 key panel

214 Integrated Control Panel: (my setting was Standard ICP) changed to 05-Navigation ICP.

Hope it helps you.

Last edited by ovidiur; 06-13-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #14
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 406761
Points 2, Level 1
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 1 Robban509 Good Standing Member
Hi, I read that you installed a line in on your focus. I've just bought one and the USB won't work with my phone so I'm thinking of installing the aux connection. Where did you find the female connection and did you need to do any reprogramming or anything to make it work? I've been to ford today and they have told me that the USB port doesn't connect to the stereo?? The stereo has an aux button and a USB port, surely they are connected, no idea. Aux connection is plan B. Any help would be great, thanks
Old 11-23-2018, 03:42 AM   #15
Focus Rookie

Points 476, Level 9
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
You can install line-in by tapping into the connector port. If your unit has support for it then follow this guide:

https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/...port-fuse.html

A post with picture in the above link helped me to install the AUX. In short, you need to make use of pin 6, 17 and 18. Just buy and ordinary 3.5mm audio cable, strip one end and bind with jumper cables (GPIO cables used with arduinos or raspberry). Remove the plastic casing of jumper cable and insert into the holes of radio port on the above mentioned pin numbers. This is what I've done and it works flawless :)
Also, no programming of unit is needed to make Aux Line-in work.
Good luck.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #16
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 408143
Points 2, Level 1
Level Up 3% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 1 jbmuc Good Standing Member
Hi all and thanks a lot for your very helpful posts! You guys seem to be the only people on the internet who have got information about this specific problem. I own a Ford Fiesta 2013 and from disassembling the dashboard once already, I know that it has the exact same radio built in. However before taking it apart again and fitting the cables for the 3.5mm jack, I wanted to confirm I wont need any SW update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqaslam View Post
Also, no programming of unit is needed to make Aux Line-in work.
Good luck.
Currently, when I press the AUX button on the radio it switches directly to USB playback, without any sort of menu. Was it the same for you?
If so, once I have connected the 3.5mm jack as described, will there be an option to select between 3.5mm and USB? Otherwise, how does switching between the input sources work?

Any answer is highly appreciated!

Greetings from Germany,
Jonas
Old 12-19-2018, 11:41 PM   #17
Focus Rookie

Points 476, Level 9
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Hi
If you click on the Aux button twice and it does show you Line-in option then of-course you don't need to program any thing. However, if it's not the case then I don't know the solution.
My unit had this option from the first-day, so it was all fixed pretty simple and quick.

Good luck!
-Waqas
Old 12-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #18
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 408143
Points 2, Level 1
Level Up 3% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 1 jbmuc Good Standing Member
Thanks, I just checked and unfortunately it hasn't got that option, so it just stays in USB playback... Maybe someone else has an idea what one would need to do to configure the unit correctly?
Anyway I'm going to contact Ford and also ask them if a local dealership could help out with this. If I have any success I will post again.

Regards,
Jonas

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in