Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK3 Focus (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/)
-   -   Clearing MyKey without Admin Key (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/725570-clearing-mykey-without-admin-key.html)

firebirdude 01-26-2017 06:21 PM

Clearing MyKey without Admin Key

Somehow my car has been set to the MyKey settings which limit speed to 80mph and alert you at 75mph. Not a huge deal except there's no hysteresis used. 75mph and I get an alert, slow to 74 and go back to 75, get another alert, on and on and on. Kind of annoying.

I only have one key for the car. Maybe it was like that when I bought it. Don't know, just been living with it for so long I've forgotten. The key I have apparently isn't an Admin key as it won't allow me to turn it off. So I guess I'm dealer bound? ...... which means I'm just living with it because ZERO chance I'm paying the dealer $100 for 30 seconds to clear it.[:(]

ArcticMynx 01-26-2017 07:52 PM

some automotive locksmiths have a portable unit that can change the ECM's key configuration.

sailor 01-27-2017 12:16 AM

Moving this to the MkIII section for you.

Not that there's likely a better answer on how to do it without an admin. key, but likely more info. on the system overall.

SlowhiteJr 01-27-2017 07:09 AM

You can take it to the dealer and see if they can reprogram your key, but I doubt it. Either Ford or a locksmith if your lucky will be able to solve this I think

Elizabeth 01-27-2017 07:28 AM

Living with only one key is kind of problematic... ??
I would get the second key made.. And which could naturally be an administrative key.
So the dealer charge (for the new key) would at least BE for something useful.

tnygigles66 01-27-2017 08:23 AM

You might be able to clear it with focccus or even a tuner.

firebirdude 01-27-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailor (Post 10455802)
Moving this to the MkIII section for you.

Not that there's likely a better answer on how to do it without an admin. key, but likely more info. on the system overall.

Sry. No clue what section this should be in.[:)]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 10456226)
Living with only one key is kind of problematic... ??
I would get the second key made.. And which could naturally be an administrative key.
So the dealer charge (for the new key) would at least BE for something useful.

I don't think anybody else has ever been behind the wheel of my car, other than the tire guy driving it into the shop etc. Having only one key has never been an issue. However, that's a valid point regarding the charge at the dealer. How much are people paying for a new key/program around here? My experience with dealer cut keys is that the price varies wildly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnygigles66 (Post 10456338)
You might be able to clear it with focccus or even a tuner.

Never even heard of focccus. Looks cool. Even if it doesn't work, I'll read up on it. Thanks.

ArcticMynx 01-27-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebirdude (Post 10456346)
Sry. No clue what section this should be in.[:)]

I don't think anybody else has ever been behind the wheel of my car, other than the tire guy driving it into the shop etc. Having only one key has never been an issue. However, that's a valid point regarding the charge at the dealer. How much are people paying for a new key/program around here? My experience with dealer cut keys is that the price varies wildly.

Never even heard of focccus. Looks cool. Even if it doesn't work, I'll read up on it. Thanks.

Keys, Admin keys and parts of the Security module cannot and will never be able to be accessed by general run of the mill OBD2 port readers.. this is specific due it if anyone can reprogram keys they can hop in pug in a handheld punch the ignition and program a dummy key and you say goodbye to your car.
I had a handheld unit when i worked for ford its not a obd2 reader its a specialized piece of kit specifically setup designed and written to interact with the secruity portion of the cars ECU. to obtain and hold a key programmer you have to be a licenced and bonded locksmith if your not part of a dealership... granted you can probably find writers but they are hacks and i wouldnt trust my cars ECU on one of them if my life depended on it as you can brick the system and no key will ever work again. and a FYI when my old ignition in my focus broke and ate my key it cost me $about $475 but that was for 2 brand new genuine ford keys, 2 brand new genuine fobs and the labor to drill my broken ignition out and install an entire new ignition (P.S. thats in CDN so thats was about $380 US at the time.. not bad for 2x keys, 2x remotes, 1x ignition cylinder, labor to drill out the bad and install the new and reprogram it all.. as when i had the car it only had one key and to add keys you must have master key #1 and Slave key #2 to program additional keys and fobs

IrishBrewer 01-27-2017 10:36 AM

I also only have the single key that came with my 2012 Focus when I bought it used. The dealer quoted me $200 per key including the key itself, cutting and programming. If I bring my own key/fob blank, they want $100 for programming and $10 to cut the key. So, I was able to get 2 blanks with fobs on ebay for $40. Since you can program the third key with two working keys, that's what I plan to do. Still way too much money but you're kind of stuck with these modern keys and the specialized equipment needed to program them.

sailor 01-27-2017 10:48 AM

Prices vary a lot.

Dealer here charged $50 labor for cutting/programming two keys and a fob for the older version.