Clearing MyKey without Admin Key - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #61
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 341434
What I Drive: 2016 Red Titanium

Points 2,579, Level 30
Points: 2,579, Level: 30 Points: 2,579, Level: 30 Points: 2,579, Level: 30
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 AaronG Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by volliefd View Post
Ok so I read this thread and was hoping this would work. But I tried it yesterday and it didn't. Here are the steps i did, please take a look and see if I did something wrong.

Background: 2013 Focus SE Hatch, bought for my daughter for college, only came with one key and it was a mykey. I purchased the elm hs/ms-can device from Amazon and downloaded Forscan and Focccus. Tried Forscan first on car to make sure things communicated and everything was fine.

Steps I did:

1, Pluged ELM device into obd port, turned key to on and loaded focccus. Device left in HS-CAN position.
2, Had focccus read BCM, saved baseline to file.
3, Changed mykey input from 2 to 0. Wrote to BCM.
4, Turned car off, waiting a min, disconnected elm and turned key back to on.
5, Turned car on, said "Normal mode" on screen but still recognized mykey key and still had limitations.
6, Checked settings and it still showed 1 mykey, 1 admin key. So based on setting it to 0, the BCM didn't remove the feature.
7, Plugged ELM back in and loaded Focccus, read BCM, confirmed it was set 0.
8, Set mykey flag to 1, wrote to BCM. Repeated step 4.
9, Same as step 5. No change.
10, Did step 7 again, loaded baseline bcm program and put back loaded back to BCM.

So does anyone see anything I did wrong? I was using this a trial run because I wanted to see if Focccus worked on her car because I want to do the fog lamp install because I have the fuse 75 with a 15 amp in it.
I think you should try it all again, perhaps change the order. Because I purchased a Chinese copy obd ii device I also had a couple attempts that didn't work as intended. Eventually it did work. I suggest keeping at it.

Also, buy some extra key fobs on eBay and find a local locksmith with the computer key programmer.

Good luck.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017, 05:09 PM   #62
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 362570
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE 5 Door

Points 17, Level 1
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 volliefd Good Standing Member
Ok two questions should the elm be in hs or ms can? And key at acc level? I had it at the on level. I already planned to get new key from locksmith. Got a call into one that has a 4.8/5.0 rating.

Base pull from BCM had it set at 2. I changed it to 0 and loaded and it took, but I thought it was odd when I turned car back on it still said mykey on the screen. I thought it wouldn't say anything.

Ok now this dumb question came to mind, if I go get a new key made at a locksmith won't that be an admin key and I don't even have to do the focccus reprogram???
Old 07-13-2017, 05:32 PM   #63
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 341434
What I Drive: 2016 Red Titanium

Points 2,579, Level 30
Points: 2,579, Level: 30 Points: 2,579, Level: 30 Points: 2,579, Level: 30
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 AaronG Good Standing Member
Quote:
Ok two questions should the elm be in hs or ms can? And key at acc level? I had it at the on level. I already planned to get new key from locksmith. Got a call into one that has a 4.8/5.0 rating.

Base pull from BCM had it set at 2. I changed it to 0 and loaded and it took, but I thought it was odd when I turned car back on it still said mykey on the screen. I thought it wouldn't say anything.

Ok now this dumb question came to mind, if I go get a new key made at a locksmith won't that be an admin key and I don't even have to do the focccus reprogram???
If you were using focccus you can't select the incorrect bus. If you have the switch on high when it needs to be low it will tell you, and vice versa.

Do you have a key fob or an actual key? Mine is a fob with a high security key. The actual key is only to emergency unlock the driver's door. You can buy a fresh key fob for $300 at the dealership or $65-80 on eBay. Locksmiths can rarely do anything with systems like mine so make sure they know your exact model, not just that it's a whatever year focus.

The end result of writing to the BCM to remove mykey will be that mykey will disappear from the options screen and therefore your key fob will become a master.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #64
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 362570
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE 5 Door

Points 17, Level 1
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 1 volliefd Good Standing Member
Actual key with the integrated four button fob.

https://www.amazon.com/Button-Ford-R.../dp/B01D3OJNKM
Old 07-30-2017, 03:58 AM   #65
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

Points 1,995, Level 26
Points: 1,995, Level: 26 Points: 1,995, Level: 26 Points: 1,995, Level: 26
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 6 novus Good Standing Member
Quote:

Set it to "0", and flash. Once that's done, get out of the car and lock it. Wait a min and get back in. The MyKey option should no longer be available when you turn the car back on and go through the menus. When you set the value back, MyKey will reappear but will have been disabled.

Let us know if you have any further issues.
Hatch Nation #118
Old 02-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #66
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 388802
What I Drive: focus 2012 sel

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 gstewart Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdude View Post
Somehow my car has been set to the MyKey settings which limit speed to 80mph and alert you at 75mph. Not a huge deal except there's no hysteresis used. 75mph and I get an alert, slow to 74 and go back to 75, get another alert, on and on and on. Kind of annoying.

I only have one key for the car. Maybe it was like that when I bought it. Don't know, just been living with it for so long I've forgotten. The key I have apparently isn't an Admin key as it won't allow me to turn it off. So I guess I'm dealer bound? ...... which means I'm just living with it because ZERO chance I'm paying the dealer $100 for 30 seconds to clear it.
if you have the auto start FOB, just start the car and then go into settings and clear MYkey settings.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #67
Focus Addict

Fan#: 118189
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3, 2015 SE Hatch

Points 4,804, Level 44
Points: 4,804, Level: 44 Points: 4,804, Level: 44 Points: 4,804, Level: 44
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 3 BradKPed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstewart View Post
if you have the auto start FOB, just start the car and then go into settings and clear MYkey settings.
Yeah that's not how it works. Being able to do that would completely defeat the purpose of the MyKey
sailor likes this.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #68
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 388802
What I Drive: focus 2012 sel

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 gstewart Good Standing Member
Smile

I suggest you try it.
I bought my 2012 focus with 1 key and the auto start fob. It had mykey enabled and I was governed at 130 until yesterday. I started the car with the FOB and went into settings and was able to clear all keys. I know it should not be able to do that, but I know I can go 140 now :) and all keys are cleared. so suit yourself.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #69
Focus Addict

Fan#: 118189
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3, 2015 SE Hatch

Points 4,804, Level 44
Points: 4,804, Level: 44 Points: 4,804, Level: 44 Points: 4,804, Level: 44
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 3 BradKPed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Is it an aftermarket auto-start FOB?
Old 02-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #70
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
130 'limit' you may have experienced is NOT a 'MyKey' function.

That system will NOT set a control at that high a level, so something else was going on.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in