Clearing MyKey without Admin Key - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #51
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

Points 1,995, Level 26
Points: 1,995, Level: 26 Points: 1,995, Level: 26 Points: 1,995, Level: 26
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 6 novus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronG View Post
OHP Ford ELMconfig USB device 500kbit/s ELM327 compatible interface with MS-CAN switch for Forscan FoCCCus Mazda OBD2 diagnostics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F0GVBWY..._pc8SybQRCPB35
I guess that'll work. I just used a cheapo $12 Bluetooth ELM327 that I bought back in 2013. I guess there is more safety behind a wired vs BT.
Hatch Nation #118
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017, 12:14 AM   #52
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 341434
What I Drive: 2016 Red Titanium

Points 2,579, Level 30
Points: 2,579, Level: 30 Points: 2,579, Level: 30 Points: 2,579, Level: 30
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 AaronG Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by novus View Post
I guess that'll work. I just used a cheapo $12 Bluetooth ELM327 that I bought back in 2013. I guess there is more safety behind a wired vs BT.
I wanted to use the system known to work properly. Many OBDII components apparently have the wrong hardware to access functions.

edited:

Finally got the software to work, and the hardware I bought did have about 3 failed attempts out of 4, but eventually it worked successfully and it didn't damage my BCM since the write to BCM is the final step in programming. Any failure aborts the write.

I'm so happy I could dance. The issues I had with FoCCCus not working were because I wasn't using the most updated version. It took some digging but I Was able to find FoCCCus 0.8.6 and with that and the OBDII I purchased I was able to access the system and learn how to TURN OFF MYKEY! I left it off. I don't want to accidentally turn it on again or my wife accidentally turn it on.

So happy right now. No more training wheels!

Since my car is a Titanium there really isn't much else I would ever mess with or try to turn on. I might turn off the seatbelt warning chime if I ever get annoyed by it. Otherwise my car is fairly well decked out.

The one other thing I want to do with this car is figure out how to add more key transponders to the vehicle, and delete the one that some random person has. I think I can do it with FORscan when I get a licensed code to unlock the features.

Working on tuning my engine/transmission now. That's going to take a while.

Last edited by AaronG; 02-28-2017 at 03:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:20 AM   #53
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 341434
What I Drive: 2016 Red Titanium

Points 2,579, Level 30
Points: 2,579, Level: 30 Points: 2,579, Level: 30 Points: 2,579, Level: 30
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 AaronG Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
If you're talking the keyless access style, and with a Titanium you prob. are, the fancy fob programming is in another category.

Sounds like you just learned that.
Thanks, If you check my most recent post it explains a few things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #54
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 349906
What I Drive: 2016 Race Red Focus ST

Points 7, Level 1
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 tonyc775 Good Standing Member
Hello everyone, I wanted to post because I am so happy i finally DISABLED MYKEY! (WITH ONLY ONE KEY!!!)

I have to say, I would have never tried this or thought of this, if it wasn't for this Thread, and @novus in particular.
So thanks guys.

Okay, so i just bought a pre-owned 2016 Focus ST from a local Ford Dealership and it only came with one key. After a week of owning, I accidentally enabled the MyKey feature, not knowing what it actually was lol. (Big mistake)

So I searched everywhere for a way to disable this feature, preferably without having to buy a new key from the dealer.

Using the free Windows Application FoCCCus
**Message me for link**

And a USB corded OBD-II Scan Tool from amazon for $32

**Message me for link** or search Amazon for: ScanTool 425801 OBDLink SX USB: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Windows

1. So first things first, you need to install that application to your laptop.

2. If you purchased the same OBD Scan tool as i did, you will need to install it's drivers on to your computer. They can be found on the website listed on the instructions sheet it comes with ( You will ONLY need the drivers. Not the application the Scan tool is made for.)

3. Once you have the that done, your computer should be able to communicate with the OBD-II cord. Now you will go to your Focus, get in and close the door. DO NOT start car, just tap the ON button without pushing in the clutch or brake (Accessory Mode). Plug in your OBD-II to the car under the driver side dash and usb in to the computer. Load up the FoCCCus App.

Click the "Open" button

Now Click "Read from BCM"
There will be a progress bar on the bottom of the screen and the the FoCCCus app will read your car's ECU to get all the correct values.

4. Once done, I advise waiting about 30 seconds before unplugging the OBD-II from the car. Then turn off the car. Open and close the door to ensure it is off.

(Your car will start throwing you a number of random error codes on the screen, and give check engine light and every other kind of light. This is just part of the process and will need to be cleared later.)

5. Now you are ready for the last part. With all the value you uploaded into the FoCCCus app, scroll down to #239 MyKey. When i did it, the value was set to "2". You should click and change the value to "0".
Once you change it to "0" you can plug it back in to the car and follow the previous procedure (Put car in accessory mode). Then click "Write to BCM"
This will make you car have 0 MyKeys.
After, you will have repeat the process but this time changing the value of #239 to a "1" and rewrite it to the BCM, which will turn off The MyKey feature!
(WITH ONLY 1 KEY!!!)

To clear the error codes and check engine light afterwards, you can either use a Cobb access port, a SCT tuner, Forscan application, or have Autozone/Advanced Auto Parts do it for free.

Hope this helped!
I wanted to post this to back @novus 's claim. It really works! Even tho my dealer told me "it can't be done".

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Old 04-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #55
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 318241
What I Drive: 2016 Focus SE 5-speed

Points 173, Level 3
Points: 173, Level: 3 Points: 173, Level: 3 Points: 173, Level: 3
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 1 Pioneer16 Good Standing Member
Why didn't you demand a second key when you bought the car?
tonyc775 likes this.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #56
Focus Rookie

Points 7, Level 1
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer16 View Post
Why didn't you demand a second key when you bought the car?

I asked, and they told me the original owner only gave them the one key, and if they came across another Focus key they would call me and reprogram it to my car.
But you're right, i should have demanded. Lol oh well.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #57
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53615
What I Drive: 04 focus zx3, premium, liquid grey

Points 2,109, Level 27
Points: 2,109, Level: 27 Points: 2,109, Level: 27 Points: 2,109, Level: 27
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 14 a car nut Great Standing Member
Now, that you've managed to clear it, do your self a favour and cut two extra keys. Good locksmiths can "clone your key" with the proper key coding machine so all the keys are indentified as the same key by the ecm/bcm etc... Just think what would happen if the lost the single key that you have....
Old 04-20-2017, 03:48 AM   #58
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

Points 1,995, Level 26
Points: 1,995, Level: 26 Points: 1,995, Level: 26 Points: 1,995, Level: 26
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 6 novus Good Standing Member
Thanks for the write up. That's what I did for mine many moons ago to get rid of it. It's simple once you get the software etc. in hand.
tonyc775 likes this.
Hatch Nation #118
Old 07-13-2017, 07:03 AM   #59
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 362570
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE 5 Door

Points 17, Level 1
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 volliefd Good Standing Member
Tried Focccus on 2013 SE, didn't work

Ok so I read this thread and was hoping this would work. But I tried it yesterday and it didn't. Here are the steps i did, please take a look and see if I did something wrong.

Background: 2013 Focus SE Hatch, bought for my daughter for college, only came with one key and it was a mykey. I purchased the elm hs/ms-can device from Amazon and downloaded Forscan and Focccus. Tried Forscan first on car to make sure things communicated and everything was fine.

Steps I did:

1, Pluged ELM device into obd port, turned key to on and loaded focccus. Device left in HS-CAN position.
2, Had focccus read BCM, saved baseline to file.
3, Changed mykey input from 2 to 0. Wrote to BCM.
4, Turned car off, waiting a min, disconnected elm and turned key back to on.
5, Turned car on, said "Normal mode" on screen but still recognized mykey key and still had limitations.
6, Checked settings and it still showed 1 mykey, 1 admin key. So based on setting it to 0, the BCM didn't remove the feature.
7, Plugged ELM back in and loaded Focccus, read BCM, confirmed it was set 0.
8, Set mykey flag to 1, wrote to BCM. Repeated step 4.
9, Same as step 5. No change.
10, Did step 7 again, loaded baseline bcm program and put back loaded back to BCM.

So does anyone see anything I did wrong? I was using this a trial run because I wanted to see if Focccus worked on her car because I want to do the fog lamp install because I have the fuse 75 with a 15 amp in it.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #60
Focus Rookie

Points 7, Level 1
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Quote:
Originally Posted by volliefd View Post
Ok so I read this thread and was hoping this would work. But I tried it yesterday and it didn't. Here are the steps i did, please take a look and see if I did something wrong.

Background: 2013 Focus SE Hatch, bought for my daughter for college, only came with one key and it was a mykey. I purchased the elm hs/ms-can device from Amazon and downloaded Forscan and Focccus. Tried Forscan first on car to make sure things communicated and everything was fine.

Steps I did:

1, Pluged ELM device into obd port, turned key to on and loaded focccus. Device left in HS-CAN position.

2, Had focccus read BCM, saved baseline to file.

3, Changed mykey input from 2 to 0. Wrote to BCM.

4, Turned car off, waiting a min, disconnected elm and turned key back to on.

5, Turned car on, said "Normal mode" on screen but still recognized mykey key and still had limitations.

6, Checked settings and it still showed 1 mykey, 1 admin key. So based on setting it to 0, the BCM didn't remove the feature.

7, Plugged ELM back in and loaded Focccus, read BCM, confirmed it was set 0.

8, Set mykey flag to 1, wrote to BCM. Repeated step 4.

9, Same as step 5. No change.

10, Did step 7 again, loaded baseline bcm program and put back loaded back to BCM.

So does anyone see anything I did wrong? I was using this a trial run because I wanted to see if Focccus worked on her car because I want to do the fog lamp install because I have the fuse 75 with a 15 amp in it.

Looks to me like you followed the instructions perfect, I'm not expert on any of this, i just happened to get it to work and shared what i did.
Also my car is a 2015 Focus ST with keyless entry. Idk if that has anything to do with it, but i would try setting it to "2", then back to "0". And then to "1". A final time. Make sure you you are in accessory mode and wait in between reads and writes to the car. Good luck.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in