Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK3 Focus (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/)
-   -   Got this "Transmission overheating stop safely" notice. (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/697490-got-transmission-overheating-stop-safely-notice.html)

jehfmaticla 09-19-2016 11:00 PM

Got this "Transmission overheating stop safely" notice.

First time poster, but I need some help...

So today I was driving to the Dodger game, in bumper to bumper traffic, going slightly uphill, when I got a notification that read "Transmission overheating" and it said to stop safely for 8 minutes. There was no place for me to safely stop.

Now, I know the DCT is faulty, and, in fact, my car often shudders and makes grinding noises, but this is something I've never experienced so far. I am extremely worried.

I drive a 2014 Ford Focus SE with about 33k miles.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

sailor 09-19-2016 11:36 PM

Moved to MkIII Focus section, because the driving tips stickie is at the top of this page.

LOTS more trans. info. in the MkIII problems section.

Bottom line, it can't take constant creeping. Clutch isn't engaged until the 5-7 MPH zone, so you need enough space to get moving that fast before moving in stop & go traffic. 5MPH is a good walking speed, we're not talking very fast here.

The more creeping the more likelihood of shudder on clutch engagement.

Overheat warning for the trans. is based on recent use pattern, it doesn't have an actual temperature sensor.

wavsine 09-19-2016 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jehfmaticla (Post 10147002)

So today I was driving to the Dodger game, in bumper to bumper traffic, going slightly uphill,

There's your answer. Creeping along in bumper to bumper traffic while going slightly uphill. This is not a planetary automatic. The clutches were slipping as they were constantly engaged/disengaged. Friction= heat.

Edit: I see sailor already answered. Do you drive in stop and go traffic often/daily?

sailor 09-19-2016 11:58 PM

You folks can hand out the best advice from experience, I just moved it here and gave it a start since it's not an item you can pull a DIY fix on (General Tech Chat for the original location).

jehfmaticla 09-20-2016 12:42 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I've never owned a Ford before, and I won this car, so it's not by choice.

I knew immediatey from my first week with the car, the transmission seemed off, but Ford and everyone kept saying "it's normal", though I tend to believe otherwise.

So the fact that this happened is the last straw. But I don't know what to do. Lol!

My warranty is up in November, and I will have no peace of mind driving this vehicle after that point. Although, I heard they extended the warranty for the transmission, is this true?

sailor 09-20-2016 01:18 AM

THREE main warranties to start with, all with different years/mileage that apply.

3/36 bumper to bumper, 5/60 power train, 7/70 Emissions if I remember the numbers right.

Then there's the 14M02 extension for the TCM, that's good 'till 10/150k.

You need to check on the 14M01 extension for clutches/seals programming, it's stickied in the MkIII Problems section mentioned earlier along with the 14M02 details. Production date of yours determines if the 14M01 includes you car, check the dates.

jehfmaticla 09-20-2016 02:33 PM

What a shame, since my car was built on "19.10.2013", I guess my transmission warranty is not covered. Even though it shares the same symptoms.

Wow!

Never will I drive another Ford again.

wavsine 09-20-2016 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jehfmaticla (Post 10148305)
What a shame, since my car was built on "19.10.2013", I guess my transmission warranty is not covered.

You stated: "I drive a 2014 Ford Focus SE with about 33k miles"

Your car is still covered by the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

As for your current transmission message, you may not have a mechanical problem. That warning is a caution to give it a rest as creeping uphill is possibly overheating it.

jehfmaticla 09-20-2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavsine (Post 10148345)
You stated: "I drive a 2014 Ford Focus SE with about 33k miles"

Your car is still covered by the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Is it possible to extend the powertrain warranty out of pocket? As long as I do it before 5/60,000 ?

zehkaiser 09-20-2016 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jehfmaticla (Post 10148361)
Is it possible to extend the powertrain warranty out of pocket? As long as I do it before 5/60,000 ?

I'm sure a dealership will gladly sell you an extended warranty, but I wouldn't worry so much about it. Drive the car like a manual. That's what it is, after all. Driving it like a regular old automatic (creeping in traffic without your foot on the gas) is hard on this transmission, so don't do it. Deliberate acceleration and deceleration are best.