Got this "Transmission overheating stop safely" notice. - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree5Likes
Reply




 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2016, 09:48 PM   #21
Focus Rookie
 
tracycali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104344
Location: Tracy, CA
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Posts: 22
Points 16, Level 1
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 2 tracycali Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Drive it like a manual

As one of the other replies said, drive it like a manual. I have 110,000 miles on my '13 Titanium hatch. I love everything about this vehicle EXCEPT the PS 6-speed. I bought the extended powertrain warranty from the dealer when i bought the car new, and it's paid for itself many times over. First time in was for clutch pack failure and TCM replacement. 2nd time in was for shift motor failure. 3rd time in was leaking seals and another clutch failure. Never really left me on the side of the road as I was able to limp it into the dealer each time and the dealer arranged for covered rental each time. Apparently there have been some engineering improvements on some of the components and the dealer used these for my repairs. No problems in the last 30k mi. I attribute the newfound longevity to the improved components and the changes I've made to my driving habits. When in stop-and-go traffic put it in neutral. Shift into drive when you can maintain a steady speed of at least 5-7mph then when you stop put it back into neutral, rinse and repeat. Don't drop the hammer off the line. Ease into it, These trannys CAN NOT be driven like e fluid-coupled unit.
ELCouz likes this.
__________________
2013 Focus Hatchback in Platinum tri-coat.
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert
2012 F150 Lariat 4X4
tracycali is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-22-2016, 12:33 AM   #22
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Fan#: 264793
Location: Rolla, MO
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL Hatchback

Posts: 30
Points 169, Level 3
Points: 169, Level: 3 Points: 169, Level: 3 Points: 169, Level: 3
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 xrolo98 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you got a pretty good shudder, take it in. My recent clutch job was covered under the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. Since you got a 14 with 33,000 miles, you should be golden. Sounds like you might still be under your bumper to bumper warranty too. If so, have them fix anything that might be messed up while it's free. For example, my grill shudders basically fell apart and my dome light was being stupid due to a BCM issue. Expensive repairs that cost me $100 (I've got a Ford Extended Service Plan) but would have been free under a bumper to bumper.
xrolo98 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2018, 07:50 AM   #23
Focus Rookie
 
tracycali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104344
Location: Tracy, CA
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Posts: 22
Points 16, Level 1
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 2 tracycali Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycali View Post
As one of the other replies said, drive it like a manual. I have 110,000 miles on my '13 Titanium hatch. I love everything about this vehicle EXCEPT the PS 6-speed. I bought the extended powertrain warranty from the dealer when i bought the car new, and it's paid for itself many times over. First time in was for clutch pack failure and TCM replacement. 2nd time in was for shift motor failure. 3rd time in was leaking seals and another clutch failure. Never really left me on the side of the road as I was able to limp it into the dealer each time and the dealer arranged for covered rental each time. Apparently there have been some engineering improvements on some of the components and the dealer used these for my repairs. No problems in the last 30k mi. I attribute the newfound longevity to the improved components and the changes I've made to my driving habits. When in stop-and-go traffic put it in neutral. Shift into drive when you can maintain a steady speed of at least 5-7mph then when you stop put it back into neutral, rinse and repeat. Don't drop the hammer off the line. Ease into it, These trannys CAN NOT be driven like e fluid-coupled unit.


Well, almost 2 years since this post and all is still well. Got 143,000 miles on the clock and still going strong. Got CEL last week with P0456 DTC. Cleared it once and it came back three days later. Ordered new purge valve. Hoping that will do the trick.


Sent from my iPad using FF Mobile
__________________
2013 Focus Hatchback in Platinum tri-coat.
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert
2012 F150 Lariat 4X4
tracycali is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-09-2018, 11:15 PM   #24
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Fan#: 66785
Location: Alexandria, VA
What I Drive: '14 Performance Blue Titanium Sedan

Posts: 61
Points 97, Level 1
Points: 97, Level: 1 Points: 97, Level: 1 Points: 97, Level: 1
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 dnorf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Good to hear you still have it! It's a pretty great car, aside from a couple of known issues. Thankfully the community is always there to help out when you have something "weird" going on. You get it sorted out, and return to business as usual, right?
dnorf is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #25
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Fan#: 341658
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
What I Drive: 2014 Silver Ford Focus Titanium Hot

Posts: 89
Points 264, Level 5
Points: 264, Level: 5 Points: 264, Level: 5 Points: 264, Level: 5
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 btbam91 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This thread is kinda surreal. I had the exact same problem as the OP... driving my Ď14 up to Dodger stadium and receiving the same warning. Since then Iíve learned to drive the car more like a manual and never feather the brake.


Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
btbam91 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2019, 12:02 AM   #26
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Fan#: 403219
Posts: 11
Points 82, Level 1
Points: 82, Level: 1 Points: 82, Level: 1 Points: 82, Level: 1
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 Kyn1972 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I hate bumping an older thread however I need some help please with my 2012 Ford Focus.
Went out tonight and stopped at McDonalds for about 30 minutes then got back on the interstate and suddenly felt a lurch like in the car and then the transmission overheating warning came on.
Pulled over and let it rest for a few minutes and turned it on and tried to go and the engine will rev but it acts like it is transferring very little power so was only able to creep under 20 mph and thus triggers the overheat msg again.
So, transmission bad or is it more likely the TCM decided to die again? Car has over 230k miles so its seen alot of action.
My brother checked the computer and the codes he pulled were

Shift Error
P07A4 - Transmission Code

Transmission Friction Element "B" Apply
P2701 - Transmission Code

(PATS) Key
B10D7
Kyn1972 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2019, 12:23 AM   #27
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Fan#: 409817
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Hatch

Posts: 178
Points 171, Level 3
Points: 171, Level: 3 Points: 171, Level: 3 Points: 171, Level: 3
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 1 Smalls89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That pats code is more than likely negligible dive it's been noted that many people get it for literally no reason, including myself
Smalls89 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2019, 12:40 AM   #28
Focus Enthusiast
 
bayuap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Fan#: 127986
Location: Bogor, Indonesia
What I Drive: 2013 black Focus 2.0 Hatchback

Posts: 173
Points 324, Level 6
Points: 324, Level: 6 Points: 324, Level: 6 Points: 324, Level: 6
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 4 bayuap Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyn1972 View Post
I hate bumping an older thread however I need some help please with my 2012 Ford Focus.
Went out tonight and stopped at McDonalds for about 30 minutes then got back on the interstate and suddenly felt a lurch like in the car and then the transmission overheating warning came on.
Pulled over and let it rest for a few minutes and turned it on and tried to go and the engine will rev but it acts like it is transferring very little power so was only able to creep under 20 mph and thus triggers the overheat msg again.
So, transmission bad or is it more likely the TCM decided to die again? Car has over 230k miles so its seen alot of action.
My brother checked the computer and the codes he pulled were

Shift Error
P07A4 - Transmission Code

Transmission Friction Element "B" Apply
P2701 - Transmission Code

(PATS) Key
B10D7
Probably need to change clutch pack ....



Sent from my SM-G960F using FF Mobile
bayuap is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2019, 03:37 AM   #29
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Fan#: 403219
Posts: 11
Points 82, Level 1
Points: 82, Level: 1 Points: 82, Level: 1 Points: 82, Level: 1
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 Kyn1972 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayuap View Post
Probably need to change clutch pack ....



Sent from my SM-G960F using FF Mobile
Thank you.
Any idea of a ballpark figure for replacement and how long the shop will need to do the job?
Kyn1972 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2019, 04:23 AM   #30
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Fan#: 409817
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Hatch

Posts: 178
Points 171, Level 3
Points: 171, Level: 3 Points: 171, Level: 3 Points: 171, Level: 3
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 1 Smalls89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ballpark, $500-$2000 and a couple hours, need to check with the shop beforehand if they can or are familiar with how to repair, speciality tools are needed to get the old one out and to get the new one in, then software magic needs to be done
Smalls89 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.


Copyright 2002-2015 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Mazda CX-3, Audi S3, Mazda MX-5 Miata and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus, Focus ST and Focus RS related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. If you own other makes have a look at Challenger Hellcat Forum, Charger Hellcat Forum, Cadillac ATS-V Forum, Cadillac CTS-V Forum, Lexus RC-F Forum, Lexus GS-F Forum, Mercedes GLA Forum, Mercedes GLE Forum and Volvo XC90 Forum.




 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1