Unpleasant strange rattle on 2014 1.0L ecoboost - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 315177
What I Drive: 2014 Focus wagon ecoboost 1.0 titan

Points 200, Level 3
Points: 200, Level: 3 Points: 200, Level: 3 Points: 200, Level: 3
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 jweetje Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unpleasant strange rattle on 2014 1.0L ecoboost

Hi all,
First of all, my apologies if the text below becomes too long, I do my best to keep it short. Maybe you need some to get through it. Thanks in advance!

I have a strange problem with my focus wagon 1.0liter ecoboost from 2014. I own the care for about 6 weeks now and after a few weeks the car started to rattle in a strange way when it was cold. Later the rattle was there also when the engine was hot (after 100km riving) but less obvious. I went back to the official dealer where I bought the car and they said it was the fuel pump and that all the ecoboost 1.0 liter enginse do this, one more than another. They even let me hear another engine from a ford B-max with the same engine as I have. The sound was not really there and more like a tapping sound. I tried to convince the mechanic but he kept saying: no worries, the all do this. The sound does not feel right at all to me in fact I quite worried!
What I did so far:
-I browsed quite some hours online to find similar problems but I did not find any. I only find people with a problem described as a tapping sound and this is related to the high pressure fuel pump. When remove the rubber engine cover I hear this as well. The tapping sound is always there and changes with the revs of the engine. This is clearly not the sound I hear.

-I found some other remarks about the heatshields. The sound seems to be coming from the front of the car so this seems unlikely to me.

-I passed by a few other dealerships asking for a second opinion and if they have heard this rattle before. The answers I got were quite different :
-fuel pump (2x)
-heat shield (1x)
-the adjustable blades of the turbo (2x)

Especially the last one surprised me a lot. Both of the guys I spoke to were quite convinced the 1.0liter ecoboost petrol engine with 125bhp has a variable geometry turbo and that the little adjustable blades were causing the rattle. Being not an expert on cars but an electronics engineer I do understand engineering a bit ;-). I thought those variable geometry turbo’s are only used on diesel engines. I searched online for some info about the type of turbo’s used on the 1.0liter ecoboost and did not find a clear answer.

I think that the turbo on the 1.0L ecoboost has a standard wastegate controlled by the ECO/BCM to restrict the turbo pressure. Based on the turbo model (from the ford ECAT program) and the code on the cold side of the turbo housing I found pictures of this turbo showing the exhaust outlet side. See LINK and LINK. To my view I clearly see a wastegate in these pictures.

During the search I came across other issues with turbo’s and wastegates but the strange thing is: the sound is very similar to my rattle. Therefore, and because of the fact that the sound seems to be coming from the wastegate/turbo area I’m suspecting the wastegate. Well, if I have one.

I can reproduce the rattle quite easily. I rev the engine up to approx. 2500 rpm and release the throttle instantly. When the revs drop you can hear the sound between 1500 and 2000 rpm.
I have 2 youtube video’s of the rattle. The first one is taking by holding my phone outside the driver’s door as far as possible under the car while I'm still in it. You can hear the sound at 19 seconds for example.
MOVIE 1

The second one is from under the bonnet. At 5seconds you can hear the tapping sounds. At 10, 21, 25 and 41 seconds you can hear the rattle.
MOVIE 2

I can read the DTC code myself using Forscan and the care does not have any errors.

OK, now my questions: Thanks for eading all of the above

-Does any of the experts here have an idea what is causing the rattle?
-Does a 1.0l ecoboost 125bhp have a variable geometry turbo or a turbo with a wastegate.
-When the engine is idle, what is the position of the wastegate? Open or closed?
-What is done when the rod is pushed to the right in the movie? Wastegate open or closed?
-Does anyone of you have more detailed information on the turbo that is being used on this engine?

Many, many thanks in advance for staying awake while reading the post. :-)

Best regards from a happy but also worried focus driver.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #2
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
There are posts on 1.5 Ecoboost noises, haven't see 1.0 yet & search isn't helping:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/m...ost+sounds+1+0

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 08-07-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 200, Level 3
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
I did read that topic with great interest but the outcome is not entirely what I'm looking for: buying another new car .

I do realize that there are maybe not many 1.0L ecoboost owners on this forum since most of the members are from the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 272049
What I Drive: 2016 Ford Focus 1.5 Ecoboost A6

Points 515, Level 10
Points: 515, Level: 10 Points: 515, Level: 10 Points: 515, Level: 10
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 1 Raaert Good Standing Member
I own both a 1.0 EcoBoost Fiesta and a 1.5 EcoBoost Focus.

I have not heard any rattling or noises that should not be there.

Only driven 10k km in each tough.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Old 08-07-2016, 05:59 PM   #5
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
We've had the 1.0 E in the Focus here for a couple years now, but not as long as you have over there. None of the 1.5 E's here.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 08-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Points 200, Level 3
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Thanks for the answers. I do realize that judging based on a movie is difficult.
Does anyone here know an answer or a place where find an answer to the following, this would help me quite a lot:
-Does a 1.0l ecoboost 125bhp have a variable geometry turbo or a turbo with a wastegate.
-When the engine is idle, what is the position of the wastegate? Open or closed?
Thanks for your help!
Old 08-12-2016, 05:33 AM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 244945
What I Drive: 2014 focus 1.0 ecoboost

Points 6, Level 1
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 nightshot Good Standing Member
I have the exact same noise on mine, it was rectified on my last service but lasted only a 1000 miles or so before it started again. I didnt get to ask what the problem was as the car was picked up and dropped off, but its in for another service next week and for the same problem to be looked at again so ill get them to tell me how they fixed it, hopefully a more permanent fix this time.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:32 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2012 Mondeo 2.0l 145hp Titanium

Points 240,062, Level 100
Points: 240,062, Level: 100 Points: 240,062, Level: 100 Points: 240,062, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 25 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
I don't have all your answers but this article explains a little, and mentions it has a wastegate.
Ford?s new 1.0-L EcoBoost I3 is big on low-friction technology - SAE International

One of these is the low-inertia Continental turbocharger designed and developed specifically for the 1.0-L EcoBoost. It can spin up to 248,000 rpm and has a 38-mm (1.49-in) diameter turbine.

“It is almost fantastically small for the output it gives,” noted Zenner. “It has a vacuum- operated wastegate, which gives us complete flexibility in how and when to operate it—for example, to completely open it at part load to reduce pumping losses. That provides a couple of percentage points in fuel consumption bonus.”

To prevent pressure from rising too steeply at high engine output, a wastegate valve conducts the exhaust gases past the turbine, explained Udo Schwerdel, head of Continental's turbocharger product line. On the compressor side, a compressor bypass valve prevents air, which has already been compressed, from forcing its way back into the compressor housing when the throttle closes, safeguarding against compressor surge and possible damage.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:05 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 410325
Points 1, Level 1
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 1 JoeP7 Good Standing Member
Did you ever figure out what was causing the noise?

I have recently bought a 2014 focus 1.0 ecoboost and after 2 weeks of driving this exact noise is after developing.

Any help appreciated.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #10
Focus Rookie

Points 200, Level 3
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Sorry for the slow reply. yes, I got it solved. Just before the warranty ended I managed to convince the dealer where I bought the car that this was not a normal noise and they finally replaced the complete turbo. When I picked the car up I managed to have a very quick look at the old turbo and indeed the wastegate could be moved by hand, causing the rattle. Later I read some info saying that this happens more and will not cause any problems. I hope you can get yours solved.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in