Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK3 Focus (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/)
-   -   Bell housing oil leak that Ford Service can't seem to fix. (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/585049-bell-housing-oil-leak-ford-service-cant-seem-fix.html)

wdavidson 07-08-2015 11:05 AM

Bell housing oil leak that Ford Service can't seem to fix.

I've had my 2013 Focus in for warranty service FOUR times now for oil dripping from underneath the bell housing and noticed that it is still leaking. Now I will be making a fifth appointment to attempt to have it fixed. They have had dye in the oil for each appointment to trace the leak so I can't understand why they can't trace where it is coming from and fix it.

From what I have been able to make out from the paperwork and what they have told me, this is the steps they have taken to fix it:

1st appt:
replaced fuel pump tank seal
replaced camshaft position sensors and seals
replaced fuel pump housing and seals

2nd appt:
replaced engine crankshaft seal
replaced crankshaft rear main seal

3rd appt:

4th appt:
pulled the oil pan and transmission from the car
reinstalled both with silicone sealant on oil pan

On the second and third appointments they replaced the exact same parts. I love my Focus but this is becoming a major inconvenience.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

**UPDATES**

5th appt:
Replaced the rear main seal again (for the third time).

6th appt:
Replaced the flex plate to crackshaft bolts and torqued them to specification

7th appt:
The shop foreman at the dealership said there was no evidence of an oil leak anywhere, and that the oil dripping from the bottom of the bell housing must be residual oil from the last time it was serviced because perhaps the mechanic didn't clean it up properly after my last service appt. So they cleaned everything thoroughly and said I should not be seeing anymore signs of a leak. But...

2 weeks later - STILL LEAKS!

8th appt (different dealership):
Took the car to a different Ford Dealership for service this time. The new dealership replaced yet another rear main seal for the leak. Also appears to have replaced the two transmission seals as well. I have checked it for leaks and haven't found any signs of further leaking. I will be keeping an eye on it though.

ELCouz 07-08-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdavidson (Post 8701513)
I've had my 2013 Focus in for warranty service FOUR times now for oil dripping from underneath the bell housing and noticed that it is still leaking. Now I will be making a fifth appointment to attempt to have it fixed. They have had dye in the oil for each appointment to trace the leak so I can't understand why they can't trace where it is coming from and fix it.

From what I have been able to make out from the paperwork and what they have told me, this is the steps they have taken to fix it:

1st appt:
replaced camshaft position sensors and seals
replaced fuel pump housing and seals

2nd appt:

3rd appt:

4th appt:
pulled the oil pan and transmission from the car
reinstalled both with silicone sealant on oil pan

On the second and third appointments they replaced the exact same parts. I love my Focus but this is becoming a major inconvenience.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

I don't understand why they touched the fuel pump area for a leaking engine/tranny?

Do you have the 5 Speed or DCT?

If it's the DCT you have... I know DCT seals are prone to leakage... (which they didn't touched yet? why??)

puffingonj 07-08-2015 11:30 AM

Fuel pump leaks oil from the o-ring and drips down the bell housing so it is possible to leak oil. Usually the rear main seal is responsible. Good luck.

wdavidson 07-08-2015 11:48 AM

I should have noted that I have the DCT transmission, which I have actually I had in for service as well with the "shudder" that a lot of other people have experienced. They ended up reprogramming the computer but I still have some slight shuddering from time to time.

ELCouz 07-08-2015 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puffingonj (Post 8701577)
Fuel pump leaks oil from the o-ring and drips down the bell housing so it is possible to leak oil. Usually the rear main seal is responsible. Good luck.

Ok I see ... you're talking about the high pressure fuel pump?

I was thinking to the one in the gas tank [:)]

because of that particular line...

Quote:

1st appt:

dan50 07-08-2015 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdavidson (Post 8701657)
I should have noted that I have the DCT transmission, which I have actually I had in for service as well with the "shudder" that a lot of other people have experienced. They ended up reprogramming the computer but I still have some slight shuddering from time to time.

Given the repair attempts so far, it just may be your dealer doesn't know what they are doing, so I'll take a shot: this is a classic symptom of leaking seals between the transmission and clutch. Fluid leaks from the transmission along the input shaft and gets into the bell housing, which is intended to stay dry and which is where the clutch lives. The gasket between the clutch and transmission is not designed to hold fluid, so it leaks.

So, you may need a new clutch and new seals. The good news is these are covered by an extended warranty and should solve both your leak and clutch chatter problems. You may want to give a different dealer a try.

Arco-Zakus 07-08-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan50 (Post 8703473)
... this is a classic symptom of leaking seals between the transmission and clutch. ...

Which would also explain why the dye they put in the engine oil was not helping them to find the source of the leak.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdavidson (Post 8701513)
... They have had dye in the oil for each appointment to trace the leak so I can't understand why they can't trace where it is coming from and fix it. ...

sailor 07-08-2015 07:51 PM

I'm surprised at the number of attempts, though finding a small leak when the oil spreads after leaking can be tough - a larger one is easier to trace.

There was ONE thread I remember on a new car that turned out to be a porous block casting at the timing end, needing complete replacement. They're all treated with a sealant under pressure to avoid this, but in the odd case it still can happen.

bytianzuo 07-08-2015 09:20 PM

They ended up reprogramming the computer but I still have some slight shuddering from time to time.http://goo.gl/646Xm0

wdavidson 07-09-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puffingonj (Post 8701577)

It doesn't appear to me that the oil is dripping down the outside of the bell housing at all. The oil seems to be coming from inside the bell housing and dripping down through the bottom of the bell housing where the parts of the bell housing are joined together. The only evidence of oil that I have seen is at the very bottom of the bell housing at the seam.