Bell housing oil leak that Ford Service can't seem to fix. - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2015, 03:10 PM   #31
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104161
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

Points 266, Level 5
Points: 266, Level: 5 Points: 266, Level: 5 Points: 266, Level: 5
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 0 mp223 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You need to get your transmission seals replaced. They are faulty from the factory. I had a drip from my bell housing and it was transmissions seals. Seems like they've changed every other possible seal (I had my cam cover seals replaced and they still leak when I get into the 5k+ RPM).

Also, go to a different dealer. Keep bugging all of them too, and don't feel bad about it. They are just trying to stall and get away with doing as little as possible so once you hit 36k, suddenly the problem is found and it costs $1k+ out of pocket.

Dealership did the same thing with my Focus. Brought it in 4x under warranty for loss of coolant. They could never find anything. I get to 38k and the water pump takes a dump. Dealership was quick to let me know I'd have to pay out of pocket it if wasn't covered by the drivetrain warranty.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #32
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 10,771, Level 68
Points: 10,771, Level: 68 Points: 10,771, Level: 68 Points: 10,771, Level: 68
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 19 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavidson View Post
Well, I got my car back from my 7th service appointment a couple weeks ago, and the car is still leaking. When I picked the car up the shop foreman at Beechmont Ford said there was no evidence of an oil leak anywhere, and that the oil dripping from the bottom of the bell housing must be residual oil from the last time it was serviced because perhaps the mechanic didn't clean it up properly after my last service appt. So they cleaned everything thoroughly and said I should not be seeing anymore signs of a leak. But...

2 weeks later - STILL LEAKS! Oil is still dripping down from the bottom of the bell housing.

I suppose I'll look into having it serviced somewhere else. There isn't really any other convenient dealerships near me, but at this point I have zero confidence in Beechmont Ford being able to fix this.
Have you been to another dealer for a second opinion? Please let me know, along with your mileage, and I'll check out some options.

Meagan

p: 800.392.FORD
t:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

f:

M - F 11:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 09-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #33
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 251313
What I Drive: 2013 Black SE

Points 168, Level 3
Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 1 wdavidson Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp223 View Post
You need to get your transmission seals replaced. They are faulty from the factory. I had a drip from my bell housing and it was transmissions seals. Seems like they've changed every other possible seal (I had my cam cover seals replaced and they still leak when I get into the 5k+ RPM).

Also, go to a different dealer. Keep bugging all of them too, and don't feel bad about it. They are just trying to stall and get away with doing as little as possible so once you hit 36k, suddenly the problem is found and it costs $1k+ out of pocket.

Dealership did the same thing with my Focus. Brought it in 4x under warranty for loss of coolant. They could never find anything. I get to 38k and the water pump takes a dump. Dealership was quick to let me know I'd have to pay out of pocket it if wasn't covered by the drivetrain warranty.
I have heard of the transmission seal problem but have read conflicting things about it. Some posts on it say this problem causes transmission fluid to leak, while others say it causes oil to leak. Would these seals cause an oil leak or do they cause a transmission fluid leak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #34
Focus Rookie

Points 168, Level 3
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Have you been to another dealer for a second opinion? Please let me know, along with your mileage, and I'll check out some options.

Meagan
I have not gotten an opinion from a second dealer yet but at this point I guess that is really the only option to try to move forward. My car now has approx. 42,500 miles, but I had 32,700 at the time of my first appointment for the leak back in December 2014. I had a previous case open on this, but I think it may have been closed. I've tried, but I haven't been able to get in contact with my previous CSM.

Last edited by wdavidson; 10-01-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #35
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 10,771, Level 68
Points: 10,771, Level: 68 Points: 10,771, Level: 68 Points: 10,771, Level: 68
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 19 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
I have not gotten an opinion from a second dealer yet but at this point I guess that is really the only option to try to move forward. My car now has approx. 42,500 miles, but I had 32,700 at the time of my first appointment for the leak back in December 2014. I had a previous case open on this. The case number was [REDACTED] , but I think it may have been closed. I've tried, but I haven't been able to get in contact with my previous CSM.
I recommend deleting the case number for your privacy. That case is still open, and I've sent it back up to your CSM for review.

Meagan

p: 800.392.FORD
t:

f:

M - F 11:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #36
Focus Rookie

Points 168, Level 3
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Had the car in for an 8th appt (different dealership). The new dealership replaced yet another rear main seal for the leak. Also appears to have replaced the two transmission seals as well. I have checked it for leaks and haven't found any signs of further leaking. I will be keeping an eye on it though.
Arco-Zakus likes this.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #37
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 275017
What I Drive: 2013 grey Focus SE 5MT appearncepkg

Points 209, Level 4
Points: 209, Level: 4 Points: 209, Level: 4 Points: 209, Level: 4
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 1 savethemanuals Good Standing Member
Quote:
Had the car in for an 8th appt (different dealership). The new dealership replaced yet another rear main seal for the leak. Also appears to have replaced the two transmission seals as well. I have checked it for leaks and haven't found any signs of further leaking. I will be keeping an eye on it though.
So how did this go? Seems like it got fixed since you didn't post further. I hope Ford Service is still active on here. I have a similar issue. Going on my third rear main seal failure in 60k miles. Still under CPO warranty. Thinking of going to a different dealer.
Being manual transmission, the oil gets on the clutch and affects driveability. They replaced the clutch the last two times as well.
So this is something that needs to be corrected somehow before warranty is up.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #38
Focus Rookie

Points 168, Level 3
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by savethemanuals View Post
So how did this go? Seems like it got fixed since you didn't post further. I hope Ford Service is still active on here. I have a similar issue. Going on my third rear main seal failure in 60k miles. Still under CPO warranty. Thinking of going to a different dealer.
Being manual transmission, the oil gets on the clutch and affects driveability. They replaced the clutch the last two times as well.
So this is something that needs to be corrected somehow before warranty is up.
Yes, it has remained fine since my last post. No leaks at all since (knock on wood)! Definitely take it to another dealership if you are having problems. A different set of people and eyes could make all the difference in getting things fixed. Not all mechanics in these dealerships are created equal. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #39
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 248321
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Sedan

Points 2,157, Level 28
Points: 2,157, Level: 28 Points: 2,157, Level: 28 Points: 2,157, Level: 28
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 4 stayboogy Good Standing Member
My focus has a very slight, and i mean slight, oil leak where the front of the engine and the transmission bolt together. i have to wipe up a little dried oil every few oil changes. it doesn't leak enough to drip or cause issues. I have 140k miles on my focus and this leak has been here since 23k miles. the main reason i have never done anything about it is because i had read of other people having the same leak, going to the dealer to get it fixed and then they suddenly started having dtc transmissions problems. my tranny has not given me any issues so i didn't want to take the chance. no harm, no worry hear.

picture is of the worst I had ever seen it, which was over 2 years ago
Attached Thumbnails
Bell housing oil leak that Ford Service can't seem to fix.-img_20161022_154357.jpg  

Last edited by stayboogy; 02-20-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:25 AM   #40
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 410951
Points 1, Level 1
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 bartles Good Standing Member
Daughers Issue, My Problem

Our daughter ran over a curb and cracked the oil pan on her 2008 Focus, 4 cly engine. We replaced the pan, using black silicone based sealant(auto parts store said there is no gasket required?) and still have a leak. Not exactly where but it appears to be on the time chain end. We did clean the all the surfaces good and wiped them with solvent. We also cleaned the bolts and put a small amount of sealant on about 4 theads from the end of the bolts.

Before we take it off again and repeat the process we would appreciate suggestions.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in