Bell housing oil leak that Ford Service can't seem to fix. - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #21
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96488
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver HB

Points 582, Level 11
Points: 582, Level: 11 Points: 582, Level: 11 Points: 582, Level: 11
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 B3NNI3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Similar issue here. Oil leak big enough to scare me. When you look up into the engine bay from underneath, it looks like a murder scene. lol
My local dealer has been awesome since day one when I got the car. They have addressed 90% of the issues super well. The other 10% they have not been able to duplicate. But that's another story.

The leak is between the clutch and tranny area. They took the car in, tested it and they ordered me a replacement clutch, and when that gets here, they will replace the tranny seal, and fixed everything. Hopefully it will work, and the tranny feels better.

Sometimes on the onramps or passing cars on the interstate, when you hit the gas to go, it feels like it misses a gear and loses power. Scares the crap out of me. I am actually afraid to merge sometimes, thinking that it will lose power as I am crossing a main road.

The fun of playing Russian Roulette with a car. lol Maybe that will end once the new clutch gets here in 6-9 weeks (as I was told is the wait for the new parts) :(
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #22
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 251313
What I Drive: 2013 Black SE

Points 168, Level 3
Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 wdavidson Good Standing Member
Well I had my 6th appointment to fix the leak a couple weeks ago. They ended up replacing the flex plate to crackshaft bolts. Jacked the car up last night to take a look and found that it is still leaking.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #23
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2015 Magnetic Titanium Hatchback

Points 2,501, Level 30
Points: 2,501, Level: 30 Points: 2,501, Level: 30 Points: 2,501, Level: 30
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 6 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavidson View Post
Well I had my 6th appointment to fix the leak a couple weeks ago. They ended up replacing the flex plate to crackshaft bolts. Jacked the car up last night to take a look and found that it is still leaking.
Definitely go with a different dealer. They're jacking you around, when they should know full well about the leak at the bellhousing being evidence of a contaminated clutch pack that needs replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2015, 10:01 PM   #24
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Can't imagine how that would help with an engine oil leak, and IF they really did that it would take trans. removal to do so.

Clutch pack to flex I've heard of with the engine/trans still hooked up, can't see how that would affect the engine oil leak either. Can't see how even if it was loose there that the crankshaft could wiggle enough to cause seepage.

on those characters, tooo many tries with no results.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 09-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #25
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 34,720, Level 100
Points: 34,720, Level: 100 Points: 34,720, Level: 100 Points: 34,720, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Replacing the flex plate bolts solve's the oil leak? How about the rear seal or the trans seal? Love to see how they would of fixed a oil leak on a 73, 60 or 64 Powerstroke. We'll just replace the flexplate bolts vs removing the bedplates & resealing them & then the pan & front & rear engine covers.
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19
Old 09-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #26
Focus Rookie

Points 168, Level 3
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Replacing the flex plate bolts solve's the oil leak? How about the rear seal or the trans seal? Love to see how they would of fixed a oil leak on a 73, 60 or 64 Powerstroke. We'll just replace the flexplate bolts vs removing the bedplates & resealing them & then the pan & front & rear engine covers.
They said that the oil was leaking because the bolts were maybe not torqued correctly, but obviously that wasn't the problem as the car is still leaking. They have already replaced the rear seal 3 times so I'm thinking that probably isn't the cause either.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #27
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 94526
What I Drive: '08 Muffin, '03 Yellow SVT, '10 SES

Points 2,758, Level 32
Points: 2,758, Level: 32 Points: 2,758, Level: 32 Points: 2,758, Level: 32
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 4 TriFocal_Discord Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Bell housing oil leak that Ford Service can't seem to fix.

Quote:
They said that the oil was leaking because the bolts were maybe not torqued correctly, but obviously that wasn't the problem as the car is still leaking. They have already replaced the rear seal 3 times so I'm thinking that probably isn't the cause either.

Take it to a different dealer... imo
PratoN likes this.

MK2008 Coupe: Daily Driver, Basically Stock
03SVT: Racecar, Basically Stock
10SES: Basically Stock
Old 09-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #28
__________/\__

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: '16 Camaro RS '13 SE Hatch TOTALED

Points 159,652, Level 100
Points: 159,652, Level: 100 Points: 159,652, Level: 100 Points: 159,652, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 34 wavsine Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
You could go to a different dealer to get a different interpretation of what is going on. I once had a turbocharged car that would "hunt" at idle and my dealer had my car for two weeks and could not figure it out. My dealer finally gave up and towed my car to a competing dealer who diagnosed the problem in less than an hour. It was drawing secondary air from a cracked rubber boot in the intake system.

If your dealer has actually replaced all the seals that they claim, I am leaning toward a porous engine block allowing oil to migrate through the casting. It is rare but it has happened to the Focus before. Honda and BMW have also had issues with this. Check this thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/g...d-block-4.html
sailor and Arco-Zakus like this.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:36 PM   #29
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
That was my thought early in the thread, sometimes you don't see what you aren't looking for.

Can't imagine doing the seal replacement wrong repeatedly, it's often a problem & doesn't always go well - but not three times!

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 09-29-2015, 12:07 PM   #30
Focus Rookie

Points 168, Level 3
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Well, I got my car back from my 7th service appointment a couple weeks ago, and the car is still leaking. When I picked the car up the shop foreman at Beechmont Ford said there was no evidence of an oil leak anywhere, and that the oil dripping from the bottom of the bell housing must be residual oil from the last time it was serviced because perhaps the mechanic didn't clean it up properly after my last service appt. So they cleaned everything thoroughly and said I should not be seeing anymore signs of a leak. But...

2 weeks later - STILL LEAKS! Oil is still dripping down from the bottom of the bell housing.

I suppose I'll look into having it serviced somewhere else. There isn't really any other convenient dealerships near me, but at this point I have zero confidence in Beechmont Ford being able to fix this.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in