Ford Powershift/DCT Transmission Info & Use Guide (New Owners Look Here!) - Page 64 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree133Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #631
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145602
Points 5,840, Level 49
Points: 5,840, Level: 49 Points: 5,840, Level: 49 Points: 5,840, Level: 49
Level Up 45% Completed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Forum Activity 57%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%
FF Reputation: 3 Pokerrun388 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukti View Post
The shaking and shuddering is basically back in full force after a couple of weeks. The only thing I haven't really felt so far was the rough shift in low gears, and acceleration seems to be slightly lower since the replacement? Well see how if goes after a few months; I'm expecting all the old behaviour to return.

Thatís how mine was. I received a new clutch at 12k miles & it seemed better but quickly started shuddering & sputtering shortly there after. Itís back in full force now so who knows it it will eventually leave me stranded somewhere, itís always in the back of my mind. Whatís interesting is that many people wont notice it on a short little drive around the block & back, however itís on extended drives, especially on surface streets, in stop & go traffic, where you really start to feel the jerky behavior of the DCT. I get embarrassed when I have people driving with me.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019, 09:12 AM   #632
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52547
What I Drive: 2015 Silver SE 2.0/DCT

Points 869, Level 15
Points: 869, Level: 15 Points: 869, Level: 15 Points: 869, Level: 15
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 2 Livens Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerrun388 View Post
... I get embarrassed when I have people driving with me.

Lol, everyone I know has asked me "What's wrong with your car" the first time they ride with me. I used to go into a long schpeel about how its not really an automatic, its a stick shift with a computer doing the shifting... the shudder is completely normal...

But now I just proclaim that "Ford Sucks" and leave it at that.
Pokerrun388 likes this.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #633
Focus Addict

Points 5,840, Level 49
Level Up 45% Completed
Forum Activity 57%
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherboy View Post
My Focus has received a bunch of TCM reprograms and a clutch replacement a year or 2 ago, but the issue persists (now out of warranty).

What's the worst case scenario driving on the faulty clutch? If it is just the shudder I'll live with it until I replace this car, but I want to know if there's been cases of complete clutch/transmission failures?

Iím in the same boat as you w/ my Ď13. Itís out of warranty now so Ford wonít cover anything. It consistently shudders & I have a grinding noise at slow speeds, maneuvering around a parking lot etc. I guess my biggest fear is that the TCM or clutch will fail again & Iíll have to take abrasive action to avoid an accident, however itís paid for so Iíll just keep driving it since it only has 40k on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2019, 10:10 AM   #634
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 414463
Points 18, Level 1
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 1 Scrappy34 Good Standing Member
Hello, looking for some advice. I own a 2015 Focus SE with 50,000 miles. Just like everyone else, my transmission shudders between 1st and 2nd gear (not all the time). While this is certainly annoying, the car seems to drive just fine. Its never been looked at by the dealership, although Ive asked about it and it was brushed off as not being a big deal. My car is almost paid off, so I was looking forward to having a car with no payment. What should I do??
Old 07-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #635
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 300666
What I Drive: 2015 Focus SE Auto

Points 2,093, Level 27
Points: 2,093, Level: 27 Points: 2,093, Level: 27 Points: 2,093, Level: 27
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 1 iceflow Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy34 View Post
Hello, looking for some advice. I own a 2015 Focus SE with 50,000 miles. Just like everyone else, my transmission shudders between 1st and 2nd gear (not all the time). While this is certainly annoying, the car seems to drive just fine. Its never been looked at by the dealership, although Ive asked about it and it was brushed off as not being a big deal. My car is almost paid off, so I was looking forward to having a car with no payment. What should I do??
We have a 2015 SE with 56K on it. Just had the clutches done 1st July before she runs out of warranty. No run around, no questions asked by AutoNation Ford in Katy, TX and I've never taken it there for servicing. They were great. If I were you I'd get it in before the 60K comes up. There's so much crap flying around now with Ford even making national news with DCT issues, you are likely to get a result. Still has to fail the slippage test though. Ours was....350 RPM I think. No shudder when cold but shudder 1st to 2nd when hot. Now shudder free. Can't wait to sell it.!!
Old 07-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #636
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 863, Level 15
Points: 863, Level: 15 Points: 863, Level: 15 Points: 863, Level: 15
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
Quote:
First and foremost: don't ever let the dealership tell you "it's not a big deal". It's your car. You know what a car should feel like and if yours doesn't feel right, it is a big deal. Tell them it doesn't feel safe: that should shut them up.

Second: schedule a time to have your car looked at. It takes a little while to have the diagnostic run to see if your transmission is running outside of the 250RPM limit - and it's a fully day's worth of labor to get the clutch pack replaced if it is - so plan on leaving it overnight.

IIRC, the 2015s all had the updated clutch packs and TCMs out of the factory, but maybe not. Doesn't really matter; while the updated TCM is probably fine, a new clutch pack and input shaft seals don't really fix the overarching issues with the DPS6. The best you can do is get new parts and drive it a bit more "intentionally" (don't be gentle with the gas, avoid "creeping" in slow traffic, use Sport mode when not on the highway if you have that feature).
Arco-Zakus likes this.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:51 PM   #637
Focus Addict

Points 5,840, Level 49
Level Up 45% Completed
Forum Activity 57%
Quote:

Running 91-93 octane will solve the problem * allegedly *

Old 08-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #638
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 191217
What I Drive: 2016 Titanium

Points 11, Level 1
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 eroberts435 Good Standing Member
DCT ok now

I had a 14 Titanium.
First clutch pack at about 15K, second at 40K then at about 50 it started shuddering again. None of the clutches made it past 5K miles before I started noticing the shuddering but delayed taking it in just because of the annoyance. I was getting closer to the end of the warranty so I took it back again. At that point I traded it for a 16 Titanium thinking that maybe they corrected the issue. I've loved driving the Focus with the exception of the DCT. At around 10K I started noticing it but it wasn't severe. At around 15K I had let Tom do a tune on my car at the same time changing the thermostat to 180 on his advice. To be fair I hadnt said anything to Tom about the shuddering because the DCT issue is so common. The Tune was fantastic, loved it and would do it again in a second but the shuddering continued to get worse. So at 20K I took it to Ford again. My dealership was always fantastic about getting the clutch replaced quickly, no questions or hassles they just fixed it quickly. Anyhow during all the clutch issues I noticed that if the car was cold I generally didnt have problems, after a replacement when it got into the summer months then the clutch would start down hill. Now after the last clutch replacement Ive gone through most of the summer with no issues and an additional 20K on the clutch. The DCT feels like its a good thing to have in the car. So I cant help but think having the engine with the 180 thermostat may have been helpful. Less heat soak into the transmission and clutch. I dont think changing the thermostat to 180 after the clutch has been over heated helps the DCT but having the lower temp thermostat then having a new clutch might be the key. That or the last clutch pack and firmware actually worked?
Has anyone else had this experience after changing to the 180 thermostat?
Old 08-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #639
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 171497
What I Drive: 2014 Blue Candy Metallic SE

Points 332, Level 6
Points: 332, Level: 6 Points: 332, Level: 6 Points: 332, Level: 6
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 1 mukti Good Standing Member
Over a month later and its just as bad, if not worse. Oh well.. I'll just have to dela with it until I decide to get a new vehicle :/

FWIW, I don't really mind it, and its only weird when I'm driving others and I explain what's happening.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #640
Focus Addict

Points 5,840, Level 49
Level Up 45% Completed
Forum Activity 57%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukti View Post
Over a month later and its just as bad, if not worse. Oh well.. I'll just have to dela with it until I decide to get a new vehicle :/

FWIW, I don't really mind it, and its only weird when I'm driving others and I explain what's happening.

Mine is terrible to but Fordís not going to do anything to help us, so oh well. Iíve considered an ST or Escape however I really hate wasting money on cars. I tell myself it doesnít bug me, but in reality it does. Even after owning this car since Ď14, it still makes me upset in stop & go traffic.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in