Ford Powershift/DCT Transmission Info & Use Guide (New Owners Look Here!) - Page 58 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2018, 02:13 PM   #571
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: VW GTI, Mazda-3 after 2012-Focus

Points 632, Level 12
Points: 632, Level: 12 Points: 632, Level: 12 Points: 632, Level: 12
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonStaff View Post
Hi to all, i am contemplating selling me beloved 2005 SES 5-speed wagon full equipped for a newer Focus.

I heard about the transmission issues but it was my belief that these problems were solved by 2015 model-year.

Is it? Do all auto transmission Focus have these problems?

Thanks!
PLEASE check very thoroughly before buying any dual clutch focus any year. I have followed several years here with everyone always hoping finally it was resolved. Its your business if you buy one but make sure you have checked thoroughly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FordFocus/c...16_ford_focus/
https://californialemonlawgroup.com/...-transmission/
2015-VW GTI DSG, 2013-mazda3 , 2012-Focus SE DCT trans , 2006-VW GTI , DSG trans ,2002 Celica GTS 180hp VVT lexus motor , 1990 Mustang LX 5.0 with fact roller cam, stainless headers, etc , Triumph TR8, with Buick aluminum V8 from the factory
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #572
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52547
What I Drive: 2015 Silver SE 2.0/DCT

Points 856, Level 15
Points: 856, Level: 15 Points: 856, Level: 15 Points: 856, Level: 15
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 2 Livens Good Standing Member
Quote:
Hi to all, i am contemplating selling me beloved 2005 SES 5-speed wagon full equipped for a newer Focus.

I heard about the transmission issues but it was my belief that these problems were solved by 2015 model-year.

Thanks!
Nope. I have a 2015 and had the clutches replaced at ~50k. Less than 2 years later and it shudders like a mofo again :(. We are now passed the 60k warranty mark... and I don't think the extended warranty includes 2015+ years.

Can someone correct me on that? Does the 100k clutch/TCM warranty cover 2015's?
Old 09-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #573
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 312017
What I Drive: 2013 Red SE Sedan

Points 143, Level 2
Points: 143, Level: 2 Points: 143, Level: 2 Points: 143, Level: 2
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 78%
Activity: 78% Activity: 78% Activity: 78%
FF Reputation: 1 StLCards Good Standing Member
I don't know about 2015's. They are covering my TCM on my 2013 at 91,539 miles. At least on that car, the guy said he thinks clutches are covered 7 years or 100,000 miles from start of car's warranty.

Now that said, the dealer told me if I had to cover the TCM myself, it would a little over 400. I think 407 or something. If memory serves, he said clutches installed would be like 389 or something.

According to this link it should be covered though.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2082/14m02-t...012-2016-focus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #574
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 6,451, Level 52
Points: 6,451, Level: 52 Points: 6,451, Level: 52 Points: 6,451, Level: 52
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 19 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:

Most complaints I've seen are from 2012 (2011MY for the Fiesta) through halfway through the 2016 model year. Any Focus built before 6 Nov 2015 has old clutches if they haven't been replaced.

Honestly, I'd just avoid the automatic Focus with the 6DCT250 if you can. I believe the 1.0L comes with a standard (slushbox) auto if you really don't want to buy any other makes/models.

Sent from my LG-H932 using FF Mobile
Old 10-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #575
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 746, Level 14
Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 44%
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
Quote:

Thanks!
If it has a DCT, you will have an unreasonably high chance of issues. It doesn't matter which year. Whether the earlier ones were worse or they've just been around longer for problems to pop up - or a combination of the two - no one can say for sure.

The fact is that the DCT is unreliable at best, dangerous at worst. Personally, I'd bank on spending at least $2500 on top of whatever you pay for the car. If you think it's still worth purchasing at that point, then go for it.

As others have mentioned, the true manual and slushbox are fine.

If you're dead set on getting a Focus with a DCT, you could also factor in $500 for Tom's tune. He doesn't guarantee that it will do anything, so you really just have his advertisements and some unconfirmed positive endorsements (most from users with low post counts). There are negative (and neutral) reviews of his tune, too, but most of them aren't public and I received several as PMs when I asked in one of the threads. It's possible that the tune is a $500 miracle cure that scores of Ford engineers could never figure out on their own, though, and might be worth trying out from the beginning if you find a DCT out of warranty that isn't currently having issues.
GhiaFan likes this.

Last edited by rczrider; 10-22-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #576
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 406901
What I Drive: 2016 Focus SE sedan

Points 30, Level 1
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 1 rpc1228 Good Standing Member
Hey everyone, new Focus owner here. I recently bought a 2016 SE with the DCT and SelectShift paddles. It’s got 44,000 on the clock and the first two weeks of ownership have gone well and I love this car. No shuddering or odd sounds coming from the gearbox. According to the CarFax the cars build date was in October of 2016 which, if I’ve read everything correctly, means it got the update clutch pack. While driving I almost exclusively use the paddles to shift, so the TCU doesn’t have to do any work. I understand smooth throttle input helps as well as driving these cars a little harder.

My question and biggest concern is the best strategy for slowing the car and downshifting through the gears at stop signs/lights/heavy traffic. So far I’ve- slowly changed down thru the gears as traffic slows(almost engine breaking), I’ve slowed down a lot and then manuall changed down at low speeds and then there have been times where I’ve slowed to second gear and let the TCU change down to first for me. Is there a ‘best practice’ in being as gentile as possible to them to get the most life out of the clutches as it related to slowing and downshifting?
Old 11-05-2018, 12:34 PM   #577
Focus Enthusiast

Points 746, Level 14
Level Up 46% Completed
Forum Activity 44%
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1228 View Post
Hey everyone, new Focus owner here. I recently bought a 2016 SE with the DCT and SelectShift paddles. It's got 44,000 on the clock and the first two weeks of ownership have gone well and I love this car. No shuddering or odd sounds coming from the gearbox. According to the CarFax the cars build date was in October of 2016 which, if I've read everything correctly, means it got the update clutch pack. While driving I almost exclusively use the paddles to shift, so the TCU doesn't have to do any work. I understand smooth throttle input helps as well as driving these cars a little harder.

My question and biggest concern is the best strategy for slowing the car and downshifting through the gears at stop signs/lights/heavy traffic. So far I've- slowly changed down thru the gears as traffic slows(almost engine breaking), I've slowed down a lot and then manuall changed down at low speeds and then there have been times where I've slowed to second gear and let the TCU change down to first for me. Is there a 'best practice' in being as gentile as possible to them to get the most life out of the clutches as it related to slowing and downshifting?
If you enjoy the paddle shifters, then keep using them. If you're doing it for the sole purpose of preventing the DCT from crapping the bed, it's even odds that you'll end up with issues, anyway.

No one on this board can tell you if what you're doing will prevent issues; it's a matter of opinion and there is no "best practice" for improving longevity of the transmission. The DPS6 is garbage for a ridiculous number of Focus and Fiesta owners. That, at least, isn't opinion. Not everyone will have issues, but just about everyone who does continues to have issues after TCM and clutch pack replacements (even to the latest revision).

Tom's tune seems to have the greatest amount of success in reducing/eliminating/preventing shudder, but that's not 100%, either. If you want to hedge your bets, throw $500 at him for a flasher and custom tune.

I will say that the consensus is not to baby the DCT. Maybe you can if you're shifting yourself, though.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #578
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 406737
What I Drive: 2018 Focus SE

Points 9, Level 1
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 magnetic Good Standing Member
Hi, new here. Bought a new 2018 Focus with dct and love it. When looking for the car, I saw all the reports on the trans and was a lot leary of buying one. Test drove it and liked it a lot. Thought the trans was the most fun thing about it.
I see all the bad threads on these and to me I think Ford has it figured out in the 2018, at least I hope.
Are there any threads on people who never had a problem with there trans? Would like to start one but cannot find button to start new thread.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:46 PM   #579
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 406901
What I Drive: 2016 Focus SE sedan

Points 30, Level 1
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 1 rpc1228 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rczrider View Post
If you enjoy the paddle shifters, then keep using them. If you're doing it for the sole purpose of preventing the DCT from crapping the bed, it's even odds that you'll end up with issues, anyway.

No one on this board can tell you if what you're doing will prevent issues; it's a matter of opinion and there is no "best practice" for improving longevity of the transmission. The DPS6 is garbage for a ridiculous number of Focus and Fiesta owners. That, at least, isn't opinion. Not everyone will have issues, but just about everyone who does continues to have issues after TCM and clutch pack replacements (even to the latest revision).

Tom's tune seems to have the greatest amount of success in reducing/eliminating/preventing shudder, but that's not 100%, either. If you want to hedge your bets, throw $500 at him for a flasher and custom tune.

I will say that the consensus is not to baby the DCT. Maybe you can if you're shifting yourself, though.
Thanks for your reply. I've been using the paddles because it's far more fun and I like the idea of the TCU doing zero learning or gear searching. Can't hurt... What's the consensus on the late-2016 "improvements"? Still the same rate of failure or has it improved things?

It's a shame that the DCT's fail at such a high rate because this car is so fun to drive.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #580
Focus Enthusiast

Points 746, Level 14
Level Up 46% Completed
Forum Activity 44%
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic View Post
Hi, new here. Bought a new 2018 Focus with dct and love it. When looking for the car, I saw all the reports on the trans and was a lot leary of buying one. Test drove it and liked it a lot. Thought the trans was the most fun thing about it.
I see all the bad threads on these and to me I think Ford has it figured out in the 2018, at least I hope.
Are there any threads on people who never had a problem with there trans? Would like to start one but cannot find button to start new thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1228 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I've been using the paddles because it's far more fun and I like the idea of the TCU doing zero learning or gear searching. Can't hurt... What's the consensus on the late-2016 "improvements"? Still the same rate of failure or has it improved things?

It's a shame that the DCT's fail at such a high rate because this car is so fun to drive.
Nothing I've read has indicated that Ford "got it right" on the MK3.5. There are absolutely reports of 2016 with shudder issues and replaced clutch packs. If some folks are reporting them online, of course there are many others who aren't.

You don't see as many complaints on the MK3.5 because it's relatively new. It takes some miles before the shudder is bad enough for someone to bring it in. I'll point to myself as a perfect example: I have had my TCM and clutch pack assembly replaced twice (so I'm on my third set) on my 2014. This was all done within about 4 years and 48k miles. Honest-to-goodness, I did not expect them to replace the clutch pack either time because the shudder wasn't very noticeable (it was so gradual that I didn't realize it was there). I'm just pretty sensitive to irregularities in my cars and thought I'd take it in while it's under warranty. Both times, new TCM and new clutch packs.

The MK3.5 hasn't been out for 4 years, yet (or, rather, it's right at 4 years). Ford has definitely made improvements; the 2011 Fiestas and 2012 Focuses were downright awful. So the MK3.5 is starting out with improved hardware and software; if that were the only problem, then sure, you could claim they've "fixed" the problem.

Except that they haven't. The DPS6 is a flawed design, end of story. If it were really just the clutch packs and TCM that were the issue, than MK3 owners with the updated components should be fine. But they're not.

Don't get me wrong, not every Fiesta and Focus owner with a DCT will have problems. Not even the majority. DPS6 proponents will tell you to just buy one because you have greater odds of getting a good one than a bad. That's probably true. Of course, they say that because they haven't had trouble. Believe me, you will regret taking the risk if you get a "bad" one. Because a bad one is always bad. Always. There is no fix for it. I have not seen a single person report that their DCT has worked without issue for more than 15-20K miles after getting replacement parts.

Do what you want, it's your money. I agree that the car is fun to drive when it works. And if you're lucky, your car will continue to work without issues until it needs transmission work at a "normal" time (150k+ miles).

The fact, however, is that no one here knows what the problem is. Tom claims it's 100% software and he certainly has some happy customers (not all of them, though, so I wouldn't exactly consider his tune a miracle cure). I will almost certainly try his tune after my 5yr/60k warranty runs out. There's the idea that it's a simple grounding/electrical issue. Seems too simple to me, but hey, maybe it is that simple. It can't hurt to try the mod, so I'll probably do that, too. I'll use FORscan to enable Sport mode on my non-SelectShift in order to reduce shifting and feathering because the TCM is really stupid. I hope one of those - or a combination - gets me something close to reasonable life out of this car, but I don't have faith in it. In all likelihood, I'll attempt to swap out the DCT for a MTX75 5sp manual when the transmission inevitably craps out before 100k miles. That and hope for a class action against Ford that really hurts them for screwing over their customers. They deserve to have to buy back every problematic Fiesta and Focus (if it seems like I'm bitter, I am...and you will be, too, if you're unlucky enough to have trouble with your DCT a couple of years or 25-30k miles down the road).

EDIT 11/07: long-time user on reddit (so not just someone who signed up to bash the Focus) has to have the clutch pack replaced on their 2018 SEL after only 20k miles. While it may be an isolated incident - certainly there are lemons for every make and model, no matter how "good" it is - I'm not sure I'd consider the issue fixed (and would be surprised, given that the issues are inherent to the design, not something simple like seals).

Last edited by rczrider; 11-07-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in