Ford Powershift/DCT Transmission Info & Use Guide (New Owners Look Here!) - Page 13 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree136Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2015, 05:27 PM   #121
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 1,743, Level 24
Points: 1,743, Level: 24 Points: 1,743, Level: 24 Points: 1,743, Level: 24
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 16 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
... The problem is that small percent or not, for 3 years people have been a world of aggravation trying to get it fixed IF theirs was one.
That has been the worst part. If a tree falls in the woods and lands on your head, it doesn't matter to you how many other trees there are in that forrest.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #122
Focus Addict

Fan#: 159706
What I Drive: '16 Kia Forte5 SX Turbo 6 speed

Points 1,385, Level 20
Points: 1,385, Level: 20 Points: 1,385, Level: 20 Points: 1,385, Level: 20
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 danbfree Good Standing Member
I think a bigger problem was that many of the Ford techs were not fully trained on how to repair the transmission properly either... There have been YouTube videos posted of the repair process and how it is easy to get the repair wrong... Mine was done last year with Rev C seals, and Rev D clutch pack and has been fine, and my opinion is that the techs themselves have finally gotten the repair down better recently.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #123
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

Points 1,195, Level 18
Points: 1,195, Level: 18 Points: 1,195, Level: 18 Points: 1,195, Level: 18
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
I also think it's important to note before placing all the blame on Ford is that the transmission is NOT even made by Ford but Getrag... Now, of course that doesn't make the situation itself better but it's more along the lines of Ford making a bad decision to trust Getrag that these transmissions were ready for mass production. Ford has been overall the most reliable American brand and there is a good reason they didn't need to take government bailout money and that's because they put out overall very good products. To place ALL the blame on Ford and saying you will never buy one again is pretty short-sighted, IMHO, but do what you want, that's your right... And I say this after my transmission almost caused me to have an accident but it was fixed and has been fine since, and I don't mind it's bit of quirkiness overall.
Couldn't Ford pass some of the blame with Getrag, since Getrag has some responsibility in all this? Ford subcontracted out, but Ford still has to rely on partners - like estimators, there are people who are usually paid to look at statistics and shift gears when bad trends develop. That and Getrag did not make the whole car. When one partner doesn't know what the other is doing, problems ensue. What did Getrag needed to know from Ford? Should Getrag ask questions about how the rest of the Mk3 Focus was being developed?

Even then, Ford made the choice to subcontract, and most of us, if asked, would probably say to have everything done in-house where control and communication are quicker and clearer. Ford was in the driver's seat regarding using Getrag, pardon the pub.

Having said that, Ford is extending warranties and thus helping out customers as such. That's helping to convince me Ford actually wants to keep customers in the future, even if 7 years is short (who came up with that figure? How long do people normally keep cars? Many say "ten years", though many also say "six".) Either way, by then, Mk4 will hopefully be a lot better where it counts the most - this isn't a cup holder that's flaking out, it's one of the most critical parts OF a car. Big difference. But Ford's mistake has cost it customers. It doesn't matter if Ford was directly responsible for the design or indirectly via Getrag dropped the ball. Ford made the choice. The customers got hurt. Anyone in business knows what options exist and I am believing Ford is making largely the right ones.

With luck the clutch pack rev F will fix the problems, unlike how everyone thought 12B37 fixed everything for good nearly three years ago.

But, most interestingly, why care about Ford not taking taxpayer money as if there's any form of nationalism going on? Especially when Ford opted to close the F150 plant and move it to another country. As if it matters - most people know Ford's cars contain parts made all over the world, just like ever other car maker. It's as American as Toyota, just for some different reasons.

That and, in general, companies that make good products don't always get sales - especially when customers don't have the money to spend. Like the former factory workers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #124
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

Points 1,195, Level 18
Points: 1,195, Level: 18 Points: 1,195, Level: 18 Points: 1,195, Level: 18
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
I think a bigger problem was that many of the Ford techs were not fully trained on how to repair the transmission properly either... There have been YouTube videos posted of the repair process and how it is easy to get the repair wrong... Mine was done last year with Rev C seals, and Rev D clutch pack and has been fine, and my opinion is that the techs themselves have finally gotten the repair down better recently.
If Rev D is rock solid, why was Rev F created? I'd almost bet money that rev "F" is not the magic cure-all. If it is, that's great! Only time will tell. At least we're covered with warranty and Ford's backing up customers is a genuinely nice thing to do. But it's hard to disagree with those who've looked up lemon laws either (both sides of the issue make sense and have validity and maybe it was best for the revamped Focus to have been delayed, although the Fiesta had the DCT for a year, problems were mentioned, and it was ported to the Focus anyway.)

I'm sure the technicians are now fully in tune with dealing with the DCT thanks to their increasing ubiquity. But even the best technician can only do so much with an imperfectly designed part. The DCT's issue in the Focus seems to have more to do with the design and engineering rather than the technicians and their unenviable job of having to repair/replace transmission components or while transmissions.

Especially in real world conditions like city traffic, there are legitimate issues. Let's hope clutch packs rev D and F really do fix the issues.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #125
Focus Addict

Points 1,385, Level 20
Level Up 85% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused1 View Post
But, most interestingly, why care about Ford not taking taxpayer money as if there's any form of nationalism going on? Especially when Ford opted to close the F150 plant and move it to another country. As if it matters - most people know Ford's cars contain parts made all over the world, just like ever other car maker. It's as American as Toyota, just for some different reasons.
I agree with a lot of your posts, but this one blew a lot of your credibility. I CLEARLY mentioned it as a point of Ford's overall quality and yet you take it a point on some rant about nationalism? I guess I just need to be done with these threads where people insist on ripping apart other points through eloquent yet poorly comprehended reading skills apparently. Go ahead and have fun venting here, I'm done trying to make any points here.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:18 PM   #126
Focus Addict

Points 1,385, Level 20
Level Up 85% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
If Rev D is rock solid, why was Rev F created? I'd almost bet money that rev "F" is not the magic cure-all. If it is, that's great! Only time will tell. At least we're covered with warranty and Ford's backing up customers is a genuinely nice thing to do. But it's hard to disagree with those who've looked up lemon laws either (both sides of the issue make sense and have validity and maybe it was best for the revamped Focus to have been delayed, although the Fiesta had the DCT for a year, problems were mentioned, and it was ported to the Focus anyway.)

I'm sure the technicians are now fully in tune with dealing with the DCT thanks to their increasing ubiquity. But even the best technician can only do so much with an imperfectly designed part. The DCT's issue in the Focus seems to have more to do with the design and engineering rather than the technicians and their unenviable job of having to repair/replace transmission components or while transmissions.

Especially in real world conditions like city traffic, there are legitimate issues. Let's hope clutch packs rev D and F really do fix the issues.
It's called constant improvement and "Rev" F is just the clutch packs and seal packaged together. I have more miles on my Rev D clutch than the original lasted and yes, I still stand by my opinion that poorly trained techs has a lot to do with the repairs lasting. Also a lot of the city traffic issues are impatient drivers not driving like the transmission was designed to, whether it should be that way or not. I personally have very few issues in traffic.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #127
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: VW GTI, Mazda-3 after 2012-Focus

Points 632, Level 12
Points: 632, Level: 12 Points: 632, Level: 12 Points: 632, Level: 12
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:

I've been following this subject for years and I have yet to see anyone come back with a later failure after revision F. Believe me I'm no fan of Fords handling of this issue but a spades a spade.
2015-VW GTI DSG, 2013-mazda3 , 2012-Focus SE DCT trans , 2006-VW GTI , DSG trans ,2002 Celica GTS 180hp VVT lexus motor , 1990 Mustang LX 5.0 with fact roller cam, stainless headers, etc , Triumph TR8, with Buick aluminum V8 from the factory
Old 03-31-2015, 12:34 PM   #128
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
"F" was questioned when it was first learned of, as "D" seemed to be doing the job.

Then multiple sources confirmed it as packaging "D" clutches along with seals, and existing stocks of individual components were still to be used until gone since it wasn't an "upgrade".

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 04-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #129
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 231762
What I Drive: 2013 Silver Focus

Points 24, Level 1
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 1 harrisonmitch Good Standing Member
Thank you for the information! I just recently bought a used 2013 Ford Focus with 56,000 miles on it and have been experiencing the jerkiness of the transmission. What I have experienced is that my transmission becomes more jerky the longer my trip is. Is there any particular reason for this? Is the jerkiness of the transmission rough on the transmission itself?
Old 04-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #130
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 4,225, Level 41
Points: 4,225, Level: 41 Points: 4,225, Level: 41 Points: 4,225, Level: 41
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 17 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisonmitch View Post
Thank you for the information! I just recently bought a used 2013 Ford Focus with 56,000 miles on it and have been experiencing the jerkiness of the transmission. What I have experienced is that my transmission becomes more jerky the longer my trip is. Is there any particular reason for this? Is the jerkiness of the transmission rough on the transmission itself?
I had this problem as well, but Field Service Action 12B37 (revised programming) was a solution. You're still covered by the powertrain and extended clutch/seals/programming warranties, so take it to your dealer.

12B37 was mandatory, so yes, Ford thought severe jerkiness could damage the transmission.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in