how much does it costs to replace the DCT clutch? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116275
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatchback 5sp

Points 224, Level 4
Points: 224, Level: 4 Points: 224, Level: 4 Points: 224, Level: 4
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 mtnbkr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
what is food for thought is the many posts you can read here where symptoms that are supposed to be normal, go away after parts are replaced.

even in my own case, all symptoms went away during the cold new england winter and then returned when it was hot enough for the AC to be on.

never mind all the memos and posts, just take a few moments to ask yourself:

how can a symptom which is supposed to be normal.....go away when parts are replaced or the weather changes ?
Could be that some people describing "normal" symptoms are actually having real problems, but at a level that the symptoms are identical to what is considered "normal". Ten people are having chest pain, but only one is having an actual heart attack...

I'd like to know what effect improper operation has on the clutch packs. Since we know the DCT likes to be operated in a certain manner, what happens when you don't? Is it like a manual where there is accelerated clutch wear?

Chris
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #22
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

Points 2,756, Level 32
Points: 2,756, Level: 32 Points: 2,756, Level: 32 Points: 2,756, Level: 32
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
Unless you drive purely city, I can imagine they would last a while. The few DCT Fiesta/Focus I drove had a really low first gear. Not much clutch slippage required to get moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostinger View Post
It's safe to say that transmission technician is a secure position at Ford dealerships.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using FF Mobile 4
With the exception of the DCT issues and the occasional 6F35 problem, ford has never had better automatic transmissions than they do now.

Early 90s to Mid 00s ... Ford made some horrible automatic transmissions. They were almost as bad as Chrysler for

unreliable automatic transmissions!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #23
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: VW GTI, Mazda-3 after 2012-Focus

Points 631, Level 12
Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
Could be that some people describing "normal" symptoms are actually having real problems, but at a level that the symptoms are identical to what is considered "normal". Ten people are having chest pain, but only one is having an actual heart attack...

I'd like to know what effect improper operation has on the clutch packs. Since we know the DCT likes to be operated in a certain manner, what happens when you don't? Is it like a manual where there is accelerated clutch wear?

Chris
I have never seen one post here, edmunds town talk-focusand/or the lemon law blog-focus where the owner said he was ever advised to drive it like a manual and/or give it extra gas.

Its a quick car, goosing it on every green light is a prescription for a ticket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #24
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116275
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatchback 5sp

Points 224, Level 4
Points: 224, Level: 4 Points: 224, Level: 4 Points: 224, Level: 4
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 mtnbkr Good Standing Member
They might not be advised to do so, but that seems to be how to get the DCT to drive better. My friend noticed as much with his wife's VW.

I'm not saying one should "goose" it, just give it a bit more gas. It likes to be on or off, not "well, I think I want to move now...maybe not".

Chris
Old 09-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #25
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104328
What I Drive: 2017 Fusion Energi Platinum

Points 1,149, Level 18
Points: 1,149, Level: 18 Points: 1,149, Level: 18 Points: 1,149, Level: 18
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Woggy64 Good Standing Member
What type of trans does the CX-5 have in it?

And yes, you do need to know what it is you are buying/driving and learn. But then again, that's another of my peeve with the USoA - drivers here are handed a permit and turned loose on the streets. I have seen drivers that do not know how to change a tire, or fuel their vehicles.

I asked, and was instructed, to drive this car from the start like I've owned it for years and was specifically told not to baby it. Word for word was "drive it like you Mustang".

16,500 miles in 11 months, and the car feels great. Just added the K&N air filter too - and it maybe just me, but I think I notice it's better off from a dead stop.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #26
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109094
What I Drive: 13' SE|HB

FF Reputation: 1 bigliketexas Good Standing Member
Some of these cars are actually faulty, and this car has unique characteristics.

My car had contaminated clutches due to faulty seals. After my car was fitted with replacement/updated parts, it performs better than the first day I bought it. The car does have it's personality; however, some of these "normal operating" behaviors were discredited after my car was repaired, leaving me to believe SOME of these cars are being sold faulty, brand new.

There is a large learning curve to it, and constantly reading "I've been driving xx amount of years, dont tell me Im driving it wrong" leads me to believe a larger amount of people are being extremely bullheaded.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #27
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116485
What I Drive: Not a Focus anymore. Good riddance!

Points 986, Level 16
Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Etch. Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woggy64 View Post
What type of trans does the CX-5 have in it?

And yes, you do need to know what it is you are buying/driving and learn. But then again, that's another of my peeve with the USoA - drivers here are handed a permit and turned loose on the streets. I have seen drivers that do not know how to change a tire, or fuel their vehicles.

I asked, and was instructed, to drive this car from the start like I've owned it for years and was specifically told not to baby it. Word for word was "drive it like you Mustang".

16,500 miles in 11 months, and the car feels great. Just added the K&N air filter too - and it maybe just me, but I think I notice it's better off from a dead stop.
Same pair of transmissions as the 3 and 6 if not more of their models.

Speaking of Mazdas, FWIW, I drove a 2014 6 Sport. Despite being significantly bigger thus presumably heavier, it drove VERY well for getting near the same rated MPG....and of course with a properly operating transmission, the overall driving experience is much better then a focus with a DCT acting up, since it just well, works! Not a perfect car...louder on the road then other similar sedans, and it has some cheap interior aspects I don't like, a big one being the cheesy sliding arm rests with no detents nor a good amount of resistance to keep it in place. If road and wind noise isn't a top concern, for near $20k the sport models can be had for, it's not a bad car! Wouldn't be a bad option for someone getting out of a bad focus and wanting a relatively cheap and good MPG car. I wont be getting one personally, but it is a good option.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #28
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: VW GTI, Mazda-3 after 2012-Focus

Points 631, Level 12
Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch. View Post
Same pair of transmissions as the 3 and 6 if not more of their models.

Speaking of Mazdas, FWIW, I drove a 2014 6 Sport. Despite being significantly bigger thus presumably heavier, it drove VERY well for getting near the same rated MPG....and of course with a properly operating transmission, the overall driving experience is much better then a focus with a DCT acting up, since it just well, works! Not a perfect car...louder on the road then other similar sedans, and it has some cheap interior aspects I don't like, a big one being the cheesy sliding arm rests with no detents nor a good amount of resistance to keep it in place. If road and wind noise isn't a top concern, for near $20k the sport models can be had for, it's not a bad car! Wouldn't be a bad option for someone getting out of a bad focus and wanting a relatively cheap and good MPG car. I wont be getting one personally, but it is a good option.
, the overall driving experience is much better then the a focus with a DCT acting up, since it just well, works!

That is what I'm finding with my mazda-3. If you had a bad DCT, you won't believe the relief to drive a car without problems
Old 06-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #29
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23553
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 5spd

Points 6,892, Level 54
Points: 6,892, Level: 54 Points: 6,892, Level: 54 Points: 6,892, Level: 54
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 15 xFOCIx Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
I would think the lifspan of dual clutches should exceed 250,000 miles of use.
It's no different from the clutch on a manual transmission, but less mileage dependent.The DCT is all about how many times you start from a stop.

A city commuter that averages 30 starts per mile is much harder on the clutch than someone in the country who only does 2-3 starts to the mile. the computer is better at rev matching so the wear in shift between gears should be less, but the clutch wear in traffic is unavoidable.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #30
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41397
What I Drive: '12 Titanium, Tuxedo Black

Points 209, Level 4
Points: 209, Level: 4 Points: 209, Level: 4 Points: 209, Level: 4
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 technoshark Good Standing Member
Dealer quoted me approx. $1,500.00 when I had my clutch pack replaced under warranty.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in