how much does it costs to replace the DCT clutch? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104161
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

Points 266, Level 5
Points: 266, Level: 5 Points: 266, Level: 5 Points: 266, Level: 5
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 0 mp223 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leppylep View Post
"The published lifetime is approximately 10 years/ 150,000 miles" so what happens at that, you have to pay for a new transmission? being a mechanic, something about never having to change the oil kinda bothers me.
Presumably that is when you change the clutches and gear oil. Since it is a manual trans, in theory it should not be as sensitive to extended oil change intervals like a torque converter auto.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

Points 6,061, Level 50
Points: 6,061, Level: 50 Points: 6,061, Level: 50 Points: 6,061, Level: 50
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 14 valmundo Great Standing Member
Most (but not all) of the folks complaining about the DCT are really complaining about how they don't like it. There are plenty of folks here who complain about the DCT but are still racking up impressive miles on them. Someone the other day posted a complaint but inadvertently admitted that he or she already had 98,000 miles on the DCT. I was like really? Where is the failure?

Even those who complain about the grinding noise still drive the car on the regular. Now I am not saying that grinding noise is good or normal, but considering that those cars ARE making grinding noises and yet still drives says something.

The Focus MK3 has been out now for two years and is currently on its third model year. To date, there are NO MASS TRANNY FAILS. What is happening is that there are several documented lemons out there but considering the amount reported compared to the total amount of MK3 sold it is quite small. Not to discount the problems reported but if your DCT is running fine, why would you be inquiring about replacing the tranny? As has been said before the ones who are not happy with their cars are the loudest on the "internets". That does not mean that there is an impending wave of tranny failures coming.

Furthermore, there is a rumor about a new improved DCT on the newer model Focus but no one yet has been able to definitively PROVE this to be the case. Also, some months ago there was this HUGE thread that claimed that turning off traction control eliminated the shudder. That turned out to be bogus as well since we are still hearing folks complain. The point is, the complaints on the DCT has taken a life of its own so you should read them with a grain of salt.

What I WOULD like to see is whether there is a way to upgrade the 5 speed manual with the 6 speed available overseas. That would be nice!
Old 09-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #13
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89988
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Sterling Grey

Points 1,822, Level 25
Points: 1,822, Level: 25 Points: 1,822, Level: 25 Points: 1,822, Level: 25
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 2 vegachicago Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
Most (but not all) of the folks complaining about the DCT are really complaining about how they don't like it. There are plenty of folks here who complain about the DCT but are still racking up impressive miles on them. Someone the other day posted a complaint but inadvertently admitted that he or she already had 98,000 miles on the DCT. I was like really? Where is the failure?

Even those who complain about the grinding noise still drive the car on the regular. Now I am not saying that grinding noise is good or normal, but considering that those cars ARE making grinding noises and yet still drives says something.

The Focus MK3 has been out now for two years and is currently on its third model year. To date, there are NO MASS TRANNY FAILS. What is happening is that there are several documented lemons out there but considering the amount reported compared to the total amount of MK3 sold it is quite small. Not to discount the problems reported but if your DCT is running fine, why would you be inquiring about replacing the tranny? As has been said before the ones who are not happy with their cars are the loudest on the "internets". That does not mean that there is an impending wave of tranny failures coming.

Furthermore, there is a rumor about a new improved DCT on the newer model Focus but no one yet has been able to definitively PROVE this to be the case. Also, some months ago there was this HUGE thread that claimed that turning off traction control eliminated the shudder. That turned out to be bogus as well since we are still hearing folks complain. The point is, the complaints on the DCT has taken a life of its own so you should read them with a grain of salt.

What I WOULD like to see is whether there is a way to upgrade the 5 speed manual with the 6 speed available overseas. That would be nice!
I agree with most of what you say, but until you have your DCT fail, you don't know what its like to live with it. My clutches were replaced and you should have seen the train wreck they removed. Only 13k and gears worn and stripped, and various bits of unknown metal. That's a FAILURE.

I too get tired of complaints which I know are normal for a DCT, or worse, those who think it should act like a slush box trans. In fact, even now, I get a little grind depending on speed and gear with the new trans but I know its nothing to get excited about since its now smooth shifting without that shudder that would spill your coffee right out of the cup holder.

As to it being a little problem, well, no one knows for sure how big the problem is since Ford isn't going to let the cat out of the bag. If my local dealer has processed over 34 clutch replacements in the last 4 months, and extrapolating that figure to the U.S. region alone gives a clue as to the size of the problem. IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
It's safe to say that transmission technician is a secure position at Ford dealerships.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using FF Mobile 4
Old 09-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #15
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 6,480, Level 52
Points: 6,480, Level: 52 Points: 6,480, Level: 52 Points: 6,480, Level: 52
Level Up 65% Completed
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 19 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostinger View Post
It's safe to say that transmission technician is a secure position at Ford dealerships.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #16
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: VW GTI, Mazda-3 after 2012-Focus

Points 632, Level 12
Points: 632, Level: 12 Points: 632, Level: 12 Points: 632, Level: 12
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegachicago View Post
I agree with most of what you say, but until you have your DCT fail, you don't know what its like to live with it. My clutches were replaced and you should have seen the train wreck they removed. Only 13k and gears worn and stripped, and various bits of unknown metal. That's a FAILURE.

I too get tired of complaints which I know are normal for a DCT, or worse, those who think it should act like a slush box trans. In fact, even now, I get a little grind depending on speed and gear with the new trans but I know its nothing to get excited about since its now smooth shifting without that shudder that would spill your coffee right out of the cup holder.

As to it being a little problem, well, no one knows for sure how big the problem is since Ford isn't going to let the cat out of the bag. If my local dealer has processed over 34 clutch replacements in the last 4 months, and extrapolating that figure to the U.S. region alone gives a clue as to the size of the problem. IMO
I agree.

I would like to have every DCT defender forced to own a bad one, drive it every day with their friends and relatives asking whats that noise.

They take it on a long trip and have it shudder/shake and indecisively shift for 3 hours up and 3 hours back.

And then I'd like them to experience first hand the dealer memo telling them its a new style transmission and they are driving it wrong.

There is a world of difference between those that run right and what happens to you if its one of the small percent with these unrelenting problems.

You really and truly don't understand this until you have driven one, until then its just academic.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #17
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116275
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatchback 5sp

Points 224, Level 4
Points: 224, Level: 4 Points: 224, Level: 4 Points: 224, Level: 4
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 mtnbkr Good Standing Member
FWIW, a friend's wife has a VW with their version of the DCT transmission and he describes many of the same symptoms (lurching, indecisive shifting, slow shifting, etc) if he drives it like his other car with an automatic. If he's more aggressive and decisive with the throttle, it settles down. So, there is some truth to the idea that you need to drive it a certain way for it to perform better. I can imagine accelerated wear over a long time of driving it "incorrectly" as it doesn't know exactly when and how to shift. Given that, I think Ford should have only used these in vehicles intended to be driven more aggressively and left a traditional automatic as an option for "economy" cars.

I had a DCT-equipped Focus as a rental before buying mine (I bought the 5spd). It did seem to react better to more assertive throttle inputs, but I only had it for 24hrs. Since I wasn't aware of DCT issues at the time, I didn't really experiment. I just assumed its behavior was a programming tactic to get better mileage. I was still planning to get a DCT until learning about the potential reliability issues here.

Chris
Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #18
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

Points 1,148, Level 18
Points: 1,148, Level: 18 Points: 1,148, Level: 18 Points: 1,148, Level: 18
Level Up 48% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
I agree.

I would like to have every DCT defender forced to own a bad one, drive it every day with their friends and relatives asking whats that noise.

They take it on a long trip and have it shudder/shake and indecisively shift for 3 hours up and 3 hours back.

And then I'd like them to experience first hand the dealer memo telling them its a new style transmission and they are driving it wrong.

There is a world of difference between those that run right and what happens to you if its one of the small percent with these unrelenting problems.

You really and truly don't understand this until you have driven one, until then its just academic.
we don't need to own a bad one. just come to this forum once a day. that's punishment enough .
Old 09-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

Points 1,148, Level 18
Points: 1,148, Level: 18 Points: 1,148, Level: 18 Points: 1,148, Level: 18
Level Up 48% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
FWIW, a friend's wife has a VW with their version of the DCT transmission and he describes many of the same symptoms (lurching, indecisive shifting, slow shifting, etc) if he drives it like his other car with an automatic. If he's more aggressive and decisive with the throttle, it settles down

you get used to the way it drives and you adapt....or you don't. if you don't give it enough gas it lurches and stalls just like a car with a manual transmission.

my wife just got a new mazda CX5. the other day I drove it for the first time and i was amazed at how smooth it shifted -- in fact it drives very well unlike the 10-year-old CRV that it replaced which i thought drove like the original VW bug.

so i adapted to the focus but i did drive a rental hatch with DCT for three days prior to buying mine and i should add that i was smitten with the rental focus and at that point my previous five vehicles were Toyotas. i feel for the guys who have a bad DCTs. i know there are some bum units. but i think many of the issues complained about here ad nauseum are normal. my wife tells me there's plenty of complaining on the CX5 forum too.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #20
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: VW GTI, Mazda-3 after 2012-Focus

Points 632, Level 12
Points: 632, Level: 12 Points: 632, Level: 12 Points: 632, Level: 12
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHour View Post
FWIW, a friend's wife has a VW with their version of the DCT transmission and he describes many of the same symptoms (lurching, indecisive shifting, slow shifting, etc) if he drives it like his other car with an automatic. If he's more aggressive and decisive with the throttle, it settles down

you get used to the way it drives and you adapt....or you don't. if you don't give it enough gas it lurches and stalls just like a car with a manual transmission.

my wife just got a new mazda CX5. the other day I drove it for the first time and i was amazed at how smooth it shifted -- in fact it drives very well unlike the 10-year-old CRV that it replaced which i thought drove like the original VW bug.

so i adapted to the focus but i did drive a rental hatch with DCT for three days prior to buying mine and i should add that i was smitten with the rental focus and at that point my previous five vehicles were Toyotas. i feel for the guys who have a bad DCTs. i know there are some bum units. but i think many of the issues complained about here ad nauseum are normal. my wife tells me there's plenty of complaining on the CX5 forum too.
what is food for thought is the many posts you can read here where symptoms that are supposed to be normal, go away after parts are replaced.

even in my own case, all symptoms went away during the cold new england winter and then returned when it was hot enough for the AC to be on.

never mind all the memos and posts, just take a few moments to ask yourself:

how can a symptom which is supposed to be normal.....go away when parts are replaced or the weather changes ?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in