Cruise control in km/h vs. MPH and a Canadian factory setting error - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113602
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Sedan

Points 272, Level 5
Points: 272, Level: 5 Points: 272, Level: 5 Points: 272, Level: 5
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 babaei Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cruise control in km/h vs. MPH and a Canadian factory setting error

There is a setting in the trip computer (display->distance) that lets you set between l/100 km, litres per km, and miles/MPG. Not surprisingly, cars in Canada default to a fuel economy setting of l/100 km and an odometer in kilometres. If the setting is changed to miles/MPG, the odometer displays in miles instead, although the cruise control setting display is still in km/h.

When set to l/100 km, the cruise control is set in km/h and will go up and down in even 2 km/h increments (68 km/h, 70 km/h, 72 km/h), the behaviour you'd expect.

When set to miles/MPG, the cruise control is set in MPH (although still displayed in km/h). As a result, it will estimate the setting in km/h. Going up and down in 1 MPH increments, the display will go up by either 1 or 2 km/h (not a constant amount). This results in inaccurate settings and the inability to set an even 70 km/h, 80 km/h, and a few other common speeds. Terrible if you have OCD tendencies.

What I discovered is that, while Canadian Focuses come from the factory set for a kilometre odometer and l/100 km, the cruise control is set for MPH. The new car will therefore have weird cruise control settings (69 and 71 km/h, but not 70 km/h) until you set it to miles/MPG, and then switch it back. It behaved like this when I first got the car, and also after the dealership reset the computer to apply a TSB. After switching the distance setting to miles and then back, it had the "correct" behaviour.

I thought other Canadians who may have run into this minor issue might be interested in the underlying cause and the workaround.

Last edited by babaei; 06-19-2013 at 01:31 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88061
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
What model year do you have? I have a 2012 and none of what you said applies. The odometer can not be changed from kilometers and showing miles per gallon is a simple mathematical conversion. Other than the standard reverse speedometer, there are no speed indications in mph, period.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 06-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106038
What I Drive: 2014 Oxford White Focus ST3

Points 4,705, Level 43
Points: 4,705, Level: 43 Points: 4,705, Level: 43 Points: 4,705, Level: 43
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Kotlkn Good Standing Member
I have a 2013 SE as well and had none of these problems. Everything including the CC was km. Yes you can change the read out to MPG which also changes to miles to empty, etc but the odometer stay km.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107135
What I Drive: 2000 Mazda MX5

Points 1,220, Level 19
Points: 1,220, Level: 19 Points: 1,220, Level: 19 Points: 1,220, Level: 19
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 4 MetalMuffins Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
What he is saying is that the KPH shown when you have CC on, is simply a converted MPH that the car is actually using for the CC
In other words, if you set your CC to 98KPH, the car is actually set to 60MPH, and it converts to KPH for the display. That is why, if you are on the highway, and use your up/down on the wheel to change speed, it will appear to jump erratically in 1 or 2 kph increments. Try it some time if you've never noticed.
Gone (But not forgotten) - 2013 HB MTX, Tux Black w/ Black Pack - Steeda RSB, Snorkel DLT, K&N Drop in, E-Focus RMM, Redline Tuning Hood Struts, Custom Al. Skid-plate, 180 Stat, Tune by Tom @ Focus-Power
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current - 2000 Mazda MX5
Old 06-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 272, Level 5
Level Up 44% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMuffins View Post
What he is saying is that the KPH shown when you have CC on, is simply a converted MPH that the car is actually using for the CC
In other words, if you set your CC to 98KPH, the car is actually set to 60MPH, and it converts to KPH for the display. That is why, if you are on the highway, and use your up/down on the wheel to change speed, it will appear to jump erratically in 1 or 2 kph increments. Try it some time if you've never noticed.
Exactly, this was my main point. After switching to MPG and back to l/100 km, my car stopped jumping erratically and started going up/down by exactly 2 km/h. The jumping was driving me crazy, especially because I couldn't set exactly 70 km/h (it would only give me 69 and 71).

My car is a 2013 Job 2 (made in Feb 2013), so perhaps some of this stuff is different than older cars? I'm pretty sure my odometer changes to miles in MPG mode (I also have the 4-way display in the trip computer), but that was a minor side point.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106038
What I Drive: 2014 Oxford White Focus ST3

Points 4,705, Level 43
Points: 4,705, Level: 43 Points: 4,705, Level: 43 Points: 4,705, Level: 43
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Kotlkn Good Standing Member
Never really noticed, my last two cars (Dodge and Pontiac) also did this.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 272, Level 5
Level Up 44% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
I took some pictures to help better explain what I'm trying to say. The first is in l/100 km mode. Everything is in km, and you'll notice that I set the cruise control at 70 km/h. In this mode, the cruise control always goes up and down in 2 km/h increments - 66, 68, 70, 72, etc. Never an odd number.

This is what I get when I switch to "Miles/Gallon". The fuel economy is now in MPG and the odometer is in miles. As well, you'll notice that the cruise control is set to 71 km/h - in this mode, the settings change between 68, 69, 71, 72.

This is because, in this mode, the computer is using miles per hour internally to set the cruise. 42 mph = 67.6 km/h, 43 mph = 69.2 km/h, 44 mph = 70.8 km/h, etc. The display is just the computer rounding to the nearest km/h, so it goes up irregularly by 1 or 2 km/h.

My cruise control behaved like this when the car was brand new and after the computer was reset by the dealer, even though the display was in kilometres. Only after I switched to miles and then back did it behave the way it should (even 2 km/h cruise control settings).
Old 06-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88061
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
I see the issue. You have a different LCD screen (or perhaps just software) than a 2012 model. I'm in the unique position of having to import my Canadian car into the us later this year and have been told by Ford that the odometer cannot be changed to miles.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 06-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97919
What I Drive: 2014 Honda Accord Sport 6-sp manual

Points 1,581, Level 22
Points: 1,581, Level: 22 Points: 1,581, Level: 22 Points: 1,581, Level: 22
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 JayDeZ Good Standing Member
I want to see all the screens at one time like that too! Now my 2012 feels lame.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Points 272, Level 5
Level Up 44% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeZ View Post
I want to see all the screens at one time like that too! Now my 2012 feels lame.
They added it at the beginning of February, and my car just got it by a matter of days. It's pretty stupid that it took so long, since Europe had it since the beginning, and extremely lame that they won't upgrade existing cars. It's just a software update - that's not good enough anymore!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in