3rd visit to the dealer with multiple issues - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

Points 820, Level 15
Points: 820, Level: 15 Points: 820, Level: 15 Points: 820, Level: 15
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
3rd visit to the dealer with multiple issues

Following my first 2 visits to 2 different dealership, I am making an ultimate and last effort to have some of the quirks from my Focus solved.

The first visit I made at dealer #1, well, didnt had any choice 'cause the tranny died on me, so I had to got to the nearest dealer. Bad idea...he didnt care much as I was not a ''customer'' of his. I'll never go there anymore, saddly, it's the nearest from my home...too bad.

The second visit to dealer #2 was more constructive. I made an apointment with them to adress my issues and some were fixed and some were left in the ''investigation'' file. But the service quality was lighyears from dealer #1. kudo's to dealer #2

This time, I left my car at the dealership where I originally purchased my 2 focus's, i'ts been there since June 5th, let's call them, dealer #3. I sat with the service manager and chit chated with him for a good long 30 minutes or so. He was extremely receptive and I feel he really wants to solve my issues. So, here are a list of some of the issues I still have and what will be done to my car in the next days.

Transmission issues: It still behaves in a uncivilized way, especially when you ask power from it trying to merge on the highway. In ''S'' mode, the tranny sometimes produces a VERY lound metallic clunck upshifting. And at low cruising speed there is always this metallic cliquetingny noise comming from either the tranny or the engine. Those noise can be heard at low speed going from a dead stop to 1st and then from 1st to 2nd gear. Sometimes I can hear it from 2nd to 3rd, if it's not too windy. But it is always present at low speed, regardless of the tranny mode used (D or S) I have also adressed the ''lag'' I get from the time you press the gaz pedal to an actual tranny reaction. I also noticed that after taking a 90 degree corner, w/o stopping, there is a quite long delay from the time you press back on the gas and an actual reaction from the tranny. I also had some ''sputter'' events that sounded almost like a small backfires.
What the dealer did or will do: Dealer will apply FSA 12B37 as it was not yet applied to my car (I got the letter today). I really have high hopes regarding this as I read ALL of the comments on this forum regarding 12B37 and find it very positive. Hopefully, I too will notice a change in the car behavior and finally find some kind of peace and joy with my DCT. the ''real test'' will be next winter as I had problems with the the DCT and the traction control during the 2011/2012 winter period. Trying to launch from a red light or from a dead stop in the rush hour trafic proved to be a very touchy thing as the TC always kicked in until I ''found'' the very little sweet spot to hit the gas and have the Focus moved forward.

Interior trimming, loose roof liner: I have a sunroof, and the part of the roof liner that is located at the rear of the opening isnt glued/attached/tacked correclty. It vibrates all the time and makes a very audible unpleasant and cheap sound. When you press the roof liner upwards, you feel it stiking to somekind of adhesive but upon releasing it, it falls down again, becomming loose.
What the dealer did or will do: Contrairy to the dealer #2, dealer #3 as done this fix a few times and this issue sounded very trivial for them. Lets see how they fix this as I am going nuts with this flapping sound. The roads here in Quebec are in a very bad shape, so this vibrating roof liner thing is a constant PITA.

Issue with auto wiper acting or lacking of any reactions: My auto wiper are funny, they do what they want to do and I have to adapt to it. In auto mode starting the car with a windshield covered by rain, during actual rain, they dont budge an inch. I have to move the sensibility adjustment (not the actual arm) to get a reaction from them. In auto mode, when starting the car in the most glorious of sunshine possible, they do a complete cycle, wipe the windshield (for nothing) and go back in their hiding spot. Go figure...Also, the windshield inside mounted rain sensing module is loose and shakes like hell...maybe the whole thing needs to be replaced. I'll keep you posted
What the dealer did or will do: The service manager saw the wipers do their dry swipe routine but cannot have the technician duplicate the problem. So he kind of gave me an update that sounded like ''If we cant find anything wrong, Ford won't pay for a new module'' I was under the impression that having a shaky rain sensing unit and the dry swipe event would have been sufficent to warrant a module swap, but lets see how they fix this in the comming days. I also had the right wiper connector recall done while visiting dealer #2 a few weeks ago.

MFT and VERY large sound that appears to come from the audio system: I had the most weird experience a few day back when getting out of my car and locking it with my remote key. The car started to produce a very large and powerfull rumbling noise that freaked the hell out of me. Thanks to a fellow forum user who filmed a similar event, I was able to show the dealer what the issue was and avoiding looking like a total idiot trying to describe the issue. Seriously, go see what it does and try then to explain it to someone that doest know about it. You'll see what I mean :) (Oh, BTW, this happended to me before uprading to MFT V3.0) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKISw8RcUFw
I also have weird MFT behavior that range frome the rado or the SD card reader turning itself on full blast when starting the engien, MFT downloading old text message from my phone and climate controls changes w/o my intervention
What the dealer did or will do: The dealer knows about it but can't find a solution so far. He was very candid about it and told me MFT was a source of daily problems not only on Focus's but on other cars/truck's equiped with it. I did the V 3.0 update myself and everything went smoothly. I don't really like the new look of MFT and the loss of some esthetical options but the dealer told me that some of the lost feature in V3.0 will eventually come back. Apparently, we have been heard and Ford will produce an update sometime in the future brigning back the wallpaper option like it was before V3.0. Dealer #3 will do a master reset on MFT, in hopes of seeing those pesky MFT quirks go away.

Delay/lag trying to lock the car using key remote control: Getting out of my car and locking it always end up in a failed first attempt as I have to make 3 or 4 attemps to get a reation from the locking mecanism. Not a big deal, but it's not normal. All the other cars I had before locked as soon as you hit the button.
What the dealer did or will do: The dealer will do a reprogramming of the keys I have for the car. This is better than dealer #1 and #2 that didnt bring any solution or attemps to relove this issue and shrug it off as if I was the one incapable of operating a single button...yup.

Large clunk comming from front right wheel: I have this large clunk comming from the right front wheel went I either turn left or right and only when I have passengers with me. When I am alone in the car, it makes no clunk/sound at all.
What the dealer did or will do: Dealer will have the front right coil spring replaced as he told me they were already aware of some problems on some cars. He did not had the pieces in the shop this week, so they will replace it next week.

While my Focus is in for repairs they graciously lent me a fully loaded 2012 Fiesta SEL with leather and all, at no cost. While it is a very gentle an generous gesture from their part, this Fiesta is making miss my Focus, big time. I can't wait to get it back and see how well it was fixed. BTW, Fiesta were not designed with 6 footers and + in mind. Hell, I dont work for Le Cirque du Soleil :)

I joked with the service manager comparing my relation with my Focus as ''going out with a psychotic Playboy Playmate. What I mean is, the Focus is a sexy and beautifull car but I never know what kind of quirks ''she'' will throw at me. Every time I step out the door and walk to my car I go ''Damm, it's looking good'' but it's once you get moving with it that things get a bit weird and funky.

What I am trying to say here is that I am trying to love the car, but if I cant have those issues fixed or toned down, big time, I'll have to ditch this Playmate and settle for something less ''high maintenance'', if you pardon my parlance :)

Cheers !!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,601, Level 37
Points: 3,601, Level: 37 Points: 3,601, Level: 37 Points: 3,601, Level: 37
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm sorry to hear about those problems you're having.

About the transmission, I know you only got the letter today, but the fix has been floating around a while and I'm sure using the info from this forum you'd have been able to get that fix applied much sooner.

Needless to say, you're getting it done now, and for me it's been a night and day difference. You do have to realize that it is a DCT and regardless of who tells you it should act one way or the other, there are going to be some quirks that you can't ever rid yourself of. As a DCT, the transmission is actually a dual clutch manual transmission. If you've ever driven a manual you'll know, it shakes a little at low speed, the update certainly helped but it hasn't remedied the problem altogether and likely never will. I will say though, shifts are much smoother, the transmission thus far for me has been much more responsive (I used to experience some of that lag as well) and overall driving is much more pleasant.

MFT, well, you know how we all are with that whole ordeal.

The key fob issue does have a TSB, can't remember the number maybe someone can chime in, but it's fixed the issue for me, first time every time since I got the fix applied when getting out of my car.

The auto wipers I agree with and it was something I brought the car in for a long time ago, they said it was normal and they weren't going to do a thing about it. I don't know if this was something that was left out of the notes in a TSB that reprograms the PCM like the transmission update, but lately my wipers seem to be reacting much better to rain, the occasional spot where they could wipe and don't but overall they've been much better than they were before, and I couldn't tell you why.

Never had clunking luckily like a lot of you on here but good luck with that as well OP, I hope they can rectify their issues and help you out, as the Focus is a great car and I'd hate to see another one go due to poor service from a dealership and Ford.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87867
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport MT

Points 108, Level 2
Points: 108, Level: 2 Points: 108, Level: 2 Points: 108, Level: 2
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 WAZUP Good Standing Member
Headliner

Please let us know what dealer does with headliner. Mine has the same issue. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95534
What I Drive: Was 2012 Focus. Now 2013 Impreza.

FF Reputation: 3 Rememo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
12B37 should take care of your tranny issues. IMHO it's the best software update to date.

I also have he headliner issue. It's a very persistent buzzing type rattle, and when I press the headliner to stop it, I get the sticky glue sound. No time to take it in right now.

I haven't had the MFT "BOOMING" issue yet.... yet.

I also have the clunk, but I believe Ford is replacing bad parts with more bad parts right now, so I'm going to wait until I know the parts have been updated.

Good luck.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
I find the auto wipers to be mediocre at best, but sometimes at night they barely work. I spend more time trying to get those just right than I would if I have the standard wipers. Another topic here showed that disconnecting the sensor causes the wipers to work in normal intermittent mode... Not that it's any excuse, having paid for the auto function, they work as so.

I'm not entirely sure MFT can be fixed by the dealers these days... All they've been able to do for mine was keep replacing the APIM and resetting the software. Still end up with glitches and issues the same or next day. So good luck with getting those resolved!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Points 820, Level 15
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Ok, the dealer called me and my car is ready. I going to pick it up tonite, so I'll keep you guys posted on the fixes they applied to my car. I'm keeping my finger crossed.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,565, Level 22
Points: 1,565, Level: 22 Points: 1,565, Level: 22 Points: 1,565, Level: 22
Level Up 65% Completed
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaru View Post
Ok, the dealer called me and my car is ready. I going to pick it up tonite, so I'll keep you guys posted on the fixes they applied to my car. I'm keeping my finger crossed.
Best of luck! Here's hoping.....
Old 06-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 820, Level 15
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
thanks a bunch mate !!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Points 820, Level 15
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Ok, so got my car back tonite from Dealer # 3, where I have originally purchased the car in nov '11.

I am reporting the following:

Transmission issues: I am happy to share with you this; I am now driving a 160 horse power car. Not that I was expecting stellar power performance from my Focus (It's not a Mustang after all) I had the feeling I was driving a less powerfull car and didnt appreciate how the power was distributed to the tranny. Leaving the Dealer tonite, I had to merge on the higway going 50 KPH to merge with moving trafic going 110-120 KPH and my God, I had a kickdown !!! My wife and I went crazy for a while and I almost had tears in my eyes :)
What the dealer did : Dealer applied FSA 12B37, period...So far, I like it a lot more than before. Is it some kind of placebo effect? I dunno, but it feels more lively and peppy. I like it. Pre 12B37, It felt like driving a cheap unpowerfull low budget entry level car. Some more testing will need to be done in 2 other conditions: Winter driving and how it accelerates comming out of a 90 degree turn. I'll get back to ya'll with the conclusion of my testing. I will monitor the fuel situation in the following days as well.

That's a definite, solid fix. Score: 1 / 1

Interior trimming, loose roof liner: I have a sunroof, and the part of the roof liner that is located at the rear of the opening isnt glued/attached/tacked correclty. It vibrates all the time and makes a very audible unpleasant and cheap sound. When you press the roof liner upwards, you feel it stiking to somekind of adhesive but upon releasing it, it falls down again, becomming loose.
What the dealer did : Dealer #3 glued (I dont know how as I did not get the chance to speak with the service manager tonite) the roof liner near the moonroof opening. It now reside much higher in place and does not vibrate anymore. I hope it stays there :)

That's a fix also, so far...Score : 2 / 2...

Issue with auto wiper acting or lacking of any reactions: My auto wiper are funny, they do what they want to do and I have to adapt to it. In auto mode starting the car with a windshield covered by rain, during actual rain, they dont budge an inch. I have to move the sensibility adjustment (not the actual arm) to get a reaction from them. In auto mode, when starting the car in the most glorious of sunshine possible, they do a complete cycle, wipe the windshield (for nothing) and go back in their hiding spot. Go figure...Also, the windshield inside mounted rain sensing module is loose and shakes like hell...maybe the whole thing needs to be replaced. I'll keep you posted
What the dealer did: Dealer #3 change the rain sensing module. Starting the car does not produce the dry swipe routine anymore. I have not had the chance to test the rain sensing adjustment as it has not rained tonite.
Part changed: Rain sensor unit: CV6Z - 17D547 - A

That's a fix also, Score: 3 / 3, Now lets see some rain to test it further.

MFT and VERY large sound that appears to come from the audio system: I had the most weird experience a few day back when getting out of my car and locking it with my remote key. The car started to produce a very large and powerfull rumbling noise that freaked the hell out of me. Thanks to a fellow forum user who filmed a similar event, I was able to show the dealer what the issue was and avoiding looking like a total idiot trying to describe the issue. Seriously, go see what it does and try then to explain it to someone that doest know about it. You'll see what I mean :) (Oh, BTW, this happended to me before uprading to MFT V3.0) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKISw8RcUFw
I also have weird MFT behavior that range frome the rado or the SD card reader turning itself on full blast when starting the engien, MFT downloading old text message from my phone and climate controls changes w/o my intervention
What the dealer did : Dealer #3 told me they did a master reset on MFT. I don't think they did as I found my phone still paired with MFT and all of my wallpaper or personal settings were still there.

That's a miss, reset wasn't done ...Score : 3/4

Delay/lag trying to lock the car using key remote control: Getting out of my car and locking it always end up in a failed first attempt as I have to make 3 or 4 attemps to get a reation from the locking mecanism. Not a big deal, but it's not normal. All the other cars I had before locked as soon as you hit the button.
What the dealer did or will do: The dealer told me he would reprogrammed my keys. Since he only had one (the spare being at home) he did not reprogrammed them. He also told me he could not reproduce the problems I have with the locking feature.

Another miss, as I get the lock faillure on a daily basis. Score: 3/5

Large clunk comming from front right wheel: I have this large clunk comming from the right front wheel went I either turn left or right and only when I have passengers with me. When I am alone in the car, it makes no clunk/sound at all.
What the dealer did Dealer did replaced the right front coil spring as per TSB 11-11-2. Since the clunking sound only was heard when I had passagers in the car, I will need to do some additionnal testing. Comming from the dealer tonite with my wife sitting in the front passager seat, the noise was absent. Coincidence or real fix? Only time will tell. Here are the part that were changed:
BV6Z-5310-B (Spring Front)
AD-1094 (Bearing Front)
W715490-S442 (Bolt)
W700212-S442 (Nut - Hex)

That's a fix...Score : 4/6 Keeping my finger crossed.

So there ya go. 4 out 6 issues were fixed. The other 2 (MFT reset and Key reprogramming) will have to be done by either myself or at a future visit. Oh, and lets not forget, Dealer #3 also did an oil change and service maintenance #1 at no cost. Many thanks to them, it's greatly appreciated. They also provided me with a loner for more than a week. Bravo

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in