Why I now own a new 2011 Hyundai Elantra instead of a 2012 Focus... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 31584
What I Drive: 04 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Linx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Why I now own a new 2011 Hyundai Elantra instead of a 2012 Focus...

Let me start by saying that this is a RANT thread and if you don't want to hear it, stop reading NOW.

I have owned 3 Ford Focus' a 2000 Kona ZX3, a 2001 ZX3, and a 2004 SVT. My Fiance bought her 2004 Escape new and regretfully traded it in on a 2007 Nissan Frontier last fall. Needless to say we were excited with the new 2012 Focus and with gas at $4 a gallon we realized the 15-16 MPG Frontier needed to go.

We had shopped around for used cars but she really wanted to look at new compacts (this was going to be for her). We looked at the Mazda3, 2011 Elantra, the Civic, and the 2012 Focus. She really liked the Elantra and all that it offered for a lesser price, but we have owned many Fords and we really liked the hatchback cargo space.

We started price shopping at our local Ford dealer (were she bought her Escape years ago). They dicked us around on both the trade in price and the Focus price. We ended up going to another dealer in a small town about 25 minutes away. They were AWESOME! Gave us the fair price we wanted on the trade in and a price I could live with on the new Focus (about $350 over invoice but due to the trade in value and ease of the sale we felt it was fair).

Our dealer had located two of the exact model we were looking at and said they should be able to get it traded with in a week. So I thought we were done and we would only have a short wait. I WAS WRONG

After waiting almost two weeks with only minimal information were were told that they were not able to trade for either car and that we would have to order the car and wait another 6-10 weeks. They also said that they would not be able to honor the trade price then because of the time difference and mileage we would put on. (I was also concerned about the incentives expiring)

So I decided to just contact the dealers directly that had the Focus we wanted on their lots. The first dealer was 4 hours away but we had friends in the area so we decided to talk to them first. I sent him a copy of the purchase contract we had made with the first dealer and said "Match it and we will be there in 4 hours!" They would not. Understandably the trade in complicated matters so I sent 38 high quality photos along with detailed description of the 1 lone door ding. I also sent a copy of the NADA trade in value, Auto-trader trade in offer, and even a copy of recent Manheim auction results with similar trucks. We were not asking for top dollar trade value, in fact we wanted lower than NADA or recent auction closings. I understood that we would not be able to close a deal over the phone before they had seen/driven the truck, but I asked then to make a deal pending the trade evaluation so that as long as the truck was as I said it was, they would be willing to make a deal. I did not want to drive across the state just to waste my time/gas. They proceeded to tell me that based on the pictures I sent the "door ding" would cost $400 to fix and that silver was a very difficult paint color to blend. So the deal they wanted would have cost me $500-$600 more then my first deal, plus I would have to drive almost 8 hours round trip with me footing the gas bill. Not worth it and now I could see why my first dealer could not get them to trade. Keep that in mind, my local dealer had no problem what-so-ever with the deal or trade that we had worked out. He just couldn't get the car.

On to car 2. I called the dealer and communicated in pretty much the same way. Up front and as honest and detailed as I could be. He said they could not quote the trade in without seeing it but $16,000-$17,000 was the range they were thinking for our trade. (We wanted $17,000 which is what the first dealer gave us.) He said that if we made the 2 hour trip he was sure we could work something out. On good faith I believed him. We jumped in the truck and drove two hours to make it there last night. When we arrived the salesman I spoke to was friendly and remarked that the truck was in excellent shape just as I had described (and our photos depicted). We then sat down with him and I gave him the purchase contract from the first dealer and said "Match it". He then went into his managers office and did not return for 25 minutes! (it wasn't even busy) When he returned he gave us a # that was $1000 higher then the first dealer/purchase contract!!! As I stood with my jaw on the ground and blood boiling I asked him why they were so far off. He said it was because THEY have the car that everyone wants and have no reason to sell it below MSRP.

I wasn't even able to speak at this point for fear of of ripping off his head and going to jail. My fiance could tell and kindly said, "Well thank you for making our decision easy, we are headed to the Hyundai dealer." They still had our keys so he went to the mangers office to get them and took 10 minutes to come back with them. He then said that we would not be able to get a better trade offer because Nissan just yesterday started a $3000 rebate on new Frontiers. This was his attempt at a follow up offer?!? To insult me and make me wait to be insulted again!

After leaving the Ford dealership I called the salesman I had talked to weeks earlier when we test drove an Elantra. I asked him if they had one in stock and if they were willing to work out a deal with them closing in minutes. He said they would wait and he was sure we would be able to work out a deal.

He was right! We ended up getting MORE for our trade in ($17200) and we got more options for less money. Plus a better warranty and most importantly NO GAMES! We didn't get out of the dealership until and hour and half after they closed (10:30 PM) yet they were still all very friendly.

We would have happy with the Focus as well so I am not trying to say one car is better then the other. Please don't take this as a Ford/Focus bashing thread. This is more of a "dealership" bashing thread. We would have loved to have "swapped our ride" for a new Focus. However crappy dealers who are unwilling to work with customers or even work other DEALERS for that matter are what pushed us away from Ford.

END RANT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 47551
What I Drive: '07 ZX3,many,many musclecars

Points 5,365, Level 47
Points: 5,365, Level: 47 Points: 5,365, Level: 47 Points: 5,365, Level: 47
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 5 musclecarjohn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Understand your frustration but keep in mind that dealers are not obligated to trade with other dealers in fact,I have some on my ignore list that I just absolutely cannot/will not trade with for whatever reason...your beef shouldn't be with the Ford dealers,sometimes you run into hot merchandise located at dealers you cannot deal with...stuff happens.

In fact,Ford dealers are the worst to trade with,most imports are far easier because the cars are usually only in a few different trim levels making them more apples-to apples in terms of trading.

I'm sure your original dealer would have loved to make your deal,he just couldn't get the car.

On a side note,I appreciate you trying to be loyal to Ford,that's not a trait you see too much anymore.

Check me out at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
http://www.facebook.com/ingenuebuickfunnycar
Old 05-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85167
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Spartan12 Good Standing Member
To be honest, I'm surprised you got that much for a Frontier in this market. Looks like the Hyundai dealer really wanted the sale and I can imagine that picking up your Frontier ate all their profit. So from a business standpoint, I can see why the Ford dealer didn't wanna bite since their transaction price on the Focus would have taken a hit, and they'd still have to get rid of your truck in a crap used car market.

To each his own, hope you're happy with your Elantra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,907, Level 97
Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Sounds more like just running into bad dealers. Its unfortunate because it happens a lot and then a company looses a sale because of a bad experience. You also need to remeber that these foci are just arriving, numbers are limited and many dealers dont wanna give up their stock. They also know that you not buying wont effect them much because someone will come and snatch up the focus in no time. The elantra on the other hand is plentiful at this time on dealer lots and they will do more to move them out. Wait six months or even three and Im sure Ford dealers will start doing the same thing once they are loaded with inventory and have them coming in and out on a schedualed basis. Right now, most got what they got and dont know when theyll get more in that are not already spoken for.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61768
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SE-5spd Silver

FF Reputation: 0 cbr1100xx Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Altoona must be remote. I've got literally 5 Ford Dealers all within an hours drive. Enjoy the Elantra. Honestly all the cars in this class are pretty much the same anyway more or less...unless you're obsessed with options which I'm not.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84944
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ford Focus Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 nightridermz3 Good Standing Member
2012 Focus > 2011 Elantra > anything honda :)
Old 05-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 31584
What I Drive: 04 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Linx Good Standing Member
The trade value was "fair" at $17000. Recent dealer auctions were ($17200-$17800) for similar options and mileage. The truck was in mint shape crew cab, 4x4, loaded, low mileage.

My issue was that I had such an easy transaction with the first dealer who was very fair and upfront (he basically wanted to make $1000 on the Focus with hold back). If I had not had such a easy time getting the price I wanted right away, we probably would have just went with the Elantra right away. My frustration really began when other dealers would not trade even though my dealer said he offered a car with a higher MSRP in return. Then for those 2 dealers to be more than $500-$1000 more then the first deal.

The topping of the poo cake was the smooth talking salesman that reassured me multiple times that if I just took the 2 hour drive he was sure we "could work something out".

Altoona/Eau Claire has 1 Ford dealer and several very small towns around it with zero inventory. (I wanted a manual hatch with sport package- was flexible on color and other options)

The funny thing is that I called my original dealer today (who tried like hell to get the deal to work) to break the news and thank him for trying. He informed me that the dealer by Minneapolis had actually received the car I wanted on trade from a dealer in Rochester that originally had the car and traded it to them for a different car. So the car had already been in inventory between those two dealers for awhile and had some miles on it. The Minneapolis dealer had several models on his lot so I assume he was a volume dealer. I guess none of it matters now. My fiance loves the Elantra and I still have a hatch for the dog and cargo room. Plus she got an automatic with bluetooth, and a better warranty all for less $.

Just needed to vent my frustration...
Old 05-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
Sorry for your horrible ordeal, and I wish you well with the new Elantra!!
It is really too bad that the first dealer did not have access to the car, since none of the other dealers would share! Greedy people just cost themselves business!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 57080
What I Drive: 09 f-150 5.4

Points 3,172, Level 34
Points: 3,172, Level: 34 Points: 3,172, Level: 34 Points: 3,172, Level: 34
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 33 Master-Baits Great Standing Member
Hey who can blame you? You were being a smart consumer and bought a great product. It stinks that the Ford dealer wasn't as customer oriented but sometimes things happen for a reason.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 47551
What I Drive: '07 ZX3,many,many musclecars

Points 5,365, Level 47
Points: 5,365, Level: 47 Points: 5,365, Level: 47 Points: 5,365, Level: 47
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 5 musclecarjohn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linx View Post
My frustration really began when other dealers would not trade even though my dealer said he offered a car with a higher MSRP in return...

The topping of the poo cake was the smooth talking salesman that reassured me multiple times that if I just took the 2 hour drive he was sure we "could work something out".
It really doesn't matter what one dealer was offering the other,the point is one dealer had the car and knew the other one wanted it...that gives him an upper hand...again,it's his merchandise,he's not forced to trade it if he doesn't want to...for whatever reason.

And as much as you may hate it,it's the salesmans job to get you into the dealership and then let the house (or closer) close the deal.
Often times,you can switch the customer to a car in stock but you can't sell what you have if you don't get the customer to come in...so don't blame the salesperson,they're just doing what they were trained to do...you guys don't seem to understand that.

Check me out at
:
http://www.facebook.com/ingenuebuickfunnycar

Last edited by warneej; 05-05-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in