Edmunds 2012 Focus First Drive - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43845
Points 2,088, Level 27
Points: 2,088, Level: 27 Points: 2,088, Level: 27 Points: 2,088, Level: 27
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 xaeniac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Edmunds 2012 Focus First Drive

Quote:
2012 Ford Focus Titanium First Drive

For many, the road to the 2012 Ford Focus is paved with seven years of envy, disbelief, confusion — even anger. It began in late 2004 when an all-new second-generation Ford Focus was revealed to the rest of the world at the Paris Motor Show. Also revealed that day was the sad fact that we wouldn't be seeing it here in the United States.

Longer and wider, Europe's new Focus had attitude, more interior space and a higher level of trim. In the intervening years it came in hopped-up versions called ST, RS and RS500, and went rallying in the WRC. North Americans could only read about all this and develop bad attitudes on message boards.

Meanwhile, the U.S. and Canada witnessed the demise of Focus hatchbacks and SVT sport models amid a steady descent into fleet sales optimization. The final insult came in 2008, when the "new" reskinned North American Focus turned out to be a warmed-over first-gen car that looked like a Daewoo instead of the spiffy European Focus we'd all been hoping for.

This ends now. Our new 2012 Ford Focus is the same as the world's new Ford Focus. All-new third-generation Ford Foci for everyone.

Longer, Lower, Wider
Europe is used to the idea of a slightly larger Focus because their second-gen car was sized similarly to this new machine. From our perspective, however, the 2012 Focus seems like a whole new animal.

Gone is the somewhat tall and skinny form we're used to, replaced instead with more aggressive proportions and a ready stance. The new Focus sedan has ballooned a full 4 inches wider and been stretched 3.5 inches longer (to 71.8 and 178.5 inches, respectively) while at the same time squishing 0.8 inch lower than the outgoing equivalent. The same is true of the resurrected hatchback we're sampling today, though its 171.6-inch length is 3.1 inches longer than its forgotten counterpart. And all of them ride on a 104.3-inch wheelbase, 1.4 inches more generous than before.

This of course opens up gobs more interior space, especially in front, where maximum legroom and shoulder room swell by 2 inches or so. On paper, rear legroom takes a bit of a hit, but that's mainly because the front seat can slide farther aft. Our tallest tester can sit behind himself, but a taxi this ain't.

...And Nicer, Mostly
The cockpit is, well, a real working cockpit now, with well-shaped seats and a readily adjustable driving position. The steering wheel is now telescopic, presenting a thick, sculpted rim for the driver to grasp and flail. There's a clear view of a full complement of gauges through its four properly placed spokes. A handsome center stack hovers nearby within easy reach.

But that's our first problem, as the MyFord Touch system that's standard on our top-level Titanium (and optional further down) proves to have slow responses, a steep learning curve and, ultimately, no real advantage over well-placed buttons and knobs. And, we're sorry, but voice control isn't a cure-all for a finicky design. The standard audio layout found on lower grades is only slightly better, as it's essentially a repeat of the overly busy flying-vee arrangement that is the single worst aspect of the Ford Fiesta.

That said, it's all made to a much higher quality standard than we're used to in a Focus. And there are options like never before. A navigation system is now a possibility. So are keyless start with passive entry, dual-zone climate control and rain-sensing wipers. You can even opt for an automated parallel parking assist system.

Of course, more size and more stuff equals more weight, so it's no surprise that the average Focus has gained about 300 pounds.

Direct Injection Intervention
More power is the usual remedy for that, and the newly minted base 2.0-liter engine delivers. Direct fuel injection, a stout 12.0:1 compression ratio and independently variable intake and exhaust cam timing help churn out 160 horsepower and 146 pound-feet of torque, 20 more ponies and 10 lb-ft more than last year's retired Duratec 2.0-liter engine.

Last year's four-speed autobox is history, replaced instead with Ford's Powershift six-speed automatic. Reality is more impressive than marketing here, because this is a dual-clutch automated manual that can be had with "Select Shift" manual shifting on the Titanium, SEL and SE Sport package.

This more sophisticated powertrain is also more efficient at the pump. EPA fuel consumption figures are not final, but Ford suggests 28 city and 38 highway mpg as ballpark figures — some 3-4 mpg better than last year. An SFE package available on the SE sedan should produce 40 mpg on the highway through the use of low-rolling-resistance tires and other tweaks.

There's also a five-speed manual, but with just the five cogs and a flaccid clutch it's not really optimized for either performance or fuel economy. It's more of a value proposition on the low end of the price scale, which explains why it's confined to S and SE models.

Full Steam Ahead Already
Finally under way, the new 2012 Ford Focus engine revs happily and feels strong. It's no speed demon — Ford has a 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine that makes 247 hp waiting in the wings for that — but it doesn't feel weak-kneed, either. The Powershift transmission shifts smartly in "D" on real roads, but an autocross set up for our amusement is another matter.

Manual shifting is accessed through "S," the dedicated Select Shift mode, but the computer can't keep its hands to itself. Breathe off the throttle to transfer weight for a corner...and you might get an upshift. Get close to the engine's redline and you get an upshift. Ford engineers say they did it this way to save the motor and ultimately the warranty claims from rev-limiter-crazed drivers, and they defend it simply by saying, "That's the way BMW does it," like that makes it right. Still sucks from where we sit.

We'd like to say there are paddle shifters on the steering column for manual mode, but the steering spokes are already crowded with a spasm of other buttons. Instead there's a +/- rocker switch on the thumb side of the console shift lever, an awkward placement that favors an odd skyhook grasp from above. Not good. And to pile it on, they made the gear readout on the IP miniscule.

Touch That Dial
The steering, on the other hand, is right on. It's Ford's EPAS electric power steering, but that's OK because they nailed the calibration. Response is quick, owing to a 14.7-to-1 steering ratio that produces just 2.6 turns lock-to-lock, and there's a goodly amount of effort buildup as the 225/50R17 Continental all-season rubber does its job.

Familiar MacPherson struts prop up the front end and Ford's so-called Control Blade multilink setup handles the rear. It's a proven combination that earned a lot of praise for the original Focus before they softened things up and dumbed the calibration down over time. Here, with Ford of Europe doing the suspension tuning, there's an admirable level of control and poise, and little harshness.

A wider body allows a healthy increase in track width, 2.6 inches in front and 2.3 inches out back. Also, the standard stability control contains a brake-based torque-vectoring algorithm, put there to quell understeer on corner exit by dragging the inside front brake to kill wheelspin and shunt extra drive torque to the loaded outside tire.

It works. Even on all-season rubber, our Titanium hatch blasts through San Diego County's famous back roads, staying steady on our preferred line and knifing accurately through tight corners with nary a chirp. The brakes, too, deserve a nod in the most relentless stretch of twisties, where their progressive response and precise release characteristics make it easy to trail-brake and control the car's pitch attitude when rushing corners.

It should be said that our 2012 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback benefits from a sportier suspension tune than that of lower-grade Foci, but an SE Sport package we drove earlier does nearly as well. An optional Handling package ($595) on the Titanium takes things up yet another notch with asymmetrical 18-inch Michelin Pilot Sport PS3 summer tires and dampers specially tuned to take full advantage. This setup shaves 2 further seconds from our best autocross time in a standard 17-inch-shod Titanium.

Lots of Range
If you're thinking that prices must have shot up, the answer is yes...and no. A base 2012 Focus S sedan costs $16,270 — the same as last year's base car. Our Titanium hatch starts at $22,765, far more than any Focus before it but miles ahead in fit, finish and equipment. SE and SEL trims are evenly distributed between these endpoints, with hatchback variants costing about $800 more than sedans.

We remember 2007, when a Ford marketing insider told us that Americans weren't prepared to spend money on small cars equipped like the Euro Focus. (That conclusion was based on focus groups, obviously.) But that was before $4 gasoline, Cash for Clunkers, the death of Hummer and a couple of major bailouts we could mention.

Circumstances are different now. The case for a more substantial 2012 Ford Focus with more polish, more appeal and more stuff makes sense as folks who can afford more are aiming to spend less. That's great news for North American Focus fans, even if they did have to suffer through a lost generation to get here. Perhaps now they'll dive into those message boards and be a little less nasty. Naaah. Where's the fun in that?

Edmunds attended a manufacturer-sponsored event, to which selected members of the press were invited, to facilitate this report.

http://www.insideline.com/ford/focus...rst-drive.html

Sounds like the MyFordTouch is a little flaky, but other than that a very solid vehicle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,907, Level 97
Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Good honest review...I'm surprised I actually like the reminds review, usually they annoying. MyFord touch, no surprises, but not that big of a deal, nothing some software upgrades won't be able to fix.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 37,496, Level 100
Points: 37,496, Level: 100 Points: 37,496, Level: 100 Points: 37,496, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 274 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Longer and wider, Europe's new Focus had attitude, more interior space and a higher level of trim. In the intervening years it came in hopped-up versions called ST, RS and RS500, and went rallying in the WRC. North Americans could only read about all this and develop bad attitudes on message boards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,907, Level 97
Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post

Posted via FF Mobile Haha I know I know.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Nope, Chuck Testa

Fan#: 22758
What I Drive: '14 TB ST3, '04 Silver SVT

Points 18,950, Level 87
Points: 18,950, Level: 87 Points: 18,950, Level: 87 Points: 18,950, Level: 87
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 17 BLRich1 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Good write up!
'04 CD Silver SVT, #877, 1 of 135 May 2011 ROTM, FF11: Best Display, Best of Show; AFN12: Best SVT, Best Audio, Finest Five, Carlisle Nifty Fifty
Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
( o Y o )

Fan#: 32177
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
im test driving one for sure. and then making a decision on whether i can live with electronic throttle and steering. Im alrdy not a fan of electronic throttle on my brothers mazda3 manual (its on 04, so very early on in useage and ecm tuining/delivery)

Can't wait for the ST though. You guys see/hear about the new focus based cuv, the vertrek? same chasis and it will have a 4wd option......!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Swaps will be made hella easy, or they are preparing for a 4wd rs....maybe lol

Old 01-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62607
What I Drive: 2012 Mustang 5.0 prem

Points 579, Level 11
Points: 579, Level: 11 Points: 579, Level: 11 Points: 579, Level: 11
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 FLGSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
looks like a bmw x3
Old 01-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
( o Y o )

Fan#: 32177
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
still in concept phase.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGSVT View Post
looks like a bmw x3

You mean, Looks better than a BMW X3?
Old 01-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

Points 5,568, Level 48
Points: 5,568, Level: 48 Points: 5,568, Level: 48 Points: 5,568, Level: 48
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Looks awesome! I like the Vertrek concept. However one trend that bothers me is how every manufacturer uses a stupid triangular window behind the C-pillar. Why can't they either...

A) Get rid of the useless tiny window in the back, since the thickness of the C-pillar already kills whatever visibility gains you get from it...

Or B) square off the bottom of that back window so that it cleanly flows with the car's roofline and beltline, and actually offer useable visibility. *gasp*

I'm not buying the roof strength regulations argument either. If they can clean up the A-pillar like that, they should be able to do the same thing with the C-pillar/D-pillar. And I don't mean to single out this car specifically. It's just something that has been progressively getting on my nerves with a lot of newer cars recently.

I guess that's why I like the 2012 Focus sedan more too. I normally hate sedans, but the lines on that car flow more smoothly and sensibly than the hatchback version. At least in my opinion.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in