2012 Ford Focus and other Ford vehicles become training tools for first responders - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 41389
Points 47,632, Level 100
Points: 47,632, Level: 100 Points: 47,632, Level: 100 Points: 47,632, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 3 FFTeam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Ford Focus and other Ford vehicles become training tools for first responders

Ford Motor Company is using one new Ford Focus and a dozen other modern vehicles to help train first responders. The new 2012 Focus, which contains high-strength materials and advanced safety features and airbags, is the latest teaching tool to educate members of the Dearborn Fire Department on how best to use their new extrication equipment in rescue situations.

“Ford’s goal is to design safe vehicles. But we also are committed to helping educate first responders who work to save the lives of occupants involved in severe crashes,” said Todd Fronckowiak, Ford’s manager of Government Investigations and Design Analysis Engineering. “For decades, Ford has supplied vehicles to fire departments so they can train on the latest vehicle technologies and materials with their increasingly advanced extrication tools.”

Since 1990, Ford has provided more than 2,000 vehicles to give first responders the opportunity to train on modern vehicles. Ford is also supporting PennWell Publishing, publisher of Fire Engineering Magazine, which is developing an extrication training video series that will be available to fire professionals nationwide in 2011.

In 2009, Ford’s training efforts included helping to stage the first-known emergency responder training event specifically focused on hybrid vehicles. Following the introduction of its first hybrid model, the 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV, Ford began publishing emergency responder hybrid vehicle guides with instructions on how to quickly and safely disable the vehicle’s electrical and battery systems before attempting to rescue occupants.

“It’s important that our personnel have real-world experience using extraction methods on vehicles made with modern materials so they are best prepared to save lives at the scene of an accident,” said Richard Miller, chief of the Dearborn Fire Department. “Knowing their commitment to first responder training, we reached out to Ford and asked them to supply cars for this exercise so that Dearborn firefighters could train and test our new equipment on a broad range of vehicles.”

More than 100 Dearborn firefighters received training over the past three days with new extrication equipment, commonly known as “the jaws of life,” that the Dearborn Fire Department obtained through the Assistance for Firefighters Grant Program. With roughly twice the cutting strength as the department’s old equipment, the new tools are more effective cutting through higher-strength steel, such as the boron steel used in the 2012 Ford Focus and other models.

Boron steel is one of the strongest weldable materials, allowing engineers to design parts that are lighter and stronger than ordinary steel, which means they help protect vehicle occupants while enabling fuel economy improvements. The Dearborn Fire Department training included a demonstration today for city officials, including Dearborn Mayor John O’Reilly Jr.

Check Out FocusRSClub.com
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,907, Level 97
Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile As a volunteer firefighter....this is freaking awesome. Ford, any chance you can come down to my town? This is great because most of the time you dont get the chance to train on modern vehicals. The most you can secure are much older ones. Ive done a few extrications, but on nothing with the steels they used today, although our hurst tools are rated for modern high strength steels. Also non of the cars have side airbags or curtains etc and thats a big deal as anyone of them can go off when working on a vehical. Im glad I have such knowledge of cars and different makes and models, as Im sure itll help me in the field. Ford is doing a great thing here, I wish theyd travel to more citys. Heres alittle tid bit not everyone knows, yes disconnecting the battery is important, but one of the problems is that the airbags still have a charge to them and can still go off a half hour to an hour after you disconnected the battery. Each airbag has a mechanism that is located under the panels, for side airbags they are usually under one of the pillars.

Gotta love Ford though.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

Points 3,709, Level 38
Points: 3,709, Level: 38 Points: 3,709, Level: 38 Points: 3,709, Level: 38
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
Posted via FF Mobile As a volunteer firefighter....this is freaking awesome. Ford, any chance you can come down to my town? This is great because most of the time you dont get the chance to train on modern vehicals. The most you can secure are much older ones. Ive done a few extrications, but on nothing with the steels they used today, although our hurst tools are rated for modern high strength steels. Also non of the cars have side airbags or curtains etc and thats a big deal as anyone of them can go off when working on a vehical. Im glad I have such knowledge of cars and different makes and models, as Im sure itll help me in the field. Ford is doing a great thing here, I wish theyd travel to more citys. Heres alittle tid bit not everyone knows, yes disconnecting the battery is important, but one of the problems is that the airbags still have a charge to them and can still go off a half hour to an hour after you disconnected the battery. Each airbag has a mechanism that is located under the panels, for side airbags they are usually under one of the pillars.

Gotta love Ford though.
is air bags deploying after an accident a major issue? you can cut airbags, hit them with hammers, drop them, short the wires, cut the wires, and pretty much ignore them with out deployment. i even have a hard time detonating airbags and pretensioners after replacement. airbags are usually safe, what is the danger? just curious.
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,907, Level 97
Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex62390 View Post
is air bags deploying after an accident a major issue? you can cut airbags, hit them with hammers, drop them, short the wires, cut the wires, and pretty much ignore them with out deployment. i even have a hard time detonating airbags and pretensioners after replacement. airbags are usually safe, what is the danger? just curious.

Posted via FF Mobile You never know whats going to happen. When extricating the car you are putting extreme forces on the body, we are prying doors, bending and cutting the crap out of the fram and body panels. I havent been in long so I havent seen it happen with my two eyes, but if Im slamming the jaws of life between the front door and the b pillar and theb applying some serious forces, theres a chance the airbag will deploy. Of course more often then not mos airbags are deployed in a major accident so you dont always have to worry, but you have to be careful, you dont want to cause anymore injuries to the occupents or yourself. Cutting the wires could also cause a short that makes them deploy.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in