02-02-2019, 03:07 PM
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Winkler, Canada
What I Drive: 2009 Focus SE
FF Reputation: 1
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0
Originally Posted by lhanania
Alright so I ended up buying the car. I have a few things id like some advice on:
1) I cannot for the life of me find the actuator for the IMRC/swirl valve/tumble flaps/white linkage? The vaccum port in the center of the manifold is plugged and I cannot find anything under the throttle body. Can someone please explain what exactly is on my engine? I have the 2.0L and can someone please help me with diagnosing if I have issues or not? The car pulls fine and I dont find it lagging in low-end torque however this is my first focus (even ford!). I also tried using a screwdriver touching the top of the intake manifold to hear some tapping noises but the results were inconclusive. I checked for codes and it has none.
2) I pulled the coil and I found oil in the sparkplug well. The amount was not exactly minimal and I would like to get it fixed asap. From my research the cause seems to be a valve cover gasket. Are there any other issues that can cause similar symptoms? Should I go ahead and pull the valve cover off and replace the gasket? I was planning on using a fel-pro gasket, any recomendations would be great. Also, any tips for performing the job would also be appreciated since its my first time working on a ford.
3) A minor squeak from the rear emerges on bumpy roads or when I try and push down on the truck thus compressing the suspension? Is it a shock or simply a dry bushing/linkage?
4) The coolant in the reservior does not look fresh and I would like to completely flush the system. Any specific procedure I should follow? Should I use the chemicals designed for flushing (put it in, drive for X miles, then flush)? Can I flush each component separately? Also I found some small metal shavings on the radiator cap, I'm inclined to say my water pump is on its way out/already out, how big of a job is the water pump? If im flushing might change that while I flush unless its a major job.
5) I noticed the power steering fluid was less than the minimum mark. I know it takes ATF for power steering fluid. Are there any common spots where it leaks? I tried looking for a leak and I couldnt find one, should I go ahead and just top it off or should I try to find the leak.
6) If you have any recomendations for what specific maintenance items I shoud go ahead and do in order to attempt to have the car be reliable for another 30K miles (currently has 189K). I will change oil, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, cabin air filter but anything else? Also, since the coil was submerged in oil, is it possible to test them? or should I go ahead and replace those as well.
Thank you for your support. I drove it around and hour and a half back home and I loved the drive, the feel, and the smoothness of it. I am already a happy new focus owner!
The squeak from the back I’m almost 100% positive that it’s the e-brake cable going through a metal bracket. Just look about 2 feet in front of the rear driver side tire, maybe 1 foot in from the rocker panel. I would actually put something in between the cable and the metal loop as it will still squeak again after a few days if you just lubricate it.
Also I get very conflicting information about the swirl flaps. I always thought that the 08-11 foci don’t have that because the front vacuum port is plugged, and I’ve never seen a linkage anywhere near the intake/throttle body area.