Motor mounts for 2.0L DOHC Automatic - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By felixthecat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 339178
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2003 Cent. Sedan

Points 734, Level 14
Points: 734, Level: 14 Points: 734, Level: 14 Points: 734, Level: 14
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 53%
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%
FF Reputation: 3 IrishBrewer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Motor mounts for 2.0L DOHC Automatic

I just did the motor mounts (actually one motor mount and two transmission mounts) and two of the three went very smoothly, the lower dog-bone mount, not so much but I got it in eventually.

I was having some bad vibration problems and based on the condition of the mounts that I pulled out, the main culprit was probably the upper transmission mount which is under the airbox on the driver side. It was totally collapsed so that is where the metal to metal contact was going on. I did the two upper mounts on the same evening and the car felt and drove much better with those replaced. All of the noise and vibration was gone. These mounts went in very smoothly taking 15 minutes or less for each one. The one on the passenger side sits under the coolant reservoir so you take off one bolt, a clip at the back of the tank and remove one of the hose clips that tie two coolant hoses together. Move the tank aside and that mount is right there. All of the bolts are easily accessible - just remember to first place a jack under the oil pan to take the load off of the bolts before removing them.

The other upper one sits under the air box so remove the air box hose clamp, the electrical connector and one small hose going into the lower part of the air box. You don't need to take the air filter out so just leave the four screws that are used to hold the air box housing together. The entire box is held in with some friction pegs so just wiggle it around until they pop and twist/pull it out of the intake hose and it all comes off as a unit. Then you see the mount right there staring you in the face. Again, jack with a block of wood under the tranny oil pan to unload the bolts. Easy out, easy in.

The lower dogbone mount should have also been an easy 15 minute job as well but the rear bolt was giving me a lot of resistance. I was using an 18 inch long socket wrench and it was taking a good bit of force but seemed like it was turning and slowly coming out. But then, it snapped with just a half inch of the bolt coming off beyond the bolt head. So, now the mount is stuck in there with a sheared bolt and it is connected above with a weld nut so I'm wondering how I'm going to get it all apart. To get the dogbone out, I ended up putting a metal cutting blade in one of those oscillating multi-tools and was able to slip that in between the mount and the bottom side of the ear that the weld nut was welded to. After a bit, I got that cut free and the mount came out but I was left with the last little bit of the bolt still in the weld nut. The remaining part of the bolt had no protrusion from the bottom so no way to get a grip on it. The only good thing was that with the mount out of the picture, there was a little more room to work.

I thought it would be a good idea to remove some of the hardness of the bolt but heating it up a good bit with a propane torch and then hitting it with a drill to see if I could drill it out. I was pretty sure I would mess up the threads in the process of drilling so my plan was to then cut off the weld nut and use a regular nut on the top side. So, I torched the thing for a good 4-5 minutes and it looked like the weld nut also had a nylon insert as melted plastic started to bubble out the top and eventually caught fire.

After I got it really hot, I let it cool slowly for a bit then started drilling. It drilled pretty easily so id did seem like the bolt had softened. Before I got through the top of the bolt with my first pilot hole (about 1/8th inch bit), something great happened. The broke n bolt started spinning and spun itself all the way out. About time I caught a break. The weld nut threads were intact! So, since the stock bolt needed to be replaced I went to Lowes and bought a stainless bolt to replace it (10x60mm x 1.5 thread). I think what happened with the stock bolt is that the dogbone has an aluminum insert that the steel bolt goes through. This is a recipe for corrosion and the bolt had seized up within the insert so that's why it was so frozen up when I went to remove it. The replacement mount was of the same construction so just to be safe, I buttered up the replacement bolt with anti-seize just to be safe.

In hindsight, I'm not sure I could have done anything differently to not shear off the mounting bolt. The bolt was encased in the aluminum insert surrounded by rubber for much of it's length (this was the area that was corroded) so it wouldn't have been easy to get heat or penetrating fluid in there to free things up. So, although it was a PITA job on this last mount, it could have been much worse.

Last thing is that I got the three mounts in a kit from RockAuto. The are DEA/MRC aftermarket mounts and I have read that you should get the OEM part for the upper, passenger side mount but RockAuto didn't have OEMs so I'm rolling the dice on that. All three should come out easily at this point so not much of a gamble time-wise and it was only $26 for all three of the aftermarket mounts and they are warrantied for 6 months so we'll see. The one OEM mount is about $100 all by itself. I can say that right now, the difference in the ride is like night and day. Hopefully that holds up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2018, 03:36 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,393, Level 65
Points: 9,393, Level: 65 Points: 9,393, Level: 65 Points: 9,393, Level: 65
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
My bad...............wrong thread
Old 10-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 34,540, Level 100
Points: 34,540, Level: 100 Points: 34,540, Level: 100 Points: 34,540, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Great.....Hopefully you installed a oem Ford psm.....
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 339178
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2003 Cent. Sedan

Points 734, Level 14
Points: 734, Level: 14 Points: 734, Level: 14 Points: 734, Level: 14
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 53%
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%
FF Reputation: 3 IrishBrewer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Great.....Hopefully you installed a oem Ford psm.....
I did not. So far the DEA part is working great. Will keep a close eye on it.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:01 PM   #5
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 34,540, Level 100
Points: 34,540, Level: 100 Points: 34,540, Level: 100 Points: 34,540, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBrewer View Post
I did not. So far the DEA part is working great. Will keep a close eye on it.
I think so as later on you'll be swapping it out.....
aca2983 likes this.
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in