Airbag light and seatbelt pretensioners - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 155642
What I Drive: 2000 Silver Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 darke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Airbag light and seatbelt pretensioners

Hello Everyone! I've been lurking here for awhile and it's been invaluable as I fix up my husband's 2000 focus. I've been trying everything I can find, and I'm really sorry to post yet another airbag light thread... but nothing I'm doing works. I figured I might have a specific enough question that can't be answered by the other close-fit questions.

I replaced the two front seats to our 2000 2-door hatchback with the seats from a 2005 (I think) focus from the pickapart. Cue the airbag light. I tried fiddling with the wiring harness underneath, nothing. I tried taking the pretensioner bars off his old seats and attaching them to the new seats, nothing. I should note that the new seats didn't have a bar at all. I'm guessing it's built in elsewhere. I thought that since the bars were originally in the car, there'd be no issues. Nope. The new seats have more wiring. The original seats had two main wires that connected, and now there's extra wiring under the new ones which I just left unconnected. I thought that maybe I got the wiring wrong, so I switched the pods of wires in the square harness - not it either. Light is still on. I'm ready to tear my hair out. I can't figure out why the light is still on. The original tensioners are attached to the seats with the original wiring. Perhaps I damaged them? They aren't retracted or anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red ST170

Points 2,046, Level 27
Points: 2,046, Level: 27 Points: 2,046, Level: 27 Points: 2,046, Level: 27
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 9 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Did you reuse the seat belt buckles (female end) from the '00 Focus on the '05 seats? That may be a part of the problem. Here is a link to an '05 SRS wiring diagram which may be of some help: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=208006&page=3
Here are some additional threads dealing with swapping seats from other model year Foci:http://forums.focaljet.com/mk-i-inte...bag-light.html
http://forums.focaljet.com/mk-i-inte...w-install.html
In my experience, the SRS is model year specific. When I installed '03 SVT seats into my '05 ST, I swapped the seat belt buckles, seat position sensor (driver), weight sensing pad (passenger), and side airbags in both driver and passenger seats. I had no issue with the pretensioners.
If you do not have seat side airbags, it may well be the buckles.
Good luck.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 2013 ST3

Points 13,110, Level 74
Points: 13,110, Level: 74 Points: 13,110, Level: 74 Points: 13,110, Level: 74
Level Up 65% Completed
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 42 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Yes, try reusing the original seatbelt buckle and its original wiring. Then you would have the two original wires connected to the original places in the harness. You are right that you can ignore the 05 wiring, the extra stuff should not be needed for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Thanks guys. I gave up for the day after reattaching the original seatbelt tensioners and wiring when the light didn't go off. The next day, we found that the light turned off on its own. I did attach the old seatbelt fasteners... I guess it just needed time to recalibrate? Mainest - thank for the links. You guys are all awesome. Thanks for the tips. =]
Old 05-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 149650
What I Drive: 2017 Focus ST

Points 62, Level 1
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Zoutaleaux Good Standing Member
Similar Issue

Hey all,

I am having what I think is the same issue as OP. I just replaced my seat with a different year seat in my 2005 focus. (Seat was from an '03.) The airbag light is on. The guys at my mechanic's checked the plug and tried to reset the light to no avail, and I don't want to rack up hours for them to mess around with it.

Unfortunately, I can't follow the steps you recommend because I threw away the old seat, connectors and all. Do you have any suggestions or ideas to make the airbag work/turn off that light beyond what you've already suggested?

Is it possible to buy the appropriate ancillary stuff (seatbelt receiver, wiring receiver, etc.) separately and have that installed?
Old 05-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

I'd go to the junkyard and see if you can take the seatbelt female ends and wiring harness off a car the same year as yours. Of course, my ford is quite old... I'm not sure if the seatbelt tensioner is different in an 05. I heard somewhere that the tensioner's in the door in the 05s, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 149650
What I Drive: 2017 Focus ST

Points 62, Level 1
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Zoutaleaux Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by darke View Post
I'd go to the junkyard and see if you can take the seatbelt female ends and wiring harness off a car the same year as yours. Of course, my ford is quite old... I'm not sure if the seatbelt tensioner is different in an 05. I heard somewhere that the tensioner's in the door in the 05s, but I could be wrong.
Thanks for the reply, Darke. The you-pull-it style yard in my area did not seem to have an '05 focus, but I'll see if there are any more traditional junkyards around. That would save me trying to rip that stuff out, even if it will cost a couple bucks more.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:10 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 365098
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus XR5

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 peter wright Good Standing Member
Hey people, my first ever post. My airbag light on my 07 xr5 would not go off so my mechanic told me to disconnect battery, wait half an hour and then unscrew the connections apart under both front seats and give them a good wash with wd40 or similar, then reconnect firmly, and Bingo..light is out. Frustration over. Hope this works for you!
Old 08-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,485, Level 65
Points: 9,485, Level: 65 Points: 9,485, Level: 65 Points: 9,485, Level: 65
Level Up 45% Completed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Forum Activity 40%
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
That will have very little to do with people who change up the electrics in seats by switching years, they change that stuff up at the drop of a hat and if not sorted out properly the issues can be very big.

There are seats with no weight sensors and seats with one or two and even partial weight sensors with additional computers built into them, that totally rearranges the wiring diagrams to not work at all.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #10
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 61148
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3

Points 75, Level 1
Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 shesays Good Standing Member
Miracle advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter wright View Post
Hey people, my first ever post. My airbag light on my 07 xr5 would not go off so my mechanic told me to disconnect battery, wait half an hour and then unscrew the connections apart under both front seats and give them a good wash with wd40 or similar, then reconnect firmly, and Bingo..light is out. Frustration over. Hope this works for you!
Thank you! I couldn't get my 2001 Focus ZX3 inspected because the air bag light was on. My electrical guy said the diagnostic said the seat belt pretensioner was shot. I didn't think so and found your advice. We just did this and found that under the passenger side, there's a 2-inch-square black and red junction box containing pin connectors dangling down that was not connected to its attached mate.

We reattached it and all the lights are now out.

I'm scheduling an inspection tomorrow before something else goes wrong on this old car.

Thank you!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in