Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How to install an Air Bag Delete in 30 minutes

48K views 86 replies 38 participants last post by  focspi 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, this may not be the best way to do this install, but trust me, it is definitely the easiest. After fooling around with this for over 2 hours trying to do it the "right way", I finally figured out how to get the job done fairly quickly.

Tools Needed:

Flat Head Screwdriver
10mm Wrench (preferably a ratcheting wrench)
7mm Socket Wrench with extension
Needle Nose Pliers
12 Pack of Heineken
(I was drinking while doing this install, so if my socket sizes are a little off, forgive me. [drinking] )

Step 1.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! I don't know about you, but I enjoy having teeth, so this is a very important step. Just disconnect the negative cable.

Step 2.

Unclip the front (the side facing you) of the original air bag cover from the dashboard. This is a little tricky, but a flat head screw driver works very well. Don't worry about bending the air bag cover, it is made of vinyl laid over sheet metal and bends back to shape very easily. (Mine was completely bent out of shape, and now it looks new again.) What you do is slide the screwdriver between the dash and the cover, starting on the right side corner, until you find the fixed plastic clips. Then simply pry the cover up until the clip pops out. (If you have to pry very hard, you may want to use a piece of scrap wood to protect the dash.) There are 7 clips you have to pop out, five on the front, and two on the left hand side of the cover. Once you do this, the front of the cover should be free of the dash, though the back (windshield side) is still attached.

This shows you where the clips are

Step 3.

Bend the Air Bag Cover back so you can see the 3 bolts that attach the cover to the air bag assembly. These bolts point down from the cover and are held in place by 3 nuts, 10mm I believe. You may have to push the rolled up air bag down to see all of the bolts.

This is where the bolts are

This shows how it will look once you move the rolled up bag down a little bit

Step 4.

Use a 10mm wrench to remove the nuts from the bolts holding the cover in place. (I would recommend using a ratchetting wrench to save time.) This is the hardest part of the whole project, but I promise it is possible. The way I did it was simply push the rolled up air bag down until I could slip the wrench around the nut to loosen it. After the nut is loosened a little, it spins freely, so just use the end of the wrench to spin it off the bolt. Once you remove all three nuts, the cover should lift off.

Bolt locataion for step 4 and 5, notice holes on both sides for step 5

Step 5.

Once you remove the cover, you will see four bolts holding the air bag in place. Remove these bolts with a 7mm (I think) socket. *Don't remove the smaller bolts in the middle, only the bolts on the four corners of the air bag.

Step 6.

After removing the four bolts, you can lift the air bag assembly up to remove the wires on each side. The wires simply unplug, but you may need to use needle nose pliers. Once it is unplugged, you can take the air bag out easily.

Step 7.

Snap in your shiny new air bag delete and enjoy.

*This install may not be the most fun, but I promise it is better than the alternative method which involves taking out your glove box, removing 2 AC vent tubes, being upside down in you passenger seat, and then finding out that you can't reach the damn bolts anyway. But if you enjoy cussing a lot, have fun trying it the "right way". [ffrocks]

See less See more
#48 ·
Again, focus. I don't think a miata is a great car to have kids in anyway.. it's a large go-kart.

^^^^ Its much bigger than the motorcycle we ride on...I must be crazy, because that thing has no air bags either. LOL

BTW, no offense taken. Just healthy arguement.

#49 ·
Again, focus. I don't think a miata is a great car to have kids in anyway.. it's a large go-kart.

^^^^ Its much bigger than the motorcycle we ride on...I must be crazy, because that thing has no air bags either. LOL

BTW, no offense taken. Just healthy arguement.
Glad you're not taking offense. I'm ignoring the attacks.

One of my friends goes 120 in his Focus and weaves in traffic with his baby in the back. [?|]

#50 ·
Haha that was a great little arguement, I had a good time reading these posts for the last 15 minutes. But I do have to say one thing...

Inandout, this thread is useless without pics!!! Throw some pics on here and show us your work!! [clap] I wanna see the airbag delete!

Emanuel

#51 ·
yeah, I know, I need to try to take some pics, but I didn't think about it when I was doing the install, I guess I can take some pics of everything outside of the car to show where the bolts are, and pics of the delete once installed

#56 ·
damn damn damn i can't get the three bolts off the cover. it is hard as [:)][:)][:)]c. how did you do it. and if any one as done this the right way how do even reach the two damn bolts. i am sofa-king mad at ford for doing this. tell me what tool to use none of mine fit.

#57 ·
10mm open-ended wrench or preferably a ratcheting wrench, trust me, it is possible, just make sure your cover is far enough out of the way and push the airbag down a little to reach the nuts, and I know this sounds stupid, but make sure you're spinning the nuts the right direction

#60 ·
i was rear-ended a few years back in my 95 SHO, the roads were icey and it caused me to rear-end the person in front of me. we were only doing about 25-30 mph. the airbags deployed and crushed the left side of my face, which led to reconstructive surgery. i now have a titanium plate, and bone shave from my pelvis, holding my face together. i almost lost me left eye, and had to learn how to walk again after the hip surgery. not the most enjoyable experience.

i can see both sides of this safety debate. airbags keep you from eating the steering wheel in many cases, they can also do a lot of unnecessary damage. i am a relatively new member, but damn. some people really seem to love slamming fellow members and arguing to no end. i say leave your comment/constructive criticism and move on.

btw, nice write-up!

#66 ·
It isn't illegal to remove them. but yo may want to check with your insurance agent first. some of them wont pay for certain things from an accident if a factory installed safety device is removed.
some don't care either. new studies are showing that during an accident in cerain situations that airbags can cause more harm such as chest, neck, burns, and facial injuries during lower speed crashes, also a loss of vehicle control.
It's personal choice tho. me i'll leave them, i found the tray to be about useless... things (my cell phone into traffic) slide right off it... and out the window on a left turn, thats why i have the airbag back in.
Besides, noones mentioning the light always being on.

#70 ·
Its a good write up, if I had an older Focus I'd do it myself because I hate airbags. But keep this in mind, if your insurance found out you removed any of your airbags, seatbelts or ABS systems, they reserve the right to drop you or raise your premiums because of your actions in making the car "Less Safe" for you and your occupants. Not raining on peoples parades but just giving a word of caution. We all know how horrid insurance companies can be.

#72 ·
arent you suppost to disconnect the battery and let it sit for 20min? correct me if im wrong... also sweet how-to. going to purchase one of these as soon as i pay of my credit card. also does anyone know where i can find the panel with a storage space under the steering wheel? anyone know what im talking about lol

#78 ·
good god that cover is expensive now. $80! I'm pulling my airbags to use a different wheel, and because at this point the whole thing is going to be a track car. Rollcage and harness will be definite requirements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.