2003 Focus Zetec Intake Manifold Gaskets - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 339178
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2003 Cent. Sedan

Points 906, Level 16
Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 50%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
FF Reputation: 3 IrishBrewer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2003 Focus Zetec Intake Manifold Gaskets

I'm getting an intermittent P0171 code (Too lean, bank 1) which seems to point to an intake manifold leak so I was looking for some gaskets to get it sealed up good. However, it looks like there are a couple variations to the "cloverleaf" shaped gaskets. They are described as either square or round, with or without tab. I'm assuming the square/round refers to the gasket cross section.

Is there any way to tell which version to get prior to removal? I'm using the car to drive so I would rather just take it apart once if I can order the right set.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Points 906, Level 16
Level Up 6% Completed
Forum Activity 50%
Well, I was able to figure out which gaskets to get by removing the manifold. It is the type referred to as "square" and this does seem to refer to the cross sectional shape of the recesses in the manifold, not the overall shape of the gasket. I might add that this is not a trivial job as a lot has to come off before you can separate the manifold from the block. I had just about everything off and was still hung up on the passenger side. Turns out, there is a stud and nut tucked behind the alternator and it acts as the lower of two fasteners on the engine lift/grounding bracket. I had to remove the drive belt and remove both of the alternator bolts to be able to shift the alternator back sufficiently to get a socket on that nut (the lower part of the bracket wraps around the nut so you need a socket to get at it). You don't have to remove the alternator wiring or totally remove it from the engine bay but you do have to shift it back a couple inches (just pivoting it on the rear bolt didn't get me enough clearance). Also keep in mind that the alternator has threaded inserts that shift inward when you cinch up the bolts so you have to partially thread in the bolts and hammer or pry the inserts outward to get the alternator to release from its mounting bracket (pry the rear one due to lack of clearance for a hammer).

Fortunately, one of my local Autozones has the gaskets so I won't have to wait for them to be shipped. I want to get this thing put back together before I forget where everything goes.
2003 Focus Zetec Intake Manifold Gaskets-1031190739a-2-.jpg

EDIT: After reassembling everything, I thought of a few additional tips:

1. I ended up with one two-wire electrical plug that I was having trouble remembering where it went. Turns out it was the wire that goes to the block temperature sensor. There is a pigtail coming from the sensor and a mating one from the engine wiring harness near the alternator. The trouble was that the sensor-side pigtail was hidden back behind the alternator so I wasn't seeing where to plug in the harness side. I looked up the connector type on RockAuto and once I knew what it was, I knew what I was looking for and got it hooked back up.

2. When you reassemble the fuel rail, you first bolt it down to the head, then you need to attach the rail of electrical connectors to the injectors. This connector has a wire-type retainer clip at each of the injectors but there isn't room to get your fingers down in there to push them into place. However, I found that these are made such that you can install all of the wire clips into the harness rail before pushing it down on to the injector connections. The wire retainers just snap back into place. Really easy to do if you know that.

3. You can pretty easily get to two of the manifold bolts from the bottom, including one that I accessed through the hole between the runners from the top when removing them. That bolt also holds an electrical connection bracket which is much easier to reattach from below.

With everything back together, the engine is running great and the P0171 code has not returned.

Last edited by IrishBrewer; 11-04-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,510, Level 65
Points: 9,510, Level: 65 Points: 9,510, Level: 65 Points: 9,510, Level: 65
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
The intake gaskets do not commonly leak on that engine, you may not have fixed your problem. Commonly the PCV hose is the issue, it is 2 pieces, the one that goes to back of motor at bottom of intake is the problem, you may have seen it yanking the intake. That hose is the most common vacuum leak on a zetec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Points 906, Level 16
Level Up 6% Completed
Forum Activity 50%
The PCV hose and valve is on my list while I was at it. I'm still waiting for those parts to come in. The hose was kind of brittle feeling and a small piece came off when working on the gaskets. There was indications of gasket leakage as there was some black streaking localized to the top lobes of several of them on the block side. These gaskets had also lost a lot of their elasticity when I removed them. So far, the code hasn't come back but I only have about 25 miles on it since I finished the gaskets. Hopefully, between that and the PCV hose, the code won't come back.

Last edited by IrishBrewer; 11-04-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in