auto gearbox 4F27e no second gear - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2019, 05:07 PM   #11
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,511, Level 65
Points: 9,511, Level: 65 Points: 9,511, Level: 65 Points: 9,511, Level: 65
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Manual for trans in entirety.................save it to disk using the downward arrow icon to the top right of page.

http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/...logs/4F27E.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 05:10 PM   #12
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 413789
Points 30, Level 1
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 bumpety bump Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Higher up same web page shows the reverse of removing VB, like the manual lever shaft on step 39, the servo cover with 3 bolts is covered by it and shown in step 36.

I forgot to point out the 2 accumulator pistons that drop out when the VB is removed and shown in step 45, they and their respective springs must go back in the correct spots.

now that is far more like the sort of information haynes used to provide. i can't seem to find anything like that in the uk. the usa seems to have many ford worshop manuals for this gearbox, but the price to post over here is quite prohibative. cut and paste seems like it might get some use sooner rather than later. thank you again, i am in your debt.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2019, 05:18 PM   #13
Focus Rookie

Points 30, Level 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
that's awesome thank you. my daughter actually mailed me that link as we were conversing, seems great minds think alike. i think i'm going to have some fun chewing through that. must be my old age that i can't find stuff myself.
i love technical data like this, it makes life so much easier. mind you, only stuff that is relevant, can't say i'd be interested in the make up of a saxo gearbox right now.
anyhoo, i dither on. i really appriciate your input, seems tomorrow is going to be a fun day under the car. best wishes to you, i hope your day brings all you could wish for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 09:04 PM   #14
Focus Fanatic

Points 9,511, Level 65
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Simply right click on the link and choose 'save link as' and then 'save' on the next page and the entire file (book) is yours, no cut or paste needed.

You are welcome.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #15
Focus Rookie

Points 30, Level 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
You need a working band to get 2 and 4.

Band can be cracked or broken completely or the servo to it which has some getting a loose pin in the piston to not work either.

Servo is above VB which means VB and mechanical linkage rod have to come off after pan. Note VB has 2 seals on its' top, one is to servo and that blown out could do it too but rarely.

Band harder but accessible by dropping driver end of trans way down to expose the driver end cover of trans which comes off and the band right there. Back off the external case bolt on one end of band and it comes out.

Solenoid A not even used in second at all, it is off. Sol. E is the only one on in second.
update:

well i had a fun evening pulling the gearbox apart.
i started by taking off the solenoids and vb.
it bled like a slaughtered pig. i thought there was a lot of fluid come out when i drained it to do the solenoid the other day. i got seriously concerned my bowl might not be big enough this time round.
i got off to a bit of a non starter initially. the key wouldn't open the hood, with a bit of fiddling i found there was a circlip missing and the barrel was pushing too far in.
after solving that i dropped the box down. the endplate was a bit of a pig to remove as was the cooler hose.
the band had snapped off right where it joins the metal lug. there were no missing bits so i was quite pleased with that.
new band should be here tomorrow along with some new endplate o ring seals. another 100!
i did ask about the price of the measuring bolt. 40.... so i'm not buying that, i'll make my own.
the selective bolts are also 15 each, i was thinking of getting one of each size to save time but at that price i will just get the one i need on monday.
i used to think ford was reasonable in price, i think that no longer.
tomorrow i'm thinking of dropping the servo and pin out to have a good look. it seemed fine where it was, no slop and not broken, but being this far in i don't suppose it's much more effort to check it over.

thanks for the help and data, i'd have struggled muchly without it.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #16
Focus Fanatic

Points 9,511, Level 65
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
MAN, your parts are high there!
Old 06-28-2019, 02:23 AM   #17
Focus Rookie

Points 30, Level 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
MAN, your parts are high there!
i know, it's shocking.
i'm toying with the idea of importing a master overhaul kit from the usa once this is done and keep it on the shelf for spares. at around 200, with a bit of shipping and import duty it would be around 300 in total.
and the bits... i'd have a ton of gearbox parts to play with.
i did consider doing that this week, however the wait would have been a little prohibative. by the time it had arrived, and then the tussle with customs, who wouldn't release anything until duty has been paid, it would be a few weeks before i got the parts.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:35 PM   #18
Focus Rookie

Points 30, Level 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
update:
well i fitted the new band, when using my homemade tool to measure for the selective bolt i snapped the new band, or rather the spot welds snapped off one of the metal brackets. so annoying, i had to strip it down again. fords were pretty good, they replaced the band without any quibble. as soon as i phoned them it was in the next day.
i snapped one of the vb bolts when tightening them up. i felt a touch irritated as i don't have a stud remover. i figured it would be another 40-50 quid for a decent one; however when i dropped the vb off the snapped bolt was quite long, i managed to get some long nose mole grips on it to undo it.
fords no longer make those bolts in the uk, although they do supply the longer ones that go through the solenoids into the gearbox. these are the same size just longer, so i bought a packet of 5 for 2.20 and cut one down to size.
when i put everything back again i didn't locate the selector pin properly, so when i put it in reverse to check it out the car drove forward and nearly went over my ramps! quite a hairy moment to say the least.
i tried to put it back into park but it jammed, so i switched off and had a little ponder among the swearing and figured it must be to do with the vb.
drain down and a little peek didn't take long to work it out.

the selective bolt i had was a no3. it was too long, so i found a perfect washer, sanded it to the right thickness as a spacer, put a little locktite on the bolt thread and saved myself an extra 15 for a new bolt. coupled with the 40 i saved making my own measuring bolt, it was a nice saving of 55 for 2 bolts!

for anyone who finds this thread looking for an answer to the same issue; online you will find people saying you need to take the front wheel off to gain access to the endplate of the gearbox, that's utter rubbish. i put the focus up on ramps and accessed it from underneath. it's not that tricky. there is plenty of room, and it's safer too.
the very top bolt is worth undoing before you drop the gearbox down, it will give you more room, then finish doing that one up last when you jack the box back into position.

i finally bolted it all back and took it for a spin, it's a very sweet little drive. i used to have a diesel version when i worked for the police, as an unmarked car. that wasn't as sweet as this petrol one by any stretch of the imagination.

so my daughter is now one very happy bunny, she's all set to be on the road on monday. we have a new set of front discs and pads arriving monday. the ones on there are okay but showing signs they need a little love, so we just ordered a complete set. may as well be safe.

so all in the car and parts have cost around 450 in total. for a car with only 40,000 miles i reckon she's got a bargin.

thank you amc 49, my daughter also passes on her gratitude for your help.
may your days be filled with splendour and your night filled with contentment.
Blokhead likes this.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #19
Focus Fanatic

Points 9,511, Level 65
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
You are welcome.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in