2000 ford focus fan won't engage - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 126178
What I Drive: blue 2000 ford focus

Points 34, Level 1
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Newbie tnt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2000 ford focus fan won't engage

Good day ,my 2000 dohc ford focus has only one fan which is dual speed,the car does have air conditioning however my fan will not turn on unless ac is turned on or the defroster is engaged.

I have tested my fan resistor with a new one I purchased both resistors(old and new) read same values with multimeter. I have also tested fuse f6,r15,r16 and all have passed with continuity.To further support this I jumpered both relays r15 and r16 on pins 3 and 5 and the fan came on with low and high speed respectively.

This testing should eliminate my fan resistor,wiring,fuses and relays.
I have also recently changed my cylinder head temperature sensor thinking this was the issue.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing,what else would control the PCM to turn on the fans?
Neither low or high speeds come on while looking at the temperature 120c and counting.

I love my focus,besides a failed fuel pump over almost 12yrs she has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned,I need help ford gurus

I really don't want to give up on this car.Any advise would be appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 07:24 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91663
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 SES

Points 918, Level 16
Points: 918, Level: 16 Points: 918, Level: 16 Points: 918, Level: 16
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 6 pbfoot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie tnt View Post
Good day ,my 2000 dohc ford focus has only one fan which is dual speed,the car does have air conditioning however my fan will not turn on unless ac is turned on or the defroster is engaged.

I have tested my fan resistor with a new one I purchased both resistors(old and new) read same values with multimeter. I have also tested fuse f6,r15,r16 and all have passed with continuity.To further support this I jumpered both relays r15 and r16 on pins 3 and 5 and the fan came on with low and high speed respectively.

This testing should eliminate my fan resistor,wiring,fuses and relays.
I have also recently changed my cylinder head temperature sensor thinking this was the issue.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing,what else would control the PCM to turn on the fans?
Neither low or high speeds come on while looking at the temperature 120c and counting.

I love my focus,besides a failed fuel pump over almost 12yrs she has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned,I need help ford gurus

I really don't want to give up on this car.Any advise would be appreciated
My 2002 that I gave my son was doing the same thing. Never did figure it out. I ended up wiring a switch and relay for heavy traffic. The fan cuts off over 30mph anyways. This problem has popped up several times over the years on this forum. No one has come up with a satisfactory solution. Wish I could help.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91663
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 SES

Points 918, Level 16
Points: 918, Level: 16 Points: 918, Level: 16 Points: 918, Level: 16
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 6 pbfoot Good Standing Member
If you decide to wire a switch: The fan draws 50 amps on high. I used a 12 volt source off the fuse box that was only hot with the key on. That wire ran to the engine compartment where it activates a 60 amp relay wired directly to the battery with 6 gauge wire. You can only safely get that much power off the battery. You never want a high amp wire ran into the passenger compartment.Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 01:44 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,169, Level 64
Points: 9,169, Level: 64 Points: 9,169, Level: 64 Points: 9,169, Level: 64
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
A point to make that once through me for a loop for a bit.

The fan uses pretty big power, the supply wires will be roughly 10 gauge or so. Maybe 35 wires stranded together.

If say 30 of those were broken you STILL get perfect continuity and the ohms will be low and you think you are fine, the 5 remaining strands tell you so. Plug the fan in and see if it works, it WON'T, the amp needs of the fan outweigh the current the compromised circuit can carry.

The same rule applies to connections like plug-ins for relays too. You get continuity but the part does NOT work and never will.

Give that some thought. In the OP case I would be looking hard at the control relay socket, it may not be grabbing the relay pins hard enough in all positions. Or socket could be melted underneath where you cannot see it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in