Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK1 Focus (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk1-focus/)
-   -   2000 ford focus fan won't engage (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk1-focus/813461-2000-ford-focus-fan-wont-engage.html)

Newbie tnt 06-04-2019 07:52 PM

2000 ford focus fan won't engage

Good day ,my 2000 dohc ford focus has only one fan which is dual speed,the car does have air conditioning however my fan will not turn on unless ac is turned on or the defroster is engaged.

I have tested my fan resistor with a new one I purchased both resistors(old and new) read same values with multimeter. I have also tested fuse f6,r15,r16 and all have passed with continuity.To further support this I jumpered both relays r15 and r16 on pins 3 and 5 and the fan came on with low and high speed respectively.

This testing should eliminate my fan resistor,wiring,fuses and relays.
I have also recently changed my cylinder head temperature sensor thinking this was the issue.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing,what else would control the PCM to turn on the fans?
Neither low or high speeds come on while looking at the temperature 120c and counting.

I love my focus,besides a failed fuel pump over almost 12yrs she has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned,I need help ford gurus

I really don't want to give up on this car.Any advise would be appreciated

pbfoot 06-09-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbie tnt (Post 11383079)
Good day ,my 2000 dohc ford focus has only one fan which is dual speed,the car does have air conditioning however my fan will not turn on unless ac is turned on or the defroster is engaged.

I have tested my fan resistor with a new one I purchased both resistors(old and new) read same values with multimeter. I have also tested fuse f6,r15,r16 and all have passed with continuity.To further support this I jumpered both relays r15 and r16 on pins 3 and 5 and the fan came on with low and high speed respectively.

This testing should eliminate my fan resistor,wiring,fuses and relays.
I have also recently changed my cylinder head temperature sensor thinking this was the issue.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing,what else would control the PCM to turn on the fans?
Neither low or high speeds come on while looking at the temperature 120c and counting.

I love my focus,besides a failed fuel pump over almost 12yrs she has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned,I need help ford gurus

I really don't want to give up on this car.Any advise would be appreciated

My 2002 that I gave my son was doing the same thing. Never did figure it out. I ended up wiring a switch and relay for heavy traffic. The fan cuts off over 30mph anyways. This problem has popped up several times over the years on this forum. No one has come up with a satisfactory solution. Wish I could help.

pbfoot 06-09-2019 07:31 AM

22 Attachment(s)
If you decide to wire a switch: The fan draws 50 amps on high. I used a 12 volt source off the fuse box that was only hot with the key on. That wire ran to the engine compartment where it activates a 60 amp relay wired directly to the battery with 6 gauge wire. You can only safely get that much power off the battery. You never want a high amp wire ran into the passenger compartment.Good luck.

amc49 06-11-2019 01:44 AM

A point to make that once through me for a loop for a bit.

The fan uses pretty big power, the supply wires will be roughly 10 gauge or so. Maybe 35 wires stranded together.

If say 30 of those were broken you STILL get perfect continuity and the ohms will be low and you think you are fine, the 5 remaining strands tell you so. Plug the fan in and see if it works, it WON'T, the amp needs of the fan outweigh the current the compromised circuit can carry.

The same rule applies to connections like plug-ins for relays too. You get continuity but the part does NOT work and never will.

Give that some thought. In the OP case I would be looking hard at the control relay socket, it may not be grabbing the relay pins hard enough in all positions. Or socket could be melted underneath where you cannot see it.