Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK1 Focus (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk1-focus/)
-   -   Hesitation before starter engages (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk1-focus/812241-hesitation-before-starter-engages.html)

nephron 04-16-2019 01:01 PM

Hesitation before starter engages

Its a 2004 ZTS 23 AT almost 80K miles. First start when you turn the key on gauges and FP come on OK. There has been a hesitation before the starter engages when you turn the key, it is getting worse but only for the first start of the day. It started doing this when cold out. I had a 2003 SE 23 AT that did the hesitation bit when cold but always started OK. New battery and connections are clean. Weird that two cars did this so hoping someone else has had this problem and figured it out. It hasn't failed to start yet but yesterday I had to turn the key off and on several times to get it to engage the starter, thinking maybe ignition switch or starter relay but just a guess.

calpdavis 04-16-2019 01:04 PM

Do you hear anything at all? A whirring sound? A click? Silence?

Sent from my moto g(6) using FF Mobile

nephron 04-16-2019 01:30 PM

Silence only.

calpdavis 04-16-2019 01:42 PM

My first thoughts are ignition lock cylinder and starter relay or solenoid.

felixthecat 04-16-2019 09:09 PM

Connections & grounds good? Possibly new or bigger ground cables....Hows the battery? Age, volts, amp test? How 'bout the starter draw= How many amps does it draw?

nephron 04-16-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calpdavis (Post 11374045)
My first thoughts are ignition lock cylinder and starter relay or solenoid.

Kinda what I am thinking, weird same problem with prior Focus too but it always started. Hoping it was a common occurrence to make it easy ha.ha.

nephron 04-16-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 11374115)
Connections & grounds good? Possibly new or bigger ground cables....Hows the battery? Age, volts, amp test? How 'bout the starter draw= How many amps does it draw?

New battery all grounds OK(Ca. car no salt /water corrosion). Starter turns over normally, just won't do it first start time. Oh well never get lucky, will have to troubleshoot it. Next time it does it I will have to check for voltage at the starter and start eliminating things. I guess I have owned the only two Foci that do this.

amc49 04-22-2019 03:07 AM

Old weak solenoid directly mounted to starter can do that. High resistance in cables that look fine can do it too. Commonly the resistance can be down at the starter, they have been known to melt the plastic interface down there before.

You're in CA, they may not give free starter amp tests at the parts stores, but needs to be done. Anything over 200 amp is an issue for sure.

nephron 04-22-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amc49 (Post 11374945)
Old weak solenoid directly mounted to starter can do that. High resistance in cables that look fine can do it too. Commonly the resistance can be down at the starter, they have been known to melt the plastic interface down there before.

You're in CA, they may not give free starter amp tests at the parts stores, but needs to be done. Anything over 200 amp is an issue for sure.

Thanks for the reply. It got pretty warm out here so it cranked without hesitation so its definitely heat related. I will try to get the cranking amps checked, but again it cranks real good when it cranks. I am thinking using a hairdryer next time it does it on the starter and/or the ignition switch. I am thinking the solenoid too but....Still weird that my prior Focus did the same thing when cold but it always cranked after a slight hesitation that disappeared in the warm weather.

amc49 04-22-2019 08:24 PM

Battery has more uumph when not cold.