Strong Engine Vibration: All RPM's - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IrishBrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 394146
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus SE

Points 45, Level 1
Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 1 Jayce288 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Strong Engine Vibration: All RPM's

I'm looking for some spit balled ideas on whats going on here so I can work on them this weekend.

The car is a 2003 Ford Focus SE PZEV (2.3L Duratec). We did some work on it this last Sunday and replaced the connector rod bearings on cylinder 2 because they spun again. Yes, I know this is bad and the engine isn't going to last, we're just trying to keep it running until it totally dies. We put everything back together and filled it up with oil and she ran better than she did last time we replace the bearings (progress?).

The owner drove it for half a day and now the engine has a STRONG vibration. No noises coming from the engine, just shaking the whole car really bad. This happens at all RPMS, driving or in neutral. The vibration gets stronger with higher RPM (more accurately, the oscillation frequency increases with higher RPM's). This is a manual and the vibration happens in neutral and when the clutch is disengaged, so its not tranny/drive-line related.

I've seen a lot of people mention this could be the engine mounts, but most of them only mention their vibration issue is happening at idle, and I'm not sure if they are this dramatic. It doesn't seem like a misfire, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure if there are any common things to check for with this engine/config, given the car isn't throwing any codes.

The only thing related to my repair that I could think of is the bearing possibly spun again and now the 2 bearings are under one side of the connector rod, making the whole thing lop sided on the crank shaft. I don't think this is technically possible, especially with no more engine tick, but I'm not going to rule it out given whats happening.

Another thing I'm guessing at is to check if the harmonic balancer, or the crankshaft position sensor is bad. Advice on how to check these would be appreciated.

Let me know what you guys think. Just want some ideas to make my life a little easier.

Thanks in advanced
-Jayce

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 339178
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2003 Cent. Sedan

Points 906, Level 16
Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 50%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
FF Reputation: 3 IrishBrewer Good Standing Member
For most of the engine mounts, you can visually inspect them to see if they are shot and they are pretty easy to access. One is under the airbox/snorkel (wich can all be taken out as one piece) and another under the coolant reservoir. For the one under the airbox, look at a new one to see what it looks like so you can see if yours is collapsed. The one under the coolant tank contains fluid so you can see if that is still intact. The dogbone mount has to be inspected from under the car and it connects to the transmission to keep it from rotating. Not sure if this is your problem but when I replaced mine, all the vibrations I was having went away.
nephron likes this.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,507, Level 65
Points: 9,507, Level: 65 Points: 9,507, Level: 65 Points: 9,507, Level: 65
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
The engine is dead and your pitiful efforts have made sure of it. The shake comes from the bearing again spinning.

'The only thing related to my repair that I could think of is the bearing possibly spun again and now the 2 bearings are under one side of the connector rod, making the whole thing lop sided on the crank shaft. I don't think this is technically possible, especially with no more engine tick, but I'm not going to rule it out given whats happening.'

Absolutely possible and many of them do it, the bearing is doubled up in normal use, when it spins the one simply slides under the other to again be the same thickness but they are not. The piston/rod then goes wildly out of balance.

You don't get it, once a bearing spins in a rod the rod 9 times out of 10 will spin a new bearing again and quick, it is damaged at the bore from the bearing skidding inside it and there is no crush any longer to hold the bearing in place.

Engine is junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Points 45, Level 1
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
The engine is dead and your pitiful efforts have made sure of it. The shake comes from the bearing again spinning.

'The only thing related to my repair that I could think of is the bearing possibly spun again and now the 2 bearings are under one side of the connector rod, making the whole thing lop sided on the crank shaft. I don't think this is technically possible, especially with no more engine tick, but I'm not going to rule it out given whats happening.'

Absolutely possible and many of them do it, the bearing is doubled up in normal use, when it spins the one simply slides under the other to again be the same thickness but they are not. The piston/rod then goes wildly out of balance.

You don't get it, once a bearing spins in a rod the rod 9 times out of 10 will spin a new bearing again and quick, it is damaged at the bore from the bearing skidding inside it and there is no crush any longer to hold the bearing in place.

Engine is junk.
I do get it and you don't have to be an ass about it. I'm fully aware that when you spin a bearing, the engine is almost always doomed to fail without re-journaling/replacing the crank. This is a junker Tboned car and I could give the lesser half of a shit if it dies. Just want cheap fixes to make it last until blows up. After the first bearings went out, we just swapped them, checking the scroll for marks or warping and it seemed fine enough.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I wanted to hear if there was any other known issues that can cause this kind of vibration. The only reason I still have my doubts about the bearing is that there is absolutely no tick. The engine would previously tick (knocking incredibly loud the 2 times the bearings did spin) and with this issue, the noise is still gone.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 35,024, Level 100
Points: 35,024, Level: 100 Points: 35,024, Level: 100 Points: 35,024, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 88 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
You'll notice a motor w/o issues, idling is going to be roughest at idle & as you know its a 4 cylinder so they'll be some shake.......Resize the rod or get another one that didn't have issues.....I take it....someone ran it low on oil....Pull the balance shaft off & plug the oil feed hole. The balance shaft has its own harmonics.
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19
Old 12-11-2018, 10:46 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Points 45, Level 1
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
Yeah, running low happens when you're gambling (this was our gambler 500 car, but it managed to live). Stupid oil filter is the first thing you hit given it's front and center. I'll probably tear the bottom end apart and see if the bearings spun again. If they did, I guess she's doneskies.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:28 AM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,507, Level 65
Points: 9,507, Level: 65 Points: 9,507, Level: 65 Points: 9,507, Level: 65
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
The only reason it isn't knocking is likely because the spin and bearing stackup ending location is now in the cap rather than the upper rod half. Give that some thought. One way the piston to head clearance increases hugely, the other way it does the opposite, it gets much tighter to hit almost right off the bat. The noise is the piston striking the head.

Last edited by amc49; 12-12-2018 at 02:30 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in