Tan slime in Vacuum Hoses - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2018, 06:32 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 317321
What I Drive: 2005, Red, zx3

Points 4, Level 1
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 WesleySands Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tan slime in Vacuum Hoses

This is a long one, I apologise in advance.

On a trip to work a haunted trail in VA, our lower dogbone mount completely failed. So at midnight we replaced it, with a new one, and the next day the car is bucking and kicking and bogging down with no power, the last time it did this my MAF sensor was dirty. So I cleaned it again, smoothed out and had enough oomph, it wasn't limiting itself to half throttle and I could get over 70.

That morning's drive home it did the exact same thing again. So I first cleaned it, and it stopped kicking but no power. So I changed it, but the car wasn't running right and I could barely get it out of it's own way. A friend suggested that I may have stretched a ground wire when the engine was shifting around with the bad mount, maybe one for the trans. We checked the ones we could see and they seemed ok. I also noticed that the tumble flap for cyl. 2 or 3 is clacking.

Today, I was going to clean the throttle body and check plugs and wires but I got as far as the throttle body because there was a tan cream slime in the vac tube from the valve cover to the air tube between TB/air box. I pulled the line off the valve cover, more of it. I then noticed my coolant is down and my oil is way overfilled. The oil cap is clean and there is no oil in the reservoir. So somewhere I'm leaking coolant into the oil. The car has never overheated in the 2 years I'd owned it, and the previous owner drove it sparingly. I'm going to check the plugs and coil tomorrow, see if I can find someone to do a compression test on my cylinders. But what are your thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 35,001, Level 100
Points: 35,001, Level: 100 Points: 35,001, Level: 100 Points: 35,001, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
You pretty much summed it up via compression test/leak down test....
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19
Old 10-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 4, Level 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Thank you for replying. I doubt it, but could the engine rocking from the motor mount cause coolant to mix? I wouldn't have thought so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 406377
What I Drive: 04 Focus ZTS Sport, 02 Mustang GT

Points 343, Level 6
Points: 343, Level: 6 Points: 343, Level: 6 Points: 343, Level: 6
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 nephron Good Standing Member
No, not possible I believe.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:11 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,500, Level 65
Points: 9,500, Level: 65 Points: 9,500, Level: 65 Points: 9,500, Level: 65
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Likely leaking or blown head gasket or crack somewhere. They usually do but not mandatory that an overheat has to occur to shell the gasket.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 174481
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus SE Silver

Points 121, Level 2
Points: 121, Level: 2 Points: 121, Level: 2 Points: 121, Level: 2
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 0 Powered-by-FORD Newbie
Head gasket.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 4, Level 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
So I was able to nail my coworker down who has a compression tester. The numbers are as follows:
Cyl. 1- 216
Cyl. 2- 220 then dropped to 215 and held
Cyl. 3- 210
Cyl. 4- 220.

Now, I had a bit of oil in cylinder 4. The coil boot was dry but the plug was coated. I do not have, nor have I had, any misfires. Something else we noticed. The vacuum line from valve cover to the breather tube is blowing air, we both thought it should be pulling air from tube to valve cover, and not the other way around. As a guess, he surmised that maybe the PCV check valve is stuck and therefore building pressure in the engine?
We're both kind of stumped on that one.
I have no tan slime at the oil cap, I've only noticed it at that one vac line. Is that a thing about the PCV valve. I'll pull the intake manifold either tomorrow or Tuesday and see. But it's someplace to start. What are your thoughts ladies and gentlemen? Thank you again for your help.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 387057
What I Drive: '05 Focus ZX3 D20 5 speed

Points 850, Level 15
Points: 850, Level: 15 Points: 850, Level: 15 Points: 850, Level: 15
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 3 onemoddedfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleySands View Post
This is a long one, I apologise in advance.

On a trip to work a haunted trail in VA, our lower dogbone mount completely failed. So at midnight we replaced it, with a new one, and the next day the car is bucking and kicking and bogging down with no power, the last time it did this my MAF sensor was dirty. So I cleaned it again, smoothed out and had enough oomph, it wasn't limiting itself to half throttle and I could get over 70.

That morning's drive home it did the exact same thing again. So I first cleaned it, and it stopped kicking but no power. So I changed it, but the car wasn't running right and I could barely get it out of it's own way. A friend suggested that I may have stretched a ground wire when the engine was shifting around with the bad mount, maybe one for the trans. We checked the ones we could see and they seemed ok. I also noticed that the tumble flap for cyl. 2 or 3 is clacking.

Today, I was going to clean the throttle body and check plugs and wires but I got as far as the throttle body because there was a tan cream slime in the vac tube from the valve cover to the air tube between TB/air box. I pulled the line off the valve cover, more of it. I then noticed my coolant is down and my oil is way overfilled. The oil cap is clean and there is no oil in the reservoir. So somewhere I'm leaking coolant into the oil. The car has never overheated in the 2 years I'd owned it, and the previous owner drove it sparingly. I'm going to check the plugs and coil tomorrow, see if I can find someone to do a compression test on my cylinders. But what are your thoughts ladies and gentlemen?
Id drain the oil and pull the filter and take a careful look at both, running a motor overfull of oil is a problem in itself.

now with that said, when was the last time you looked at your oil level and coolant level?? also look at your oil and see if its a milky color, and i wouldnt hesitate to send off a oil sample to have it evaluated on whats in it.

if your leakdown tests look good , im still willing you got a crack somewhere between the coolant passage and the oil passages.

if your gonna pull the I/M, replace the PCV and the hose and deal with the tumble flaps one way or another.

Good luck

-K
Old 11-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 4, Level 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I've drained the oil twice now and filled with fresh oil, both times. And twice it's been over full where I had it. My coolant level (oddly) had not dropped all that much where I had it marked with sharpie on the reservoir tank. I was going to replace the valve after dropping the IM. I had read somewhere to change the valve cover gasket if oil us in the cylinders, but the boot for the C.O.P was dry and clean. Though it looked like oil had baked on, on that spark plug for 4. Above the threads. I was going to just delete the tumble flaps since they seem to be clacking. Thank you for your response.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 4, Level 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
As an update, I replaced the valve cover gasket, and I have had no more oil draining into the #4 cylinder, also, the only place I'd been seeing the tan slime was at the back of the breather hose on the valve cover, and that's cleared up as well.
Since I'd replaced the PCV valve, my oil level has remained steady; I put 4 new plugs in and ran seafoam through the engine. I'm not completely back to the power I had, but it's apples to oranges from the way it had been running.

I'm now getting a P0172 code: system too rich, bank 1 and a P0191: fuel rail pressure sensor circuit range performance code. It's funny, because before, I was getting a system too lean code bank 1. I know the fuel filter is fairly new, so I'm wondering if the pump assembly is going. I'm going to recheck all the electrical connections and sniff the vac line on the sensor itself. What are your thoughts gentleman?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in