Automatic transmission shift issue - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2018, 02:33 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 404839
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SE

Points 420, Level 8
Points: 420, Level: 8 Points: 420, Level: 8 Points: 420, Level: 8
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 2 Herbertv2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Automatic transmission shift issue

I recently bought an 2003 Focus SE for daily driving duty. Have two other Foci in the family and have both been very reliable cars both 07s on with 104k and the other with 184k. So I jumped at a good deal i came across on an 03 with 108k

The only issue I have come across, is it seems to have trouble downshifting to what you'd call "passing" gear. You step on the gas hard it acts like it is going to down shift there is is like a 3 to 5 second delay, and it down shifts extremely hard. It shifts normally any other time, noticed it shifts up and down more on hills than the 07s do but i'm crediting that to the Duratec having a few more ponies to play with than the Zetec.

It dont seem like the transmission is slipping no noticeable increase in rpm, just a long delay before it down shifts only on hard acceleration, once it down shifts the car takes off like you'd expect

I've read that solenoid A could potentially cause this issues, I am planning to change the trans fluid and filter soon, so while the pan is off swaping out a solenoids wont be to much of an issue.

Getting no codes from the computer, aside from a DPFE sensor issue for the EGR, still working on correcting that one have the solenoid ordered since the sensor only fixed the code for a few days and the EGR valve seems to be working fine when manually applying vacuum to it, causing the engine to stumble an run rough nearly stalling with vaccum manually applies.

Hoping for some input on the issue, any help is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,241, Level 64
Points: 9,241, Level: 64 Points: 9,241, Level: 64 Points: 9,241, Level: 64
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Any trouble going into second? I ask because the band there controls both 2 and 4 (OD). Can be solenoid, band, adjustment to it, and the servo has issues sometimes. The band adjusts with different length bolts, once it has worn enough you need a slightly longer bolt to get the engagement timing back correct.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 420, Level 8
Level Up 40% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
It dont seem to have any trouble with second, you can pull out and accelerate and it ont seem to miss a beat. The issue occurs say im going up a hill the engine seem to lug down further than it should, and if you give it a bit more gas ir fels like it is about to shift to the lower gear almost feeling like it does shift for a split second then stays in the same gear for a few more seconds and shift real hard into the lower gear then takes off like youd expect after a full downshift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2018, 10:07 PM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 420, Level 8
Level Up 40% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
Going to drive the car with overdrive off a bit, to see if it really is a 4th to 3rd issues or perhaps a 3rd to 2nd issue. Only have issues on down shifting, shifts smooth as hot butter when upshifting, most downshifts are smooth as well the issue only shows up under hard acceleration where the car has to downshift to get up to speed.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record, just trying to be a percise as possible.

Anything in particualr i could set up ForScan to monitor for to get you more detailed info for how it is shifting?
Old 09-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 420, Level 8
Level Up 40% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
An update, I drove the car for a quick trip town with over drive off. There dont seem to be any hesitation when it downshift from 3rd to 2nd, if there is it is very minor, and the shift maybe a little firmer, but there is no delay like there is when it down shifts from overdrive. Wasnt able to run ForScan grabed the laptop and did realize the battery was dead. Guess I'll have to grab that later.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 420, Level 8
Level Up 40% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
Changed the transfluid for Mobil 1 Synthetic as per Ford service manual, added a bottle of Lubeguard changes shift solenoid A and B and the filter, car seems to shift like a dream now. Hoping that was the solution to the problem. Personally wonder now if it was shifting down to 3rd jumping out of third and to second, and the down shift solenoid was sticking in to long.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in