Oil Leak - Gearbox Side - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 404825
Points 9, Level 1
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 1 Scoobydoo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Oil Leak - Gearbox Side

Hi. Newbie here.

My Focus 1.8tddi (2000) runs like magic. 222,000 miles on the clock. I keep it well maintained but the engine developed it's first an oil leak a few months ago and I can't seem to figure out where it's leaking from. It must be coming from the gearbox side as it seems to only be the gearbox and surrounding area that is drenched in oil.

I've replaced the usual suspects - oil pressure switch, rocker cover gasket and even a new crankshaft seal (gearbox side) but there is still plenty of oil on the appearing on the gearbox. I've checked hoses and pipes and nothing is split etc. All the injectors are sealed and no presence of oil.

Problem is that when I jet wash the gearbox and leave the engine running there is no obvious drip of oil. Yet when I've been out for a drive there is fresh oil on the gearbox housing (definitely not gearbox oil) so it must be occurring while the engine is under load.

Do any of you have any ideas where the leak could be coming from? A Ford mechanic said to check the vacuum pump seal and there is definitely oil around the bottom of it (nothing from the top) so I've bought a new seal. Could that be the problem? Also, I can't find any sensible instructions on how to remove the pump.

Looking for some advice.

Thanks.

Scoobydoo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #2
Focus Rookie

Points 9, Level 1
Level Up 17% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Ok, I think I've found it. I popped to my lad's house (he's a BMW mechanic) on the way home from work with the engine oil nice and hot and got him to look at it by torchlight. He asked what I'd done and I said crankshaft seal, oil pressure switch, rocker cover gasket, checked all the pipes. He immediately said it's the vacuum pump. He shone the torch at the bottom of the pump where there was oil and held it steady while one of his mates revved the engine. Sure enough there was a hairline gap between the bottom plate (where the pipes attach) and the main pump unit. My lad said it's quite common on Ford Focus's of my car's age. He explained that the plate is riveted to the main unit and over time the rivets expand with heat and contract again and eventually give way enough over time such that a gap that's too small to see with my old eyes appears. But there it is. So when I have a free weekend he's going to drill out the rivets, clean it up, seal it again and reattach the bottom plate to the unit with nuts and bolts. He says he's done this before and never had any issues.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 9, Level 1
Level Up 17% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Right then. Me and my lad did the work at the weekend. Removed the vacuum pump (that was a faff in itself) and there was definitely oil seeping between the pump itself and the riveted on plate. So my lad drilled out the rivets, resealed it by applying some gasket sealant, put it back together with new nuts and bolts, and refitted it to the engine. Now 4 days later and no sign of an oil leak. Everything is bone dry and clean. Happy days.

Last edited by Scoobydoo; 09-13-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #4
Trump 2016

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST3

Points 32,761, Level 100
Points: 32,761, Level: 100 Points: 32,761, Level: 100 Points: 32,761, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 11 pasta Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (55)
Great to hear.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in