Installing HID's and projector lights - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #11
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101421
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 yourmom8it Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just installed my lights, but the high beams are on when the lows should and vice versa. Also the one side doesn't adjust up or down. Should I get a new pair or can the wiring/ adjustments be made easily?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85129
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZTS

Points 96, Level 1
Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 distroy3d Good Standing Member
Well the wiring might just be you plugged the low-beam wire into the high-beam bulb and vice-versa (assuming they're the same bulb type as each other). Try switching them. Not sure about the adjustment part. I've heard mixed things about those types of headlights so maybe you have a bad pair :S.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by distroy3d View Post
Well the wiring might just be you plugged the low-beam wire into the high-beam bulb and vice-versa (assuming they're the same bulb type as each other). Try switching them. Not sure about the adjustment part. I've heard mixed things about those types of headlights so maybe you have a bad pair :S.
There is only one plug. Its for my parking lights, low and high beams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 96, Level 1
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Not the harness coming from the car -> headlights. I mean the individual wires that plug into each bulb. There would be a separate wire plugged into each bulb. Assuming your high-beam and low-beam use the same type of bulb, it's possible you accidentally plugged the wire for the low-beam bulb into the high-beam bulb and vice-versa.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Not the harness coming from the car -> headlights. I mean the individual wires that plug into each bulb. There would be a separate wire plugged into each bulb. Assuming your high-beam and low-beam use the same type of bulb, it's possible you accidentally plugged the wire for the low-beam bulb into the high-beam bulb and vice-versa.
well currently I only have the stock bulbs that came and I didn't mess with wires but maybe. My lows take h3 an highs are h1. I need the bulbs an conversion kit for the highs also. Any idea where I can pick some up?
Old 07-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 96, Level 1
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
If your lows and highs are different bulbs then my hypothesis doesn't work for you so I don't know why the wrong one is coming on :S the projector should be your low-beam and come on when you turn your headlights on and your high-beam should be the reflector and only come on when you flick on the high-beam switch.

There's no point in doing an HID conversion for your high-beams because they only come on for brief moments when you're flashing people usually (unless you're driving the back roads and use your high-beams constantly). HIDs require time to "warm up" to full brightness when they're turned on and if you only use your high-beams to flash people, then they'll never warm up to full brightness. Not only that, the ballasts amplify the power to huge amounts to turn on the bulbs. Flashing people with your high-beams and causing that amplification repeatedly is bad for the bulbs and ballasts.

I'd say just buy some really good halogen bulbs for your high-beams and don't do an HID conversion to them. You can throw in some Silverstar bulbs in there or GE bulbs, easily found at Walmart. Or you can go online and buy some HID-look high-performance halogen bulbs so that they at least match your low-beams. Hoen, PIAA, Putco, and Hella all make high-performance halogen bulbs. Look into that before doing an HID conversion to your high-beams.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
Focus Rookie

Quote:
If your lows and highs are different bulbs then my hypothesis doesn't work for you so I don't know why the wrong one is coming on :S the projector should be your low-beam and come on when you turn your headlights on and your high-beam should be the reflector and only come on when you flick on the high-beam switch.

There's no point in doing an HID conversion for your high-beams because they only come on for brief moments when you're flashing people usually (unless you're driving the back roads and use your high-beams constantly). HIDs require time to "warm up" to full brightness when they're turned on and if you only use your high-beams to flash people, then they'll never warm up to full brightness. Not only that, the ballasts amplify the power to huge amounts to turn on the bulbs. Flashing people with your high-beams and causing that amplification repeatedly is bad for the bulbs and ballasts.

I'd say just buy some really good halogen bulbs for your high-beams and don't do an HID conversion to them. You can throw in some Silverstar bulbs in there or GE bulbs, easily found at Walmart. Or you can go online and buy some HID-look high-performance halogen bulbs so that they at least match your low-beams. Hoen, PIAA, Putco, and Hella all make high-performance halogen bulbs. Look into that before doing an HID conversion to your high-beams.
okay well thanks for all that info. I wasn't sure if I needed them. I will probably have to send them,back for new ones.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in