Key troubles.. - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99069
What I Drive: 2001 Infra-Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Willard Potter Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
A PATS key has an RFID chip embeded in the handle. When you insert the key into the ignition the computer reads the chip and if it's ID matches one of up to six IDs stored in it's memory your computer will work with it. If the cut pattern of the key matches the cyclinder then you can rotate the ignition switch and all works. If the chip does not match one of the 6 stored IDs, or if the computer is unable to read the key's chip, your computer will not start the car even if the key rotates the ignition switch. So even if your new key does have a PATS chip, if it is not paired with you car's computer so it will not work.

There are a couple of ways a locksmith can make a key for you:
DEFINITION: A "Master Key" is just a key whose ID has been paired (accepted and stored) into your car's computer.

1) Clone a master key: The key blank for these have an even fatter handle and do not have a FORD logo. After the locksmith cuts the teeth pattern, they read the ID from a "known working" key and write it to the newly cut key, hence you have a clone of the original key. In my experience these clones stop working in a couple of years. Also as far as your PATS system is concerned this cloned key does not count as a second master key.

2) Make a new master key: A new OEM blank is used, and it's chip already has an unchangable ID. The locksmith cuts the teeth and the key's ID is paired to your car's computer.

3) Pairing a new master: If you have two master keys (not a master and it's clone) you can pair it yourself. If you do not then the locksmith can connect a computer to your car and pair the new key in about 10 minutes.

I went through all of this on my Focus when the cloned master died. In the San Antonio area it cost me about $35 for a locksmith to create a new master from an OEM blank and pair it to my car.
You lucked out, then. I'm getting quoted almost $100 for a clone, much less a new master. I've come to realize that the keys may not be the issue. My master key isn't always working anymore either. Could have just been coincidental that one would work and the other didn't. My new guess is that it may have to do with the wiring.. My clone has been working perfectly for a week or so now, until today, actually. Took me removing and retrying at least 50 - 60 times easy.

This is pretty frustrating. A few weeks back, I had a car riding my bumper on a hill. Red light came up. I let off the clutch too quick trying not to roll back into their car and stalled out. Took me almost a full minute to get the car started again when the key was never even removed.

I know this is starting to work its way into a different topic, but does anyone know of a wiring diagram or something for this stuff? Maybe something isn't making contact the way it should be?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Not sure if this is relevant to all Ford vehicles with this system or only certain years/models, but I'm going to give this a try and see if it gives me any answers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kBZeBbb9PM

Last edited by Willard Potter; 07-25-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: forgot link... lol
Old 07-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 69648
What I Drive: 2001 Dark Red ZX3

Points 14, Level 1
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 ChrisR40 Good Standing Member
Ok, I know you said the Ford Dealership could not cut you a key. How many dealerships did you try? They should be able to cut you a key, even if they have to use one of your old keys. Once you get two master keys then you can get both of them programmed, programming the keys should not be an issue. To me, it sounds like the dealership you went to just did not want to do the work.

A 2002 Focus should use the exact same key as a 2001, to me it sounds like somebody was being lazy either in the parts or the service area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisR40 View Post
Ok, I know you said the Ford Dealership could not cut you a key. How many dealerships did you try? They should be able to cut you a key, even if they have to use one of your old keys. Once you get two master keys then you can get both of them programmed, programming the keys should not be an issue. To me, it sounds like the dealership you went to just did not want to do the work.

A 2002 Focus should use the exact same key as a 2001, to me it sounds like somebody was being lazy either in the parts or the service area.
I called three local dealerships. Its not that they couldn't cut a key, they just dont keep the electronic codes for vehicles past 10 years. I work for a Honda dealership as a parts driver. I deliver to another Ford dealership that isn't quite local to me pretty often, even they told me the same thing and I'm on a pretty friendly standing with them. I brought them the one master key that was given to me when I bought the car and they gave me the same story. =\

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in