2005 MTX Half Shaft End Play - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2019, 07:10 PM  
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 34,968, Level 100
Points: 34,968, Level: 100 Points: 34,968, Level: 100 Points: 34,968, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
It's when you let the axle end sit of its' own weight on the seal edge while installing it that you cut the seal; the sharp edged splines do it...........not much difference there, just enough to be all the difference in the world.
It can be done, just need to pay attention to what your doing & how you do it. For some ppl, I'd say think how & why your doing it that way, just basic common sense. You don't want redo's.....Why slam it out, if you have to spend a few minutes thinking 'bout how & doing the job correctly to begin with.
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19
    Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 03:51 PM  
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 235378
What I Drive: 04 2.3 5spd 146k 05 2.0 auto wifes

Points 568, Level 11
Points: 568, Level: 11 Points: 568, Level: 11 Points: 568, Level: 11
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 RELLIKPIR Good Standing Member
Everyone says the axle seal is easy.... it isn't. At least the nationals from Orriellies were not.... I had to build a seal installer to get mine on after the first one got damaged.
Old Today, 09:03 AM  
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 407165
What I Drive: 2005 ZXW Manual, 1999 Mazda Miata

Points 103, Level 2
Points: 103, Level: 2 Points: 103, Level: 2 Points: 103, Level: 2
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 2 charlesthemonkey Good Standing Member
Alright, here's where I am on this job:

Got the car jacked up, got the carrier bearing unbolted (definitely was loose on the shaft). Couldn't get the axle out at this point, not enough play in the upright to take it out. I guess that's probably how it always is, just wanted to see if I could make it easier for myself.

I was able to disconnect the tie rod for the steering rack from the upright, but I couldn't get the lower ball joint disconnected from the upright. It's super rusty and stuck in there. I got the clamping bolt out, just the ball joint itself is seized in the upright.

Do I need some special tool to pull it out? I think there's something called a pickle fork, but I'm not sure if that's the right tool for the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 09:09 AM  
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91663
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 SES

Points 918, Level 16
Points: 918, Level: 16 Points: 918, Level: 16 Points: 918, Level: 16
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 6 pbfoot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesthemonkey View Post

Got the car jacked up, got the carrier bearing unbolted (definitely was loose on the shaft). Couldn't get the axle out at this point, not enough play in the upright to take it out. I guess that's probably how it always is, just wanted to see if I could make it easier for myself.

I was able to disconnect the tie rod for the steering rack from the upright, but I couldn't get the lower ball joint disconnected from the upright. It's super rusty and stuck in there. I got the clamping bolt out, just the ball joint itself is seized in the upright.

Do I need some special tool to pull it out? I think there's something called a pickle fork, but I'm not sure if that's the right tool for the job.
So glad I dont live in the rust belt. Yes. Large pickle fork or a long prybar. Hopefully no heat will be needed.
Old Today, 02:52 PM  
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,491, Level 65
Points: 9,491, Level: 65 Points: 9,491, Level: 65 Points: 9,491, Level: 65
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 48%
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
It will work but likely ruin the balljoint seal.

Why you are careful with the axle seal...........RELLIKPIR points out if you cut it then you have fun getting the new one in and it's true, why you don't damage the old one. So much easier to avoid that. I have never had a problem but then I've pushed hundreds of seals in, some are very particular in how you go about that depending on the surrounding conditions. The location there comes into play.

FYI, just as a point of interest, I've begun to measure the outside OD of the seal register area now on a new-to-me axle to ascertain that if rebuilt the axle has not been reduced in OD in an attempt to clean up the seal ring area. If it is too small the seal will leak even if new and in correctly. The only way you can catch that is by absolutely measuring it, I look for like .015" or more difference in the axle OD and the seal ID, it needs like .0075" or more each side to seal with.

Last edited by amc49; Today at 03:09 PM.
Old Today, 03:04 PM  
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 407165
What I Drive: 2005 ZXW Manual, 1999 Mazda Miata

Points 103, Level 2
Points: 103, Level: 2 Points: 103, Level: 2 Points: 103, Level: 2
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 2 charlesthemonkey Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
It will work but likely ruin the balljoint seal.
Yeah, I did some more research and I think I'll try just hammering on the LCA to get it out. If that doesn't work I'll try one of the expanding claw style LBJ pullers.

I don't currently have internet at home (long story) so it makes it tough to find advice while I'm actually doing the work.
Old Today, 06:13 PM  
Focus Addict

Fan#: 157234
What I Drive: 2002 Focus wagon 2.0L Zetec 5-speed

Points 5,487, Level 47
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 17 Paul1958 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesthemonkey View Post

What you are calling the 'upright' is actually called the steering knuckle (aka suspension knucle, aka front knuckle). You will not be able to remove the axle unless you remove the splined outer end of the axle from the hub after removing the large nut from the end of the axle. Knowing where you car lives (in MA like mine) I can tell you that there is a very good chance the axle is seized in the hub (although I would try to get it out before I tried to unbolt the knuckle from the LCA.

On my 2002 wagon what started out as a 'simple' front wheel bearing replacement a few years back ended up as being a complete front suspension replacement with new axles, LCAs, hubs, knuckles (used) and wheel bearings. The axles were seized to the hubs (both sides) and the ball joints were siezed to the knuckles (both sides). I ended up removing the axle/knuckle/hub/LCA from each side as a completely seized mass. Hope you have better luck.

Good luck
Paul

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in