Central locking issue on my ST170 - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #51
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,493, Level 65
Points: 9,493, Level: 65 Points: 9,493, Level: 65 Points: 9,493, Level: 65
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 47%
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You can try spraying some white lithium grease up in the latch, that may help. I'd work it a few times.

As said the harnesses tend to break a lot right around the flex point going into the trunklid or tailgate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2019, 04:32 AM   #52
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 404945
Points 85, Level 1
Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 1 jimwise68 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Two thumbs up there...........

https://imgur.com/7HTZu5e

The rivet circled in red is the one I grind off to get the part open IIRC, plus all the other snaps and a few screws and a couple of bend tabs too. No need to remove any rivets on the face that meets door.
I took mine apart and never had to remove the rivet or that part of the latch.

The three torx screws on on the other part is where my issue was.
There are two large tabs/clips at the side and three hidden tabs against the side where the rivet is (where the 11 little white circle parts are.

Once that pops open you get to the electrical motor and microswitch etc.

The issue with mine was that the motor had gone out of sync with the metal latch and micro switch. So no current was running to it and it was seized from lack of electric power.

With my key fob i locked the doors (not dead locked) and then I turned the large wheel and watched my lock button (on interior handle) go to lock position. That way the remote fob, door handle and lock was all synced together in the locked position. I then unlocked the central locking with remote fob and the motor whirred into life.

I then locked and unlocked the central locking with remote fob and it all worked and I also did it with the interior handle button, and it all worked.

I have to add that this was all done with the passenger door open and the latch hanging loose outside the door (not installed) but plugged into the wiring loom.

You could instantly tell the difference and that it was back working correctly as the locking mechanism was much more solid sounding and clicking into lock and unlock positions with much more power.

I tested it for about half an hour, locking, unlocking and deadlocking with the fob and door handles and it was all working as it should.

I have now installed it into the car and it still works perfectly.

The ultimate issue and cause of springiness of door lock button on interior handle is because the electrical mechanism and the metal mechanism is out of sync and fighting against each other.

Once back in sync they work in perfect harmony.

So as mentioned before by amc49 the process of locking and opening the door handle at the same time is what seems to knock them both out of sync as the unit is getting an electrical message to lock and a manual message to unlock.

So be careful when opening your door from inside. As it isn't down to the latch but indeed a cockpit error as said by amc49.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #53
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,493, Level 65
Points: 9,493, Level: 65 Points: 9,493, Level: 65 Points: 9,493, Level: 65
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 47%
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Entirely possible, I was taking note that the type picced there was NOT the exact same type used on the earlier cars (mine are '00--'02), and the red circled rivet was in a different position (way more to the left) on the ones I did. Likely a different design but using some of the same design elements. Yours had 3 screws, and IIRC mine only used 2 as well. The raised back molding contours seem to indicate a different motor used too, mine was not nearly so convoluted there.

How many microswitches used there? Mine used 2 IIRC.

'...and the motor whirred into life.'

I agree, most of the electrical switch issues on these is the timing to limit switches and such that once getting lost or parts run dry of grease to make parts drag to not go through full motion to contact the limits then make the parts act up. I've had both the lock buttons quit working outright or machine-gunning on and off repeatedly in rapid fashion and simply loosening up parts and making sure they can time to the limit switches has themback to working fien for years.

Ford made them as throwaway parts but often they only take a bit of work to make back right again. Your design even better as you don't have to drill and tap for a screw after grinding the rivet off like I did.

At the prices they want for them it could be a productive afternoon going through one, I thought so.

Last edited by amc49; 10-27-2019 at 09:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in