Timing chain and out of the blue cold start lifter noise. 2.0 duratec 2010. - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 05:08 AM   #21
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,430, Level 65
Points: 9,430, Level: 65 Points: 9,430, Level: 65 Points: 9,430, Level: 65
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 94%
Activity: 94% Activity: 94% Activity: 94%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I started cars with straight 40 in them in the dead of winter here and as close to zero as +5 degrees, I had no issues. It simply cranks a bit slower is all, keep the car tuned up and it still starts in seconds.

Running 0 weight here in the Nissan, just got off the free oil changes, that'll be changing too. Probably to 15W-40 since Walmart sells it cheap.

OP, Ford started with shim and bucket but pretty quickly went to bucket only, it got rid of the variable thickness shims to set clearances, they began to make the buckets variable thickness instead of one size only.

The shims were just more parts to keep inventory on and the buckets sell for more than shims did........a win-win.

Last edited by amc49; 10-06-2019 at 05:13 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #22
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 415565
Points 1, Level 1
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Tanner.roath96 Good Standing Member
Yeah it sounds like it so the noise itself is completely gone though so I dont know what it was but I changed the leaky filter and it's back to normal.
Old Today, 02:21 PM   #23
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 335553
What I Drive: 2003 red zx5

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 samsbodyshop Good Standing Member
It's a shame the use of recommend Ford motor oil wasn't mentioned in this post . Ford motor oil is semi Synthetic , has been for a long time . theirs a reason for this and should be the only oil used . GM has changed to semi Synthetic oil use now too. there are other brands of oil you can get that list there are Semi Synthetic , that's the key to prevent lifter noise .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 05:28 PM   #24
Focus Addict

Fan#: 402829
What I Drive: 2010 Ford Focus,2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Points 710, Level 14
Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 69%
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%
FF Reputation: 2 zacautomotive Good Standing Member
Nope not true I don't know where you learned that bull from.
literally every vehicle pretty much made today has gone to full synthetic.
There are many oil standards for different reasons. The semi-synthetic Ford oil is not even that great.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using FF Mobile

Last edited by zacautomotive; Today at 05:31 PM.
Old Today, 05:37 PM   #25
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 415565
Points 1, Level 1
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Tanner.roath96 Good Standing Member
I use penz and has never let me down I feel as if synthetic oil it has its perks but st the same time I just dont see a need for it. I know my ford recommended it but it's fine I'm sure an yeah ford motor oil is literally just the same as others
Old Today, 06:28 PM   #26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,430, Level 65
Points: 9,430, Level: 65 Points: 9,430, Level: 65 Points: 9,430, Level: 65
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 94%
Activity: 94% Activity: 94% Activity: 94%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
If the oil container does not say FULL synthetic then it is likely it is not, and most that aren't will not tell you the amount of true syn vs. non-syn is in the product.

If the oil is fresh then there is no difference in the amount of wear between the two types except maybe with very thin weights. The only difference syn brings is that it takes ultimate temperature much better to last longer, and under adverse circumstances it can lube somewhat better, say like with 2 strokes where the oil strength gets mostly cut by gasoline thinning it out. Syn does better then. The same applies when the oil weights get lower, syn holds up better with that, and why they can lower the viscosity to help with fuel mileage. Where the 0 weight comes from that you can't find in conventional oil.

The OEM main reason for going to syn is that it is priced higher, they can slip in increases of their own easier into higher prices. It gives more profit for the dealers. The oil DOES last longer under high heat and all they need to say.

I'll continue to take the heavier weight conventional oil at half the price thank you, the gas mileage lost figures at around $5 a year, I save much more than that with the cheaper oil.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in