Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Key fob programming and transponder chip.

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sykozis 
#1 ·
Hi All,

First things first, i've done a ton of research plus trial and error on programming an aftermarket flipkey fob for my '15 focus. I, cannot, for the life of me, get my car into programming mode. I've tried 4 turns, 6 turns, 8 turns, seatbelt on/off, wrapped around my neck....Anyway, I found a post on these forums that gives instructions on programming a third key, which sounds like just programming the third transponder chip to allow starting with the key, but does this program the fob as well? I'm a little confused, I thought this was a two step process. Are the transponder chip and the key fob related? I haven't had the key cut yet so I was just focused on the buttons for now. What am I missing?

Thanks
Wes

#2 ·
Hi All,

First things first, i've done a ton of research plus trial and error on programming an aftermarket flipkey fob for my '15 focus. I, cannot, for the life of me, get my car into programming mode. I've tried 4 turns, 6 turns, 8 turns, seatbelt on/off, wrapped around my neck....Anyway, I found a post on these forums that gives instructions on programming a third key, which sounds like just programming the third transponder chip to allow starting with the key, but does this program the fob as well? I'm a little confused, I thought this was a two step process. Are the transponder chip and the key fob related? I haven't had the key cut yet so I was just focused on the buttons for now. What am I missing?

Thanks

Wes

That’s cos on the mk3 keys can only be programmed by Ford, there is no sequence

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#3 ·
Sorry I let this get completely buried. So what exactly can't be programmed, the transponder chip? If that's the case i will just rip the one out of my factory key, along with the cut key, and put it in my flip key fixture. But can the remote locks and engine start be programmed without Ford? I'm assuming these are two different processes. I can't find any definitive info on this.

Thanks

#5 ·
The keys have to be the same as what came with the car for owner programming to work. If your car didn't originally come with a flip out key, you can't program one to the car.

Owner key programming - Insert first programmed key and turn ignition to on (wait for security light to go out). Turn off and remove first programmed key. Insert second programmed key and turn ignition to on (wait for security light to go out). Turn off and remove second programmed key. Insert new key and attempt to start vehicle. If the vehicle starts, you now have 3 programmed keys. If not, either owner programming mode was disabled or the key is faulty/not compatible.

Owner fob programming - cycle key in ignition 10 times. Doors will lock and unlock. Press a button on each of the fobs intended to be programmed. Any fob that the vehicle doesn't react to is either faulty or incompatible.

Only smart keys (push button start) require special equipment to program.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.