Please please help; car stuck in park & brakes don’t work - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2019, 12:20 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 414961
Points 1, Level 1
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Newbiefocusgal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Please please help; car stuck in park & brakes don’t work

Hi, I am in desperate need of some help. I bought a 2002 Ford Focus zts from someone about 2 weeks ago. When I figured got it, it seemed a little rough; I changed the spark plugs, wires and ignition coil and it ran much better. I was able to drive it completely fine until today. I drove it to get breakfast in the morning, home, then to Walmart, home, then to work. When I tried to go home the car would start but wouldn’t let me take it out of park, the brake lights don’t work and the windows won’t work. The shifter won’t let me push in the button at all in order to move it into any other position. I even tried the little white button/press in area beside the shifter. Nothing. Wouldn’t budge. I have NO idea what’s going on. I changed the brake light switch by the brake pedal, still nothing. I checked the fuses under the dashboard and all were in good condition (even had a fuse tester handy too) does anyone have any idea what I can do or try to fix? I had to leave my car at my job and it’s been 4 hours and I’m frantic. I just want this little car to work, this is my first ford vehicle, I’ve only had Toyota’s and I fell in love with my little ford so quickly. I want this thing to be back up and running so badly. Please any advise would be amazing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 07:24 AM   #2
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 100,005, Level 100
Points: 100,005, Level: 100 Points: 100,005, Level: 100 Points: 100,005, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
I would see if the brake lights and windows are on the same fuse and or check to make sure you have power to both at the fuse

The shifter also has to get power from the brake switch to release the park switch so you can shift it

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 704-249-3745
Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 08-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 117505
What I Drive: 2004 Red SE Wagon 2.0 Zetec Auto

Points 42,075, Level 100
Points: 42,075, Level: 100 Points: 42,075, Level: 100 Points: 42,075, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 37%
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%
FF Reputation: 19 FocusKnot Great Standing Member
You mentioned that you checked all the fuses under the dash. There are also fuses in the Battery Junction Box under the hood that could be related to your issue, but since the car starts those fuses are probably okay.

Another thought is that the tranny is jammed in Park. Maybe rocking the car a little while trying to take it out of park.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 300666
What I Drive: 2015 Focus SE Auto

Points 2,140, Level 27
Points: 2,140, Level: 27 Points: 2,140, Level: 27 Points: 2,140, Level: 27
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 1 iceflow Good Standing Member
Edited, it looks like you've tried the You Tube fix using the screwdriver into the slot.

Last edited by iceflow; 08-11-2019 at 01:33 PM. Reason: OP has tried the fix and it didn't work
Old 08-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 157234
What I Drive: 2002 Focus wagon 2.0L Zetec 5-speed

Points 4,896, Level 44
Points: 4,896, Level: 44 Points: 4,896, Level: 44 Points: 4,896, Level: 44
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 47%
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%
FF Reputation: 16 Paul1958 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiefocusgal View Post
Hi, I am in desperate need of some help. I bought a 2002 Ford Focus zts from someone about 2 weeks ago. When I figured got it, it seemed a little rough; I changed the spark plugs, wires and ignition coil and it ran much better. I was able to drive it completely fine until today. I drove it to get breakfast in the morning, home, then to Walmart, home, then to work. When I tried to go home the car would start but wouldn’t let me take it out of park, the brake lights don’t work and the windows won’t work. The shifter won’t let me push in the button at all in order to move it into any other position. I even tried the little white button/press in area beside the shifter. Nothing. Wouldn’t budge. I have NO idea what’s going on. I changed the brake light switch by the brake pedal, still nothing. I checked the fuses under the dashboard and all were in good condition (even had a fuse tester handy too) does anyone have any idea what I can do or try to fix? I had to leave my car at my job and it’s been 4 hours and I’m frantic. I just want this little car to work, this is my first ford vehicle, I’ve only had Toyota’s and I fell in love with my little ford so quickly. I want this thing to be back up and running so badly. Please any advise would be amazing.
Good info above (see my highlight).

Important questions:
Do the wipers work? (engine does not need to be running but ignition switch must be ON)
Does the radio work? (engine does not need to be running but ignition switch must be ON)
Paul

Last edited by Paul1958; 08-11-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:37 AM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,383, Level 65
Points: 9,383, Level: 65 Points: 9,383, Level: 65 Points: 9,383, Level: 65
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
'I even tried the little white button/press in area beside the shifter. Nothing. Wouldn’t budge.'

That signifies a mechanical issue, not electric.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:36 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 157234
What I Drive: 2002 Focus wagon 2.0L Zetec 5-speed

Points 4,896, Level 44
Points: 4,896, Level: 44 Points: 4,896, Level: 44 Points: 4,896, Level: 44
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 47%
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%
FF Reputation: 16 Paul1958 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
'I even tried the little white button/press in area beside the shifter. Nothing. Wouldn’t budge.'

That signifies a mechanical issue, not electric.
Actually I think she thought that was a 'button' for the interlock overide but it is actually a cover that needs to be pryed out and then the ignition key, screwdriver, etc, is inserted and that mechanically unlocks the shifter (then move to it neutral and start the car). Her basic issue is electrical (the key clue being the non op on the power windows). Im sure we will never hear from her again - too bad it was an easy fix.

Paul

Last edited by Paul1958; 08-13-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:12 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,383, Level 65
Points: 9,383, Level: 65 Points: 9,383, Level: 65 Points: 9,383, Level: 65
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Every top cover I've seen has been black, the white part shows up with the cover removed, but then I couldn't have seen all of them. The white part is the actual rocker arm that releases the park solenoid, it will appear to be a button inside the hole. What I was going on anyway, the assumption that the rocker somehow got broken in the ensuing panic.

Last edited by amc49; 08-14-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 414163
Points 2, Level 1
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 BadSafecracker Good Standing Member
Sorry I'm late, but forgive my crazy question: is the ignition cylinder/ tumbler (where you insert the key) the original?

Here's why I ask: After having leased many, many years ago a 2002 Focus, I decided to finally break down and buy my first brand new car; so in 2004, I bought a 2005 Focus.
I had the exact problem you describe happen to me about every 6 to 8 weeks. I would go to leave work, start the car, but couldn't shift out of park. I'd have my car towed to the dealership and, I assume, the ride jostled something and when it got to the garage, it worked fine. I had it at the dealership four times, and they mechanics tried replacing different things each time. On the fourth time, I tried to evoke the lemon law, but the dealership said that they replaced different things, so the lemon law wouldn't apply (even though it was for the exact same issue).

I was pulling my hair out. I couldn't trust the car for my 40 mile one way commute to work. I ended up stumbling upon a forum (it may have even been here - it is going on 15 years ago) where others had the same issue. What they found was that there were two kinds of ignition cylinders. The original one, which had all all-matte finish (if I recall correctly) was the problem one - but the second one had a centric circle so that it was half smooth, half matte. The second was the good one. On the fifth time my car broke down like this, I had it towed to the dealership and when they found no problems, I told (not asked) them to replace the cylinder with the new model or I was contacting the state's AG.

After getting the newer version of the cylinder, I never had the issue again. So, if you haven't had the cylinder replaced, you may want to look into that.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #10
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 414961
Points 1, Level 1
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Newbiefocusgal Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSafecracker View Post
Sorry I'm late, but forgive my crazy question: is the ignition cylinder/ tumbler (where you insert the key) the original?

Here's why I ask: After having leased many, many years ago a 2002 Focus, I decided to finally break down and buy my first brand new car; so in 2004, I bought a 2005 Focus.
I had the exact problem you describe happen to me about every 6 to 8 weeks. I would go to leave work, start the car, but couldn't shift out of park. I'd have my car towed to the dealership and, I assume, the ride jostled something and when it got to the garage, it worked fine. I had it at the dealership four times, and they mechanics tried replacing different things each time. On the fourth time, I tried to evoke the lemon law, but the dealership said that they replaced different things, so the lemon law wouldn't apply (even though it was for the exact same issue).

I was pulling my hair out. I couldn't trust the car for my 40 mile one way commute to work. I ended up stumbling upon a forum (it may have even been here - it is going on 15 years ago) where others had the same issue. What they found was that there were two kinds of ignition cylinders. The original one, which had all all-matte finish (if I recall correctly) was the problem one - but the second one had a centric circle so that it was half smooth, half matte. The second was the good one. On the fifth time my car broke down like this, I had it towed to the dealership and when they found no problems, I told (not asked) them to replace the cylinder with the new model or I was contacting the state's AG.

After getting the newer version of the cylinder, I never had the issue again. So, if you haven't had the cylinder replaced, you may want to look into that.

Where are these located at?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in