Looses power when AC or Headlights activated - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #11
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,385, Level 65
Points: 9,385, Level: 65 Points: 9,385, Level: 65 Points: 9,385, Level: 65
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
OP has not done other logical things as well. I find it hilarious that he describes engine light coming on over and over yet will not read the code posted causing it to happen, then wants any type of money losing advice he can get. We pay approximate $2.5K just to get a computer that tells us what is wrong with car then we don't use it at all. The schools are not putting them out smarter.

Vehicle clearly has an electrical issue that may not be tied to engine light at all, but until one verifies that they are still in the realm of car fixing the idiot way.

Go ahead, change that PCM, I dare you. You will likely not like the result.

More.........

'I have had my battery load tested as well as my alternator while on the vehicle with it running. This was done at O'Reilly's Auto Parts store.'

It is witless to say that and not give the result, maybe keeping it a secret will help you find the fix faster??? More evidence on the worth of schools now.

It's like OP wants to bask in all the self-created misery there. "I did all this and it still doesn't work", give us a break; if you are not going to apply yourself 100% to what is basically YOUR problem. Expecting us to do more than you is........well..... you'll get the point eventually.

Another one needing the owner fixed as much or more than the car.

Hostility switch now off. Maybe.

Check the battery terminals for loose at battery, they can be tight and you still turn them by hand. Crap cable design. The cables have to be good 100% of the entire way they run.

Alternator can be bad and test as good. You STILL haven't checked the pigtail, and the main cable connection can be bad too. That alt design is well known for popped diodes (2, 4, I've seen 6!) sapping charge intensity to create whopping problems like those here. Battery being bad tears alt up (diodes go first) and no result mentioned even though they 'got checked' and how one loses a fix there.

Grounds are not nearly the end of the list when checking for electrical issues which this most likely is. You have to chase down ALL possibilities, not just grounds which are where stupid people stop when done. You got tensioner and belt issues that can do the same and a whole list of other things. The alt changed may be just as bad as the one removed, I rejected one out of every five we tested when I did parts. Right out of the box.

Last edited by amc49; 09-09-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #12
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,385, Level 65
Points: 9,385, Level: 65 Points: 9,385, Level: 65 Points: 9,385, Level: 65
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Voltmeter check on the battery, car not running and then with car at idle in park all loads off and warmed up. Give numbers including tenths. Needle sweep dance means the battery is super low and incorrect voltage applied to keep needles in place, they have lost memory due to low volts.

Last edited by amc49; 09-09-2019 at 08:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in