Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   General Technical Chat (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/)
-   -   2.3 to 2.0 swap. (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/813165-2-3-2-0-swap.html)

power101 05-24-2019 09:50 PM

2.3 to 2.0 swap.

Hey guys, first of all I want to thank you for any help that you give me.

Okay, so I have a 2003 Ford Focus SE with a 2.3 in it. I have recently had a lot of issues with it which are lots of hesitation on acceleration, massive fuel consumption rate, and now I pulled spark plugs and have oil on the first plug. The car has 230000 MI.

So then I have 2000 Focus SE with the 2.0 16 valve zetec engine which was in a car accident that left the front-end totalled but the engine and transmission is untouched and totally fine.

So my main question is, what does it take to swap the 2.3 motor for the zetec? Would I have to swap Transmissions to? I am also on a budget for this car so I want to keep it as cheap as possible. All information is very much appreciated. And thank you all in advance.

power101 05-24-2019 10:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
To answer anyones possible question to why I'm doing this swap, these are the codes that the 2.3 had about a month ago before I did a bit of work to the car. Now it has a p0101, p1233 and p2257. After I worked a bit on it. And the cat is about fried.

Gingershrek 05-24-2019 10:20 PM

While Iím new here, I do search a lot, this forum and google. From what I have read, and I could be off a little, the 2.3 has a different bell housing. But Iím not sure. I would say your best bet at this point is to pull the 2.0 engine and trans out of the donor, then make it a weekend to pull the 2.3 engine and trans. Once they are both out, you have eyes on them, nothing is better than that. Also, I would think planning to swap harness and ecm is going to be a must.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile

msperber 05-24-2019 10:39 PM

First the 2.3 and trans share nothing with the zetec package, actually u r going backward in hp and tq and drivable powertrain. Fix the 2.3 or swap in another 2.3 or at least a 2.0 duratec. Sell the zetec to help offset the duratec build or repair.

power101 05-24-2019 10:44 PM

Yes I figure the harness, pcm, and cat + exhaust needs swapped. But I have this weekend to do it. I have 3 days off but it should only take me a day in a half max, and I have the 2.0 about half way out of donor car already. Its my daily drive so I need to make sure I have everything I need. Dont like to take truck to work. To big for tight parking and gas mileage ain't as great as the focus.

Marde 05-24-2019 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msperber (Post 11380925)
First the 2.3 and trans share nothing with the zetec package, actually u r going backward in hp and tq and drivable powertrain. Fix the 2.3 or swap in another 2.3 or at least a 2.0 duratec. Sell the zetec to help offset the duratec build or repair.

Yes. I totally agree. <minus the 2.0 duratec idea>. Drop in a 2.0 duratec into a 2.3 car sounds like moving to Problem City.

The OP engine swap idea is never going to happen, or should not be done. If done; big time waste, money toss, and great headaches should follow.

With that said... anything like that is possible. Pain threshold.

Marde 05-25-2019 12:31 AM

I forgot to mention:

Would a FF moderator please consider renaming this thread Title into what it really is?

"Replacing a 2.3 Duratec engine, with a 2.0 Zetec engine? Any thoughts?"

DirtyDave 05-25-2019 09:36 AM

I'd fix the 2.3 for sure.
Nothing about those codes tells me the engine itself is bad. You have some air and fuel issues.
Check MAF, Fuel Pump Driver module, secondary air system, etc.
The Oil on the Spark plug could just be a leaking valve cover gasket.

You would be taking steps backwards and also creating a ton of work for yourself by swapping a zetec in there

felixthecat 05-25-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marde (Post 11380933)
Yes. I totally agree. <minus the 2.0 duratec idea>. Drop in a 2.0 duratec into a 2.3 car sounds like moving to Problem City.

The OP engine swap idea is never going to happen, or should not be done. If done; big time waste, money toss, and great headaches should follow.

With that said... anything like that is possible. Pain threshold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDave (Post 11380999)
I'd fix the 2.3 for sure.
Nothing about those codes tells me the engine itself is bad. You have some air and fuel issues.
Check MAF, Fuel Pump Driver module, secondary air system, etc.
The Oil on the Spark plug could just be a leaking valve cover gasket.

You would be taking steps backwards and also creating a ton of work for yourself by swapping a zetec in there

x 2....No one would go this far, if anything ppl have swapped a D-tech into a zetec car. Wiring harness, pcm, evac, fuel tank as well as the trans. At this point, its really no cost or labor effective. Have a look at the '05-'07 st which uses the 23 w/o all that emissions of the '03-'04 23's use.

power101 05-25-2019 02:11 PM

Thanks for all the info. I'm not swapping the 2.3 with the 2.0 After all this info. Is there anything from the zetec I can use on the 2.3?
A few months ago, I had an o2 sensor go out and my cat was glowing red. Took out the pre cat sensor and was nothing left on it, just melted away. So I replaced all o2 sensors, but car still has strong sulfur smell. So I'm pretty sure I need a new cat. Is there any cheap but efficient ways to fix this or go around it besides a new cat?