Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   General Technical Chat (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/)
-   -   2014 ford focus no crank no start problems everywhere (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/812743-2014-ford-focus-no-crank-no-start-problems-everywhere.html)

MechanicMom 05-07-2019 05:32 AM

Ok so first off I am a self taught mechanic. I do all of my own repairs and servicing. Here is the background. Just over a month ago my giance was driving and he hit a rock which put a hole in the oil filter. He didn't realize this at the time and none of the dummy lights went ogf or so he says. Anyways he drove it until it stopped and then calls me. Well I had a couple friends tow it back to the house for me and they manages to mess up the raduator more so then it already was from hitfing this rock. So first thing being first i removed the battery which needed to be replaced anyways due to a bad cell. Then i removed the bad oil fikter and did your normal oil change. Then I replaced the radiator and I removed the active grill sbuttwr. I took the spark plugs out and hand cranked the engine to make sure that it was not seized . thank goodness it was not. I then replaced the spark plugs ot was time. Put a new battery in put the key in the ignition and nothing. Nothing happened. The lights came on and you could hear the fuel pump. I started checking fuses and relays. The altenator is fine the starter is good. Removed the relay and used a jumper wire. Then i found out thatvthere is no spark and no fuel. Again no fuses are blown. I already regrounded the main ground shy sanding the pai t off the frame and making sure it was a clean co section. When i turn the car on I get 2 messages. Engine fault service now and hillside start not available. I also noticed that i have my car in park yet the dash says neutral and wjen j move the gear selwctor it foes throuvh all of the fears but the dash displah does not change. And the obdii port does not acknowledge anything and again all fuses are fine. I am at a loss please help. We have 2 small kiss and ljve in a very remote area an hour in any directjo. To civilization. Need my car running. Thanks

QCGoose 05-08-2019 05:44 PM

It may be your BCM (Body Control Module), or at least one of the connections to it.

About 2 1/2 months ago I went to start my car in the morning to leave for work and after one small crank, the starter just quit. All the electrical worked as far as lights, HVAC, windows, etc, but the starter would not do anything. The gauge screen also gave me the "Steering Assist Fault" message every time I turned the car on.

Over the next few weeks when I found the time, I removed as many covers and panels as I could to try to find any kind of electrical connection that may have come loose, wires that looked exposed/broken, fuses and relays that may have been blown, etc. Everywhere I looked and checked, all appeared normal. The battery was good, the alternator was good, the starter was good (I used to a jumper to connect the starter motor to the positive battery terminal and when I pushed the button, the starter spun but the engine would not fire).

Finally I threw in the towel and had the car towed to a highly trusted shop not far from my house. After a day of looking all over the car, they found two wires out of twenty on one of the main plugs on the BCM were corroded and worn/broken at the plug, like they were over-amped or something. The BCM, it turns out, is also the interior fuse panel in the passenger footwell behind the glove box.

It was an expensive fix when all was said and done, but the car is now running flawlessly and the MPG is back up to where it was all last spring and summer (41+ MPG over a tank without even really trying).

You may want to give that a try.

MechanicMom 05-14-2019 10:51 PM

So an update. I redid the ground on another wire and that helped a lil. Now I only get the engine fault service now and hill start assist not available if the car sits in the on position for more than 5 min. Also it says i need an oil change but I did that at the very begining of this ordeal but i am unanle to reset this message. Also when i plug in the obdii i get the following 2 codes P0012 and P0014 with and additional 2 codes pending P0340 and P052B. This issue is going on 2 months on a veey fixed income and live 50 miles from the nearest town so i don't want to have to tow it. Desperate please help.

Paul1958 05-14-2019 11:21 PM

I can see that you are desperate but in your desperation it would be nice to tell us what year/model/engine/trans/mileage you have.

Paul

Edit:

OK I see you have a 2014.

Does it run now?

Did you try doing 'Resetting the Oil Life Monitoring System' as outlined in the owners manual?

P0012, P0014, and P052B all are related to camshaft timing and P0340 is a camshaft sensor code. Probably all related.

MechanicMom 05-15-2019 12:51 AM

It is a 2014 fors focus titanium 2.0l flex fuel 6speed auto. Just over 65,000 miles the majority highway miles. No it is still not running. Everything was fine with the car until it turned off while driving one day. The rest is in my 1st post. I have no spark no fuel all of the fuses are fine. Yes I tried reserting rhe oil per the propwr protocol to no avail. I have tries just about everything. I am really at a loss. And i dont want to have to disaasemble if i dont have to. The battery is brand new all the grounds are goos and all fusea and relays are good. Anything else.

Paul1958 05-15-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicMom (Post 11378885)
It is a 2014 fors focus titanium 2.0l flex fuel 6speed auto. Just over 65,000 miles the majority highway miles. No it is still not running. Everything was fine with the car until it turned off while driving one day. The rest is in my 1st post. I have no spark no fuel all of the fuses are fine. Yes I tried reserting rhe oil per the propwr protocol to no avail. I have tries just about everything. I am really at a loss. And i dont want to have to disaasemble if i dont have to. The battery is brand new all the grounds are goos and all fusea and relays are good. Anything else.

No crank?
Does the fuel pump prime?
Have you looked for other damage besides oil filter?
I think a key clue is the transmission selector as it will not crank unless it is in park or neutral.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicMom (Post 11377683)
I removed the active grill sbuttwr.

???

Paul

MechanicMom 05-16-2019 01:39 AM

Yes you can hear the fuel pump. The selector says its in park amd it is in park that problem was solved when I fixed the ground. When i had the issue with the rock and the radiatkr the active grill shutter waa damaged and i coukd not afford a new one so i just removed it. Along with the 5amp fuse that went to it. I was reaging somewhere that if you run out of oil or have the wrong viscosity of oil in there that it can cause those codes. I really dont want to have to take it to Ford and i don't want to have to get it reprogrammed.

BRNHOFF 05-16-2019 06:46 AM

heather you still haven't gotten it going? I stopped by your house to check your car out and rose was there anyways my phone been lost till just a little bit ago it just appeared go figure anyways let me know homegirl my jeep been down from bad alternator that won't be in till Tuesday but let me know well figure something out. B

BRNHOFF 05-16-2019 06:56 AM

Heather my jeep been down bad alternator , and you never mentioned the trans selector that could be it hit me up

1turbofocus 05-16-2019 07:21 AM

Bad TCM

Tom