2010 focus rear clunking noise over bumps HELP! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2019, 12:09 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 351210
What I Drive: 2011 focus red

Points 105, Level 2
Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 westlandFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2010 focus rear clunking noise over bumps HELP!

Greetings,

I have a 2010 focus, 134,000 miles. Automatic 2.0 SES. I was hearing a clunking noise coming from the rear end so I took it to the dealer. They said they knew what was wrong---sway bar links gone bad. I decided to re do the entire rear end to make sure the problem was fixed. struts, sway bar links, etc. I replaced all 4 struts and shocks on the car and the sway bar links and had it aligned. Sure enough, noise is still there. It's gotten a little better, but I sitll hear it when I go over a big bump in the road. Does anyone have any idea at this point what it could be? thank you My opinion is it is the exhaust...it hangs on those hangers and it sounds like it is swinging around hitting the car when I go over a bump? rotted bushing?

Last edited by westlandFocus; 04-24-2019 at 01:05 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63383
What I Drive: 2004 Blue ZTW Wagon, 2.3 L Duratec

Points 945, Level 16
Points: 945, Level: 16 Points: 945, Level: 16 Points: 945, Level: 16
Level Up 45% Completed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 sparky34kv Good Standing Member
One of the first things you are going to be asked here is whether you have actually looked under the car yourself? Nobody can help diagnose over the internet without knowing any facts about your car. Get down and look at every part of your exhaust that you can see, then report back what you have found. Unless you have a great relationship and know you can trust your dealership, I would never recommend going to them with something you have not at least looked at yourself. I can only imagine what all they did cost you, unless you have no way to do any of it yourself it's too much. I am saying this from experience, before I was comfortable working on the focus I had. It's especially frustrating when your issue is still not resolved after throwing parts at it. Good luck, please report what you eventually find is the issue.
General Altimax RT43 tires.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 368697
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus ZTS gray

Points 25, Level 1
Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 appsbyaaron Good Standing Member
Sway bar links! Cheap, easy fix. I've had to replace mine more than once on my 2004.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 304929
What I Drive: 2007 ZX4 ST

Points 139, Level 2
Points: 139, Level: 2 Points: 139, Level: 2 Points: 139, Level: 2
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 cwrob95 Good Standing Member
Not sure if this would be the same as your mk2, but on my 2007 I had a squeak over bumps before, turned out to be the brake cables were rubbing on the brackets holding them in place just before the rear wheels. Rubbed through the rubber til it was metal on metal.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:58 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 351210
What I Drive: 2011 focus red

Points 105, Level 2
Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 westlandFocus Good Standing Member
thanks

Hello,

First of all thanks for answering everyone I appreciate it!!

Sparky34kv :

yes I have looked under the car. everything looks fine to me. I am not great with suspension stuff but it all passed the eyeball test. everything was connected and in place and nothing looked rotted or loose or broken. I do have a good relationship with my dealer. I had a major engine repair a few years ago they gave me the parts at cost. When I had the struts and shocks replaced, I told them I had $1000 to work with and they took 15% off the cost to fit my budget. Belle tire was quoting me over $1100. The exhaust seems to be ok, I followed it as far as I could. However, it is very loose, I can take my hand and grab the tailpipe and smack it up against the bottom of the car BAM BAM.. Again, it LOOKS OK but it is very loose.

appsbyarron : this seems to be the general consensus for this problem, sway bar links. However, those were replaced along with all the struts and shocks. still have the same noise problem.

cwrob95: have also seen a few posts about the brake cables. I will have to look into this.

going back to dealer next week, will let you all know what they say and thanks again
Old 04-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2007 ZX5 boring dark grey

Points 2,080, Level 27
Points: 2,080, Level: 27 Points: 2,080, Level: 27 Points: 2,080, Level: 27
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 14 Leora83 Great Standing Member
If you can bang the exhaust against the car, it's too loose and very likely the sound you're hearing. There are several hangers, but usually it's the rearmost one where the rubber rots out (or it rusts off the mount, but you would have seen that).

Looks mean very little with suspension parts unless they're actually cracked, which is rare. Any of your four control arms on either side could have worn rubber bushings that would look fine but show excessive movement when a pry bar is applied.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 318097
What I Drive: Vapor Silver

Points 124, Level 2
Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
FF Reputation: 1 2008FocusSE Good Standing Member
My 2008 Ford Focus (north american model ) ( so same gneration 2008-2011)

Had squeaking going over bumps a lot.

1-replaced lower rear control arm ( bushings weren't great ) replaced around 7-8 years old and 47,000 kilometers

2- as someone mentioned at 30,000 kilometers (im in canada) the front sway bar links went , replaced with aftermarket greaseable moog's. 67,000km at present may 2019 and no issues thus far.

3-Your rear trailing arm bushings may be going -- i have to replace mine -- going with aftermarket moog part #k200064 -- ford won't sell you just the bushing , they want to sell the entire trailing arm & bushing assembly together which is like $200+.

4- Front Lower Rear Control Arm bushings are common on Focuses
i am going to have to do that on mine at present , and go with moog or oem ford.

also i know some people say the parking brake can cause squeaking issues on the focus. there is a guy on youtube doing a video on that i think.

Have all those checked out and probably one of them will be the culprit.
Bushings of some kind is likely the answer.

Last edited by 2008FocusSE; 05-08-2019 at 07:03 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in