Testing 8S4Z-9P471-A Tumbler Rotary Position Sensor on 2.0L - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2019, 10:16 PM   #21
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 338626
What I Drive: 2010 Red Focus SEL

Points 133, Level 2
Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 72%
Activity: 72% Activity: 72% Activity: 72%
FF Reputation: 1 mscotese@aol.com Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Marde, I do not believe my car is a PZEV. It was purchased new in New York state even though it is now in Wisconsin. I searched the web to see how to tell a 2010 PZEV from a non-PZEV and could not find any easy way to tell the difference. Earlier years were easier to tell. My VIN is 1FAHP3HN6AW160064 if that tells you anything. I will email you some engine pics. Thanks, Mike
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019, 12:59 AM   #22
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Points 15,130, Level 79
Points: 15,130, Level: 79 Points: 15,130, Level: 79 Points: 15,130, Level: 79
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 49 Marde Great Standing Member
This situation is kinda pissing-me-off. I hate the unknown, or missing links, or missing info and my ignorance. I'm stumbling because of these factors.

The biggest thorn in my ass at the moment is:
What is the difference in-between a 2010 PZEV verses non PZEV? I am very aware of what Ford Focus PZEV is, and what "PZEV unique" car equipment is ((i.e., steel-aluminium fuel tank, PZEV EVAP system, SAI (secondary air injection) system, 3-catalytic converters)) but I am struggling with this situation, verses the diagram that Paul provided, verses your test results.

Side Note: My 2004 wire diagrams show PZEV unique wiring WHILE ALSO showing the non-PZEV wiring. The problem with the 2010 diagram we are using is that is does not show the differences, it only shows the PZEV config.

Among many of my thoughts; one guess is there might be one or more pin-number typos in the wire diagram. This typo shit happens, rare, but it does happen. << happens in Aviation too >>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
In addition I measured a change in voltage at the IMRC Module pin 2 from 0.7v to 0.1v when manually moving the flaps from open to closed. This was also with key on and both MAP and IMRC Modules plugged in...
That test result makes little or no sense. It might make more sense IF you were testing the wrong wire due to a typo in the wiring diagram. Maybe-maybe pin-2 is the PCM input as opposed to the Vref signal. No way to figure this/that out without (1) an accurate wire diagram for your car or (2) lots of ohms tests of each wire to figure out what-wire-is-what.

Quote:
...My VIN is 1FAHP3HN6AW160064 if that tells you anything...
Ford VIN Etis website is failing me atm. They say (1) website VIN info is offline and (2) your car is a 2004 and the car color is Sangria Red. wtf?

I got your emailed pics. Thanks. Yes, I can not see the tail-tale signs of PZEV components in your engine like I can in the older (2003-2007) engines. IIRC NY was/is a State that delivers PZEV cars to the dealerships. I will assume your car is a PZEV until other info follows.

I need a beer. Oh, wait, I have one. I need a pill.
[email protected] likes this.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:56 AM   #23
Focus Fanatic

Points 15,130, Level 79
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 14%
So, after my pissing, moaning, rant...

Disconnect the car battery first.

Could you please Ohms test the wire from IMRC Module pin-2 to the PCM C175E pin-63. This will confirm this particular bit of info in the wire diagram we are using. This test result should be a normal short (less than 1 ohm). Perform this test while both sides are disconnected. Pin-63 should also wire-connect to MAP sensor pin-2. If you do not find a normal short, try the other pin, pin-3 to pin-63.

C175 are the three(3) PCM connectors; mine are C175B, C175E, C175T. Your PCM is located next to your car battery. I see your PCM in the pics you sent me. Your C175 connectors might be sealed with aftermarket sealant, it looks strange. That connector sealant might be prior handy-work, or maybe just normal... I'm not sure because of lack of picture detail, picture sharpness. It does look strange though.

Side Note: my 2004 PCM is not located in the engine bay like yours.

Which C175 is B or E or T? I do not know. You gotta figure that out.

Here is a PCM C175B, E, T, picture I found online. Please note the highly likely TYPO in the name of the connectors. The actual C175E is the larger (70-pin) one BUT the pic shows it named C175T.
[email protected] likes this.

Last edited by Marde; 04-21-2019 at 02:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #24
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 133, Level 2
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 72%
Thanks Marde,

1. Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
In addition I measured a change in voltage at the IMRC Module pin 2 from 0.7v to 0.1v when manually moving the flaps from open to closed. This was also with key on and both MAP and IMRC Modules plugged in...

Sorry Marde but I had a typo in the above statement. It was Module pin "3" that varied from 0.7v to 0.1v when manually moving the flaps from open to closed NOT pin 2 like I said. Again sorry.

Regarding the wire resistance from pin #63 at the PCM plug to pin#2 at the Module I did in fact get 0.0ohms indicating that the wire is the same one and does not show high resistance. Also measured 0.0ohms to pin #2 at the MAP sensor.

I do have a metal fuel tank but I think all 2010's both PZEV and non-PZEV's do. I do not see any provision for air injection to the exhaust manifold and my air cleaner is easily serviceable to replace the element.

What now?

Thanks, Mike
Old 04-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #25
Focus Fanatic

Points 15,130, Level 79
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 14%
I only have a couple minutes to chat, but I should return later today, in 4 hours or more.

There are still a few un-answered questions, but I am feeling a little better that the 2010 wire diagram matches your car config. Car is or is not PZEV does not matter too much atm.

Side Note: I helped a guy with a Ford Ranger Duratec engine inside a custom car about 3 years ago. During this, I learned that Vref can be 12V or 5v based on Year and/or Sensor/System. I have only seen these two Vref voltages in automotive use. My automotive experiences are very limited, and largely with this 2004 Focus.

Your car PCM "seems to have" Vref at .7 to .8 Volts for these 2 systems/parts. I initially dismissed this as bad info, or an invalid test. We must consider this Vref normal until we can get additional info to confirm this is abnormal.

Please review your initial test results: Did test 2A and 2C have the MAP Sensor electrical connector disconnected? Do you remember? Side Note - test 2B was skipped or deleted, is not in spreadsheet.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #26
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 133, Level 2
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 72%
Please review your initial test results: Did test 2A and 2C have the MAP Sensor electrical connector disconnected? Do you remember? Side Note - test 2B was skipped or deleted, is not in spreadsheet.

Yes tests 2A and 2C did have the MAP sensor electrical connector disconnected.

Test 2B was skipped because engine running or off with key on made no difference between tests 1A and 1B.

In other news: I thought the 0.7v Vref was low and should be 5 volts from online things I read so I replaced the PCM with a good used one I had but did not get it programmed at the dealer to run the car figuring it might still power the IMRC Module circuit and it did but I still measure only 0.7v to the #2 module terminal. This would seem to rule out the PCM as being bad??

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-22-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:57 PM   #27
Focus Fanatic

Points 15,130, Level 79
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 14%
Quote:
...Yes tests 2A and 2C did have the MAP sensor electrical connector disconnected...
The question and answer is not too important, but it is only right that I explain why I asked: I previously noticed the Module (pin-1) PCM Input "floated high" (3.8V) while disconnected, and I wanted to confirm this was also the case in test 2A & 2C (then yesterday noticed you did not say if the MAP sensor was or was not connected) this made me curious. PCM MAP input floats at 5V is a bit different than the IMRC Module, but is not a big deal to me atm.

I wonder if this is a clue? That PCM input floating at 5V while at the same time we are looking for and expecting the Vref to be 5V, -interesting to note.

Quote:
In other news: I thought the 0.7v Vref was low and should be 5 volts from online things I read so I replaced the PCM with a good used one I had but did not get it programmed at the dealer to run the car figuring it might still power the IMRC Module circuit and it did but I still measure only 0.7v to the #2 module terminal. This would seem to rule out the PCM as being bad??
That is a fair assumption. You could also say the reverse, that both PCM's are good. Hmmm?

So, we are at a fork in the road.

Road-1: The PCM Vref output, at .7V might be normal. We need another car (or Ford technical data) to confirm this. At this moment I prefer Road-2.

Road-2: This might sound funny or hard to believe, but I promise you this does occur. I have seen it in Aviation at least 5 times. I call this a Load Induced Open Circuit (LIOC). A LIOC is where a circuit Ohms tests OK, but when you turn the circuit On, the circuit fails. It is the voltage & current flowing thru the circuit that exposes a fault. This fault can result in an Open or it can result in a Resistance, -very similar to a physical resistor.

Now let's consider this LIOC to your situation. The key item in your situation is splice S123. To confirm the S123 LIOC possibility, you will have to perform the following test.

Disconnect C175E and back-probe pin-63 with a needle (I saw you using a safety pin in one of your pictures). Before re-connecting C175E, use your meter to ohms test the back-probe needle is fully seated and is electrically connected to pin-63. Now re-connect C175E to the PCM. Connect any and all other connectors.

Power-up the car (Key On) and test the voltage output of pin-63 using your back-probed needle (positive) and use (1st test) the car battery as ground reference and (2nd test) use any one of the other ground references we discussed previously; I think you were using the CHT Sensor pin-2.

This test will confirm the PCM Vref output AND confirms the possibility of a LIOC at splice S123.

Gd Luck
Old 04-22-2019, 10:00 PM   #28
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 133, Level 2
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 72%
Looks like Forum members are out of ideas.

I scheduled a visit to the local Ford dealer for Thursday to do a $160 Diagnostics Check on it. Hope they can tell me what is causing my P0642 CEL.

Hoping I can still fix it in the two remaining days till then.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:05 PM   #29
Focus Fanatic

Points 15,130, Level 79
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 14%
^^but did you see post-27?
Old 04-22-2019, 10:26 PM   #30
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 133, Level 2
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 72%
Marde,

Just read #27 and performed the two tests you recommended.

I Got 0.7v with terminal #63 grounded through the voltmeter to the battery and the same 0.7v grounded to the CHT pin #2.

I am about out of ideas. I have plenty of time the next two days to try more suggestions if you have any. I'm not working right now.

Thanks, Mike

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in