Testing 8S4Z-9P471-A Tumbler Rotary Position Sensor on 2.0L - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2019, 06:06 PM   #11
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Points 15,339, Level 79
Points: 15,339, Level: 79 Points: 15,339, Level: 79 Points: 15,339, Level: 79
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 89%
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%
FF Reputation: 51 Marde Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Many thanks for the additional info. My 2 codes are P0642 sensor reference voltage A circuit is too low and P2004 intake manifold runner stuck open.
P2004 is the normal, to be expected code when IMRC is messed-up. P0642 is odd. That code makes me suspect the 12Vdc voltage reference to the module, or the module itself, or the return voltage to the PCM.

Oh, I just noticed the 2010 has Vref provided by the PCM, so this may very well be a 5Vdc signal as opposed to the more common external Vref 12Vdc. I noticed this after reviewing the diagram provided by Paul.

Please note that the IMRC Module (5Vdc) Vref is shared with the MAP sensor. So if you check this signal (with a meter) please consider checking at both of these locations. Do you have a meter, and are you experienced enough to perform this test?

Quote:
...Can you tell me if on a 2010 Focus if the Flaps are Open or Closed when there is no vacuum in the actuator and the little white ball joint is up and easily visible while looking at the top of the engine? I assume that this is the Open position?

Thanks again, Mike
Correct, that is the Open position.
[email protected] likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 06:46 PM   #12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 338626
What I Drive: 2010 Red Focus SEL

Points 133, Level 2
Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 72%
Activity: 72% Activity: 72% Activity: 72%
FF Reputation: 1 mscotese@aol.com Good Standing Member
Thanks for the additional info. I am not sure what you re referring to when you say "the module"

I did have a diagnostics code for a MAP sensor a couple of weeks ago but when I replaced the MAP sensor it went away.

I do have a meter and know how to use it but am not sure which terminal to check voltage across and what the readings should be and under what conditions.

Once again what is "the module" you refer to please??

Thanks, Mike
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 07:02 PM   #13
Focus Fanatic

Points 15,339, Level 79
Level Up 98% Completed
Forum Activity 89%
The module = the position sensor. I mentioned this back at post-9. There is no "position sensor" in the wire diagram, but there is a "module".

As for other info, that will have to wait, I'm busy atm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 10:44 PM   #14
Focus Fanatic

Points 15,339, Level 79
Level Up 98% Completed
Forum Activity 89%
Quote:
I did have a diagnostics code for a MAP sensor a couple of weeks ago but when I replaced the MAP sensor it went away...
That is a big red flag for me. It is very rare, very strange that the MAP sensor failed. ESPECIALLY NOW, and because you have the "shared Vref" for the module and the MAP sensor and because the IMRC Module is failing AFTER ALREADY having replaced this Module once before. This is way too coincidental.

There is (very likely) something wrong with the wiring for Vref or the PCM is failing. Probably the wiring.

General note about Vref: The reason the PCM uses a Vref signal is due to the sensitivity of these sensors input/output "as detected by the PCM". The Vref output is highly regulated, highly accurate, to ensure the accuracy of the resulting outputs of these sensors.

Use the diagram that Paul posted, and find the PCM output of Vref at C175E Pin#63. Now visually follow this GN/VT (Green with a Violet stripe) wire to the Splice S123. You do not need to find this splice on the car (yet) but I wanted to make you aware of it, because the splice could be faulty. The splice is likely located in the harness between the Module and the MAP sensor.

Quote:
... I do have a meter and know how to use it but am not sure which terminal to check voltage across and what the readings should be and under what conditions.
The test condition is: Engine On or Off as long as the ignition key is On. Test with engine On if it is not a problem.

Before digging into the bad-splice possibilities, first, test Vref at the connector contact points at the Module and at the MAP sensor. See wire diagram for details. Each of these end-points has the same wire color GN/VT.

Place the Black negative lead of your meter to the car battery negative terminal. Now check for Vref at the Module connector (pin-2), and again at the MAP sensor (pin-2). You can perform this test with the connectors (Module & MAP Sensor) connected (back-probed) using a sewing needle AND also the same test again with these connectors disconnected. Uh, not in that order... use the "connectors disconnected" method first, it is much easier. Then the "back-probe" method if your comfortable or experienced with this.

Vref can be 5Vdc or 12Vdc. I do not know what your car uses for that Vref. I look forward to your test results to learn if it is 5 or 12V. My guess says 5V... even tho my car IMRC Actuator Vref uses 12Vdc IIRC. Different animal.

You will need some small alligator clips, pins, special probes or something similar to use with your meter test leads. Makes life a lot easier. Most-all electricians have this as part of their bag of tricks or are already included with the meter lead set.

Please take great care not to "whoops" short something out, especially since you are testing a Vref supplied by the PCM. The PCM should be designed to LIVE THRU a short of this circuit, but there are no certainties or guaranties. So take your time, and setup the meter red test lead probe/needles/alligator clips carefully BEFORE turning the Ign On.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #15
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 133, Level 2
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 72%
Well here is the voltage test data I gathered today. What jumps out at me is the difference in voltages at the IMRC Module connector with the module unplugged (Test 1A) and the module plugged in (Test 1C). I duplicated this with three different modules. Not really sure what this means but perhaps the PCM is not putting out enough current to keep necessary voltage?

See data per the below link:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10217698419566300&set=gm.751701625224040&type=3&theater&ifg=1[/IMG]
Old 04-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #16
Focus Fanatic

Points 15,339, Level 79
Level Up 98% Completed
Forum Activity 89%
I was primarily interested in voltage only at pin-2 at both locations (module and MAP sensor) while each was connected & disconnected (or a combination of both).

The voltage changes at pin-1 is odd, but is not a concern because that is a PCM sensor "input" which is basically nothing and "floating voltage" and nothing that concerns me (or you) at all.

Your test had all pin-2 measurements at about .7V = not good = invalid test.

So, I have bad news and then some other bad news....

The test results are junk and confusing. I might have wasted your time, and I think I know what I did wrong. The "ground reference" of the meter was placed in the wrong location. Remember I told you to place the black lead on the car battery? Well, that was wrong. Sorry? <blush>.

You will (sadly) need to perform the series of tests again. Place the meter black test lead at either of (any one of) these locations:
Module pin-3
MAP Sensor pin-4
Cylinder Head Temp (CHT) Sensor pin-2
BTW - The CHT Sensor is in the dead center of the engine, on top, between the spark plug coils.

Whoops! Outta time, gotta go, be back later. Here is your test results picture, changed it to a JPEG file format.
Attached Images

Last edited by Marde; 04-19-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #17
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 133, Level 2
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 72%
Marde,
Many thanks for your continued support. I will redo tests tomorrow per your advice.
Thanks, Mike
Old 04-19-2019, 11:01 PM   #18
Focus Fanatic

Points 15,339, Level 79
Level Up 98% Completed
Forum Activity 89%
I had mistakes-typos on pin-numbers info above, but is now corrected.

Place the meter black test lead at either of (any one of) these locations:
Module pin-3 (is a green/white wire)
MAP Sensor pin-4 (is a green/white wire)
Cylinder Head Temp (CHT) Sensor pin-2 (is a green/white wire)

Sorry about my ground-reference brain-fart mistake. The "free" help info found on the web, posted by Marde, should always be suspect bad info or complete BS.

Gd Luck
Old 04-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #19
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 133, Level 2
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 72%
Marde,

Again, many thanks for the help!

I did the following key on, flaps open, voltage tests and IMRC Module pin 2 measured 0.7v on every one. The voltages measured the same with two different IMRC Modules.
MAP plugged in and IMRC plugged in and unplugged
MAP unplugged and IMRC plugged in and unplugged

I did the following key on, flaps open, voltage tests and MAP Sensor pin 2 measured 0.7v on every one.
IMRC Module plugged in and MAP Sensor plugged in and unplugged
IMRC Module unplugged and MAP Sensor plugged in and unplugged

In addition I measured a change in voltage at the IMRC Module pin 2 from 0.7v to 0.1v when manually moving the flaps from open to closed. This was also with key on and both MAP and IMRC Modules plugged in.

What now? New PCM?

Thanks, Mike
Old 04-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #20
Focus Fanatic

Points 15,339, Level 79
Level Up 98% Completed
Forum Activity 89%
Quote:
Marde,

Again, many thanks for the help!

I did the following key on, flaps open, voltage tests and IMRC Module pin 2 measured 0.7v on every one. The voltages measured the same with two different IMRC Modules.
MAP plugged in and IMRC plugged in and unplugged
MAP unplugged and IMRC plugged in and unplugged

I did the following key on, flaps open, voltage tests and MAP Sensor pin 2 measured 0.7v on every one.
IMRC Module plugged in and MAP Sensor plugged in and unplugged
IMRC Module unplugged and MAP Sensor plugged in and unplugged

In addition I measured a change in voltage at the IMRC Module pin 2 from 0.7v to 0.1v when manually moving the flaps from open to closed. This was also with key on and both MAP and IMRC Modules plugged in.

What now? New PCM?

Thanks, Mike
Hmmmm... I'm not sure what is next. But not a new PCM.

The test results do not match my expectations. I am second guessing the config of your car verses the wire diagram we are using. The pin-out info is "called out" as applicable to PZEV configuration only. So here are my questions:

1- Is your car a PZEV?
2- Is there a second (different) wire diagram showing the same set of systems when the car is non-PZEV?

The wire diagram calls-out this wiring as if "IMRC is only there if car is PZEV"... so this is confusing.

We need to ask Paul if he can dig around for an alternate wire diagram, if one exists.

If you are unsure about your car PZEV or not, send me a couple pictures of your engine to my email, or post them here, attach them here, I can usually tell by looking at an engine.

I have ZERO time left, my Son is waiting for me, we are going to a shooting range. Catch ya later.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in