AC compressor clutch electrical issues - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2019, 07:33 PM  
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 411701
Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 bnearhoof Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
AC compressor clutch electrical issues

Started troubleshooting an AC problem. I was low on refrigerant so I added a little at a time waiting for the compressor to kick on. I raised the level enough that the low pressure switch should be satisfied so I began to look at running the compressor manually. I had the fan blowing on high and the AC turned on during my refrigerant top up.

I found the relay and measured pins 3 and 5. Both pins measured as ground. I found no voltage on them however when I measured from positive of the battery to the relay pins I could see 12 volts on both pins. I unplugged the connector at the clutch and one path to ground was gone but still showed a path to ground on the other pin. I started the engine and measured again and the voltage appears to be floating but not at either extreme. In reference to the positive terminal I see 5 volts potential and then in reference to the negative battery terminal I see a +9 potential.

I cant find a good schematic anywhere to determine what is on the line side of the relay. I am pretty sure that the load side is simply the compressor and ground. I was able to see ground on one side of the clutch plug and nothing on the other side.

2001 Ford Focus SE with the DOHC Zetec

Any ideas?

Last edited by bnearhoof; 04-04-2019 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 10:05 PM  
Focus Addict

Fan#: 157234
What I Drive: 2002 Focus wagon 2.0L Zetec 5-speed

Points 4,180, Level 41
Points: 4,180, Level: 41 Points: 4,180, Level: 41 Points: 4,180, Level: 41
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 16 Paul1958 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnearhoof View Post
Started troubleshooting an AC problem. I was low on refrigerant so I added a little at a time waiting for the compressor to kick on. I raised the level enough that the low pressure switch should be satisfied so I began to look at running the compressor manually. I had the fan blowing on high and the AC turned on during my refrigerant top up.

I found the relay and measured pins 3 and 5. Both pins measured as ground. I found no voltage on them however when I measured from positive of the battery to the relay pins I could see 12 volts on both pins. I unplugged the connector at the clutch and one path to ground was gone but still showed a path to ground on the other pin. I started the engine and measured again and the voltage appears to be floating but not at either extreme. In reference to the positive terminal I see 5 volts potential and then in reference to the negative battery terminal I see a +9 potential.

I cant find a good schematic anywhere to determine what is on the line side of the relay. I am pretty sure that the load side is simply the compressor and ground. I was able to see ground on one side of the clutch plug and nothing on the other side.

2001 Ford Focus SE with the DOHC Zetec

Any ideas?
What are the H/L manifold pressures?

Attached schematic*
(*2002, could not find 2001 - not sure if they are the same or not)

F15 (BJB) is hot at all times
WOT relay powers compressor clutch. WOT relay control side (pin 2) controlled by PCM via input from heater control module, dual pressure switch, AC cycling switch, and/or demisting (defrost) switch.

When you push the AC button on the control module does the light come on? Do ALL you fans speeds work?
Good luck
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
AC compressor clutch electrical issues-2002-ac1.jpg  

AC compressor clutch electrical issues-2002-ac2.jpg  

Last edited by Paul1958; 04-04-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:42 PM  
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 411701
Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 bnearhoof Good Standing Member
The low pressure side sits about 25 psi, measurement taken with a refill kit. The schematics are not accurate because F15 is not a used fuse location in the 2001. I was able to use my voltmeter in amps and jump from the positive of the battery to the load side of the relay sock. The clutch works perfectly and the pumps sounds very smooth. The AC on the console does come on when I press it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 04:22 PM  
Focus Addict

Fan#: 157234
What I Drive: 2002 Focus wagon 2.0L Zetec 5-speed

Points 4,180, Level 41
Points: 4,180, Level: 41 Points: 4,180, Level: 41 Points: 4,180, Level: 41
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 16 Paul1958 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnearhoof View Post
The schematics are not accurate because F15 is not a used fuse location in the 2001.
The schematic IS accurate - for a 2002. As I told you I dont have access to that 2001 schematic. Perhaps another FF member has that schematic.

Having only low side pressure is not adequate to determine refrigerant quantity. Even having both H and L you can only infer the amount. The only way to 100 percent be certain is by weight.

Paul
Old 04-07-2019, 12:03 AM  
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,185, Level 64
Points: 9,185, Level: 64 Points: 9,185, Level: 64 Points: 9,185, Level: 64
Level Up 45% Completed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
If the entire system is only at 25 psi...........well, the compressor will not stay on long enough to do anything like that. It will simply go on and immediately switch back off. You have to provide a lot more pressure overhead to keep compressor running long enough to test anything. Normal static number is roughly 90-110 psi system not working.

Correct low side operation is cycling from high to low in a 50ish psi down to 20/25 psi repeating loop. Careful charging can get you to a 40+ psi constant. Depends on how dirty your orifice is (please, no bad jokes).

Last edited by amc49; 04-07-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:20 AM  
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Points 14,962, Level 79
Points: 14,962, Level: 79 Points: 14,962, Level: 79 Points: 14,962, Level: 79
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 49 Marde Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
...Depends on how dirty your orifice is (please, no bad jokes).
A dirty orifice tube walks into a bar and asks the bar tend for a dirty dry martini. The order was quickly interrupted by a Priest, a Pollock, and a Jew,... they all said the same thing together <<enter your bad punch-line here>>.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in